Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the way in which the airlines make it simpler at the gate is by removing any connection between lounge access prior to that flight and priority boarding. Typically airlines allow priority boarding based on class of travel on the flight being boarded plus priority boarding for frequent flyer program status holders. The beauty of this is that each passenger has this information printed on their boarding pass. So no additional information is needed by the gate agent to determine who gets what priority, and they can act independent of anything else and manage the gate according to rules that apply at the gate based on a single document.

In Amtrak's case the situation is complicated because in addition to the class of travel on the train being boarded and the AGR status, there is also this business of what class the passenger may have traveled in on other trains for the rest of the day, or what class they may be traveling later in the day. However, that information is available and could be imprinted on the e-ticket for each segment, and then we can forget about what the lounge does and just have the gate agents allow for two lines. Heck United now has 5 lines at each gate managed by the gate agents according to priority imprinted on the boarding pass as a single boarding priority number one through five. No one has any doubt about what line they belong in if they bother to read their boarding pass.

Whe I was working in Bell Labs we were taught that if one can totally eliminate the need for a piece of equipment or a handshake between two, then there is one less thing that can break. That is always desirable - i.e. to minimize the places where and ways in which the system can break.

Last edited by a moderator:
If only each boarding procedure could go as smoothly as it did when I was in Chicago last month.
That's the reason I haven't contacted and complained - the two times I've boarded from the lounge, I did not have problems. As with so many frustrations people have with Amtrak, this seems like another case of inconsistency.
You see, that's what I don't get.....when something works, why not repeat the process? The kindergarten walk in the old lounge worked. The procedure they used the day I rode worked. Obviously, communication was key in those situations.
Right - it could be as simple as the Lounge radio'ing ahead to the gate that they are on their way with the business/sleeper passengers and then the gate person can meet them at the rope.
Simpler yet.....no rope involved like when I rode last month. But yes, if they feel they have to route people through the south boarding lounge (WHY?), that works. They don't, though.....just give the passengers which track number to go to, direct them down the side hall and to their train. I can't imagine any simpler way of doing it. And, oh by the way, do it at the priority boarding time so a mess with the coach passengers is avoided.

I'm anxious to see how they do boarding when I'm in Chicago for my first long distance trip boarding from the new lounge in October.

I think the way in which the airlines make it simpler at the gate is by removing any connection between lounge access prior to that flight and priority boarding. Typically airlines allow priority boarding based on class of travel on the flight being boarded plus priority boarding for frequent flyer program status holders. The beauty of this is that each passenger has this information printed on their boarding pass. So no additional information is needed by the gate agent to determine who gets what priority, and they can act independent of anything else and manage the gate according to rules that apply at the gate based on a single document.

In Amtrak's case the situation is complicated because in addition to the class of travel on the train being boarded and the AGR status, there is also this business of what class the passenger may have traveled in on other trains for the rest of the day, or what class they may be traveling later in the day. However, that information is available and could be imprinted on the e-ticket for each segment, and then we can forget about what the lounge does and just have the gate agents allow for two lines. Heck United now has 5 lines at each gate managed by the gate agents according to priority imprinted on the boarding pass as a single boarding priority number one through five. No one has any doubt about what line they belong in if they bother to read their boarding pass.

Whe I was working in Bell Labs we were taught that if one can totally eliminate the need for a piece of equipment or a handshake between two, then there is one less thing that can break. That is always desirable - i.e. to minimize the places where and ways in which the system can bI
I think 2 lines would work great - at least then if you have to show up to the boarding gate you don't get stuck behind coach. When it's time to call priority passengers you can avoid the whole piling up at the gate. Coach can wait until all Business/Sleepers have boarded and then they can board (watch Southwest - it's great!) Also would be good if you could just pick a seat when you make your reservation, like you can on the airline websites. Since Business Class serves all train destinations it's not like you have to wait for the conductor to tell you which car to go to. Amtrak is way behind the times! LOL!

Washington Union Station has new lines set up at the gates. They removed all the seating and put in stanchions to make a snake-like queue at each gate, but there is a separate lane at each gate also that has a sign that says priority boarding for sleeper, select plus, military, etc.

Washington Union Station has new lines set up at the gates. They removed all the seating and put in stanchions to make a snake-like queue at each gate, but there is a separate lane at each gate also that has a sign that says priority boarding for sleeper, select plus, military, etc.
Ys indeed! Washington handles it quite well these days. That is why I believe the Chicago problem is well ... a Chicago problem, like many other Chicago problems in Amtrak operations there.

I don't wish to move the topic too far off course, but looking into what one hopes is the not too distant future, Chicago Union Station will be converting its unused mail platform into two passenger platforms, each servicing two tracks. Arup was recently hired to conduct the design phase of the project. When complete, the new platforms won't have a single point of access, as is the case with all the current platforms. Each new platform will have four points of access from below. If they can't currently get boarding from one point right, how will they ever manage four?

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone reading this thread used the new shower facilities? If so, please post a report about how that works. (For example: Is it being used by enough folks that you need to wait in line?)
I spent some time recently in the ML; and even though I didn't need a shower and was only taking a corridor train, I had to try it. I'm happy to report that it was hot and wet. And no, there wasn't a line.

You give the desk clerk your ID and they give you an electronic key, towel, and wash cloth. You deposit the used towel and wash cloth in a bucket and return the key to the desk to get your ID back. All very simple.

Has anyone reading this thread used the new shower facilities? If so, please post a report about how that works. (For example: Is it being used by enough folks that you need to wait in line?)
I spent some time recently in the ML; and even though I didn't need a shower and was only taking a corridor train, I had to try it. I'm happy to report that it was hot and wet. And no, there wasn't a line.

You give the desk clerk your ID and they give you an electronic key, towel, and wash cloth. You deposit the used towel and wash cloth in a bucket and return the key to the desk to get your ID back. All very simple.
Thanks for the info! I'm doing a cross-country trip next month, and after three nights on trains a stationary shower will be a very good thing.

Can we go back to the old lounge please???
Wouldn't it be better to use the old boarding system where one was walked by a Lounge Employee to the Gate ("Kindergarten Walk")or have a Red Cap pre-board you if needed?
Why? A consistent policy and little coordination between the lounge by the employee at the rope would take solve the problem.

Coming back after riding trains in 5 European countries, I'm reminded that kindergarten walks aren't necessary.

The mention of consistency reminds me of some info I'll need this Saturday. What's this week's policy re allowing for bring food into the ML?

One of our treats passing thru CHI is getting pizza from Beggar's across the street and bring it into the lounge for a fabulous lunch.

For a while, eating food in the ML wasn't permitted, then it was, and now we're not sure. Hopefully someone with recent experience can bring us current.

The mention of consistency reminds me of some info I'll need this Saturday. What's this week's policy re allowing for bring food into the ML?

One of our treats passing thru CHI is getting pizza from Beggar's across the street and bring it into the lounge for a fabulous lunch.

For a while, eating food in the ML wasn't permitted, then it was, and now we're not sure. Hopefully someone with recent experience can bring us current.
I have been the in the new Metropolitan Lounge a couple of times and outside food was not permitted.

I'm 100% against that policy. This is a first class lounge where people have extended layovers. It's perfectly reasonable to want to grab food in the station and bring it back to the lounge. I also used to see many families stay in the lounge while one family member went to get food. This would be a major inconvenience for them.

I'm 100% against that policy. This is a first class lounge where people have extended layovers. It's perfectly reasonable to want to grab food in the station and bring it back to the lounge. I also used to see many families stay in the lounge while one family member went to get food. This would be a major inconvenience for them.
Gotta agree - it's one thing if they have the same food for purchase in the lounge (like the policy of not bringing food into the cafe car on the train, that's fair)...if you have a layover and have paid for business/sleeper you should be able to bring food in!

That matches the policy in the rest of the system.
I still disagree with it. I used to avoid the lounge in DC because of the no food rule... I like to grab a snack before boarding the Capitol. But boarding at DC in the coach pen was a total cluster last time so I just slurp down my jamba juice before relaxing in the lounge now.

Is the outside food restriction because of the extra cleaning by Amtrak employees required? Or due to food vendor restrictions, such as Pepsi not wanting any Coke products in their exclusive supplied lounge?

I suspect it's a cleaning issue. Not everybody is going to clean up after themselves. That beggars has a perfectly decent dining area and I prefer to eat there. As far as the places in union station, seating outside the lounge is an issue. I used to get a brats at the hot dog place and eat it in the old lounge because there were no tables to sit at upstairs.

Why can't said family eat at the restaurant from which they're ordering? If a family has an extended layover then it seems reasonable they should be able to plan out a method for eating that doesn't require the use of the lounge during that time. If that means choosing a restaurant with available seating then so be it. Also, some people have no concept of what kinds of food are appropriate for consumption in a lounge and may bring very smelly foods with them and stink up the joint or leave a mess behind. In a restaurant a family can leave a mess and it will be cleaned up after them. In an Amtrak lounge whatever mess they leave might remain uncleaned until after closing.

That matches the policy in the rest of the system.
No, it doesn't. I entered the lounge at NY Penn, put my stuff down and told the "greeter" that I was going to go get something to eat. There was no problem brining it [a Subway sandwich] back.

That was Amtrak inconsistency in enforcement. The rule for Acela Lounges is no outside food. If you or someone figures out some way or is lucky enough to have managed to get something in that does not change the rule. Many people thrive on figuring out ways of working around rules. Even I do at times. :)

I have been able to take outside food into the Old Chicago Metro Lounge and in Portland many times but all the other Lounges were explicit about No Outside food brought into the Lounge!

(that doesn't included the unstaffed "Lounges" in St. Louis and New Orleans).

Guess the days of the AU gang bringing Girodanos Pizza into the Lounge in Chicago are History!

Amen to the inconsistency comment. Inconsistency at Amtrak seems to be consistently consistent.
Yeah, in general I have found that if you take in a Subway sandwich inconspicuously and eat it, usually nothing bad happens. OTOH, in Washington Club Acela, once I was dinged for bringing one in, which I had no intention of eating in the lounge at 4pm. It was for consumption later on the train. They just told me to pack it away in my baggage and be on my way when the train is called. So no big deal.

This sort of thing becomes even more important with the Star having no Diner and such, and they understand that. In my experience they apply the rule strictly for consumption in the lounge, and not for carrying consumable food in you baggage for later consumption. In general I abide by those rules with that understanding, and have had no problem.

Back