Changing from lower to upper level roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspiration100

Lead Service Attendant
I called amtrak and the agent said I can't change from a lower to upper roomette without going up to the next bucket price. He implied certain rooms are at lower buckets and certain rooms are at higher buckets. I don't remember this being the case. Is this the new rule? Can't you change roomette numbers without incurring a fee if it's available?

I have not been lucky to have an upper roomette for many years. I think they sell the upper rooms first, which would make sense to me, as I tend to book at the last minute.

If I were you, I would call back again and speak to a different agent... If upper rooms are available, they should be able to exchange your lower for an upper without any price hike.

Ed.

The key word is modify..... it can be done, it has come up many times here.... there are technical issues in the way "Arrow" is built that make the process less simple for an agent than it should be, those should not be your problem, ask for a supervisor if you can not get an agent that understands the process....

Honestly, when I call and ask agents to "modify" that has never worked for me. Roomette and bedroom specific assignment is why I ALWAYS CALL AGR to make ALL my sleeper reservations. Amtrak.com is great for booking coach fares but you have no opportunity to request a specific room or leveL(upper or lower) unless you CALL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done this many times. Usually a regular agent handles it just fine though it takes them a while. Occasionally I've had to ask for a supervisor.

An even better way, if you happen to live near a ticket office, is to just go down there and talk with the agent. I've never had problems that way, even when trying to do something much more complicated than change roomettes. In fact, often the agent gets me a lower total fare! Just be sure to check that a train isn't due into the station just as you get there, or you may have a long wait before an agent can help you.

Good luck!

Last week booked an AGR trip and a paid trip for two roomettes. Neither had the rooms across the hall. I called AGR and they gladly changed that reservation. I then mentioned the paid one and she gladly changed that one too. Took longer with the paid one, but she did it with no changes in cost.

I have done this many times over the years.

Back