Checking luggage question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakwolverine

Engineer
since I have a coach ticket from CHI to TOL then sleeper from TOL to WAS Is there any issue with checking my bag to WAS since it's hit or miss if there will be a luggage rack in the transdorm? This is on the CL BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:
since I have a coach ticket from CHI to TOL then sleeper from TOL to WAS Is there any issue with checking my bag to WAS since it's hit or miss if there will be a luggage rack in the transdorm? This is on the CL BTW.
I am pretty certain there is a luggage rack in all the trans-sleepers.
Actually, if memory serves, the few cars that do not have an H-room do not have a luggage rack, or at least not the normal style rack. There was certainly room for bags though.

On the other hand, I have been boarded into the attached regular sleeper once with a room in the dorm and told that I must use the regular sleeper's already full luggage rack as I was not allowed to go downstairs in the dorm to use that rack. That was one of those "I'll make up my own rules" situation by the crew. Most do board dorm pax through the outside doors to the dorm and allow you to use the luggage rack in the dorm car.

But there is always the chance that one hits a crew like I did that one time who says NO.

I am pretty certain there is a luggage rack in all the trans-sleepers.
Actually, if memory serves, the few cars that do not have an H-room do not have a luggage rack, or at least not the normal style rack. There was certainly room for bags though.

On the other hand, I have been boarded into the attached regular sleeper once with a room in the dorm and told that I must use the regular sleeper's already full luggage rack as I was not allowed to go downstairs in the dorm to use that rack. That was one of those "I'll make up my own rules" situation by the crew. Most do board dorm pax through the outside doors to the dorm and allow you to use the luggage rack in the dorm car.

But there is always the chance that one hits a crew like I did that one time who says NO.
Not saying my memory is great, but the one trans-sleeper I actually rode in did have a rack downstairs and I am pretty sure it did not have the H-room.

Do the H-room cars have the shower upstairs?

Every transition sleeper I've seen has a luggage rack, but they are usually loaded with train supplies (towels, linens, water bottles, etc.).

We rode in a transdorm on the Sunset Limited and were able to store our large bags in the downstairs rack. If the SCA knows you're booked in a transdorm, they'll make space for luggage. Your SCA is usually the one who is also taking care of the adjacent sleeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back