Chicago to Galesburg and back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to make a points run to GBB and back for NTD and invited my girl friend. The plan was to take 5 to GBB, eat dinner at the Landmark Creperie which is 2 blocks from the station, and return on 382. Originally, I booked coach seats. Said trip was booked a week before on Saturday, so the thoughts of a points run on Amtrak kept me going during a busy week at school. Friday night, I attended prom. I enjoyed seeing my students in their glory, but I was guilty at sneaking a few peaks at the Amtrak status maps on my Iphone when nobody was looking. I left probably as things were starting to heat up, but I wanted a good nights sleep.

Picked up Rosalyn and we made are way to Union station. I parked in my usual spot in the garage, and we walked into the station. It was PACKED with people visiting for train day. This was a good thing. As I stood in line, I had the idea to upgrade to a sleeper. The agent quoted a fare of 83 dollars. Rosalyn's eyes bulged a bit when she heard the agent say "sleeper", but she did enjoy the sanctuary of the metropolitan lounge.

5 boarded about 1:30. We had room 4 in the 531 car. We weaved are way down the platform and saw that that BNSF had two private cars attached to 3. I pointed them out to Rosalyn. We walked the rest of the way to our sleeper and boarded. The attendant was busy helping other passengers. He was on point, but I got the impression he was new. Since I knew exactly where room 4 was we went up the stairs and settled in. The coats went in the closet, and the scanner came out.

Rosalyn immediately noticed the draft from the hallway vent. This was addressed by closing the door. I programmed the scanner to the correct channel (Thanks OTOL for the scanner frequencies page). We got the highball, and off we went.

As we accelerated pass Cicero, I showed off for Rosalyn. I named every commuter stop from before we passed it until we began to slow down near Downers Grove. I checked my commuter schedule and noted that we were following a commuter train. I explained this to Rosalyn. Also noted that we could not cross over to the far track because an inbound commuter was schedule to be in Naperville at the same time. The whole time, the scanner was squawking as the crew called signals. This sure beats the hell out of prom.

After we left Naperville, we slowed to a stop to meet 6. 4 had passed earlier. Several freights were occupying the middle track. BNSF dispatch did a fine job getting Amtrak through the congestions. We lost less than 5 minutes.

After Aurora, we both looked out the window(immaculately clean by the way) all the way to Galesburg. Rosalyn enjoyed watching farmers planting. We speculated on the crops that were just beginning to sprout. All in all, a fine ride to Galesburg. Before we knew it, it was time to get off.

As we walked through the station, I explained to Rosalyn that Galesburg was the starting point of my fascination with long distance train rides. In 1974 when I was 8, my family took a cross country trip on the San Francisco Zephyr. I told Rosalyn I could close my eyes and see the San Francisco Zephyr pulling into the station. I recalled more details as we ate dinner at the Land Mark Creperie. As we left the restaurant, we saw 3 stopped at the station. Of course we stood and watched as it rolled out of town. It was neat seeing the private varnish again.

After dinner we walked up and down Seminary street. We discovered a book store across the street from the Landmark Creperie. We both bought a used book for 5 dollars. We walked back to the station and waited for 382.

382 arrived on time. We were in BC, along with 2 other passengers. The ambience was just not the same as the zephyr. The whistle blasted for all of the crossings, and was intrusive to our conversations at times. On the Zephyr, the whistle was just right, a distance melody that added to the pleasure of the trip. The seats were comfortable though. We both read our books and relaxed as we returned to Chicago. We were 15 minutes early.

Rosalyn enjoyed the trip, but noted we hardly spent anytime in GBB. Next time, I will plan a trip where we can stay a bit longer.

Sounds like a great day trip, especially being able to do one of the legs on a long distance train! I'm still hoping to sneak off work for a day and get a Triple Points run in on the Heartland Flyer and either catch lunch in FTW or take the TRE (Commuter) over to DAL and maybe get lucky again and bag some RDC (Rail Diesel Car) time.

382 arrived on time. We were in BC, along with 2 other passengers. The ambience was just not the same as the zephyr. The whistle blasted for all of the crossings, and was intrusive to our conversations at times.
The very reason why I've never sprung for BC on 380,381,382 or 383. Apparently it is a 50/50 chance that it will be right behind the engine, rather than on the tail end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back