Checked luggage from St Louis to Cleveland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The same-day connection from the Texas Eagle to the Capitol Limited is guaranteed, so yes. Of course, with the current track work, you take the chance that there may be a misconnect if the Eagle is unduly delayed. If so, your bags will arrive a day late.

The same-day connection from the Texas Eagle to the Capitol Limited is guaranteed, so yes. Of course, with the current track work, you take the chance that there may be a misconnect if the Eagle is unduly delayed. If so, your bags will arrive a day late.
You're right and wrong. The bags could miss the Capitol Limited if the Eagle is real late. However...the Lake Shore leaves 2 hours and 50 minutes after the later, so that would buy almost an extra three hours for the baggage to make a connection to CLE if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right and wrong. The bags could miss the Capitol Limited if the Eagle is real late. However...the Lake Shore leaves 2 hours and 50 minutes after the later, so that would buy almost an extra three hours for the baggage to make a connection to CLE if necessary.
Very true, didn't think of that possibility living out here in one-train-a-day territory...correction; make that three trains a week!

Thanks I was not sure that the agent in StL would put my bags on the TE when we were not on board. I know we have checked bags to California at CLE and our bags have gone on the CZ to Merced while we were traveling on the TE to California. Just wanted to clarify so we do not have to handle our heavier bags on the Lincoln Service train to CHI.

I see the TE new schedule has it arriving in StL an hour earlier and if, on time, would be only a few minutes behind our #302 Lincoln train. We shall see.

You don't have to ride on the same train as your bags, especially when there are multiple frequencies per day. In the Northeast between Boston and New York you can put your bags on the overnight train 66/67 regardless of when you're traveling during the day. IIRC, that's actually your only checked baggage option north of NYP.

If you check your bags STL to CLE, I would expect them to travel on the next available baggage car to CHI, then the same to CLE. Amtrak does not have to prove there is a passenger for each bag carried like the airlines, nor does Amtrak have the match software to make it possible.

I think I'm basically asking the same question. But I'm not sure.

I'm taking CZ from Grand Junction to CHI, then Cardinal from CHI to WAS. My layover in CHI is about 3 hours. Can I check my big bag in Grand Junction and pick it up in WAS, without having to do anything with it in CHI?

Is there a chance my bag won't make it on the same day? I hope not, I need it in WAS!

Assuming it's a valid connection, you can check baggage through to WAS. Unless the baggage handlers in CHI screw up, which is very unlikely, your bags will be on the same day's Cardinal as you.

Is it possible that the bag would just be put on 30 anyway since it has an earlier arrival time into Washington? That is kind of a unique situation in that 50 leaves Chicago earlier but arrives Washington later. Either way, the bag should arrive in Washington before or at the same time as the passenger, although if it is on 30 it would likely be off the carousel and in storage by the time 50 arrives.

Back