Cheaper Seats

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brazzman

Train Attendant
I plan on traveling from Dearborn, MI to Los Angeles in October and back. That would be the Wolverine to Chicago then the SWC to LA. The return is the same. The fair is $177.65 coach both ways. I've checked other dates in the summer and the fair is the same. Are there strategies to get a cheaper price?

I plan on traveling from Dearborn, MI to Los Angeles in October and back. That would be the Wolverine to Chicago then the SWC to LA. The return is the same. The fair is $177.65 coach both ways. I've checked other dates in the summer and the fair is the same. Are there strategies to get a cheaper price?
Personally speaking, that doesn't sound bad.

$177.65 is the 15% off Senior fare one way, or $355.30 round trip. So that's pretty much the lowest fare you're going to get.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't already made your reservation, as your travel date approaches daily the fare could increase as Amtrak reserves more and more seats.

I too am planning a long distance train trip this coming October to take advantage of the low season/ non-holiday season fares.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can also you Amsnag to check up to a month at time. It was designed by one of our fellow AUers
Amsnag doesn't work anymore. I think they took the site down.
Sure it works, just Goggle it up and check it out!
Just tried it, either it has a new web address, or it's not online anymore. Either way, I can't find it anymore. I had it book marked and have used it for a long time, until now.

You can also you Amsnag to check up to a month at time. It was designed by one of our fellow AUers
Amsnag doesn't work anymore. I think they took the site down.
Sure it works, just Goggle it up and check it out!
Just tried it, either it has a new web address, or it's not online anymore. Either way, I can't find it anymore. I had it book marked and have used it for a long time, until now.
That's why it was suggested you Google it...so you'd find the new address (which I just posted)

The address hasn't changed. Out of the kindness of his heart, an AU'er procured the more user friendly domain name, amsnag.net, and had it redirected to the actual address. That is what seems to have disappeared.

I used Amsnag a couple weeks ago and it helped me cut $200 off my roomette by changing the day I started my trip by a couple days. If it wasn't for Amsnag I wouldn't have known to ask for a different day at the better rate. There may be another way to find the lowest rated available but I don't know it.

And I almost always just google it, since the change in address, and it always takes me to the correct, new, website address.

The address hasn't changed. Out of the kindness of his heart, an AU'er procured the more user friendly domain name, amsnag.net, and had it redirected to the actual address. That is what seems to have disappeared.
That was me, and I hadn't noticed that it had stopped working. I'll look into it and get it pointed right again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back