Changing diapers in the SSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

texline

Service Attendant
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1501707248.488088.jpg

Little babies are great however I disagree with using the SSL tables as a changing station. Sorry just me.

I have seen moms and dads changing diapers in the booth seat, but never on the table. Just one more reason to carry sanitary cleaning wipes or whatever. If the bathroom on the lower level of the SSL were open with a changing table, they would be more likely to go there hopefully.

If you are going to travel with a child who will need multiple diaper changes, you need to adopt a strategy for doing so away from other passengers. Or don't travel with a toddler.

In addition to the issue of changing in public (which I agree is an issue), it is also unsanitary to change a baby on a table that is used for food. Much like dogs on trains, I have no problem with infants provided that they are managed by their caretakers in such a way that does not cause sanitary issues.

In addition to the issue of changing in public (which I agree is an issue), it is also unsanitary to change a baby on a table that is used for food. Much like dogs on trains, I have no problem with infants provided that they are managed by their caretakers in such a way that does not cause sanitary issues.
I once guilted a lady who changed her baby's diaper on a table in my Cafe at...Back Bay. Literally 5 minutes in to the trip, and I told her how technically the car should be shut down for food service and what not. I understand that we don't have a changing table on the Amfleet 1's, but if you're going from BOS to NHV, why do you wait to get on the train and change your kid's diaper on a table? Why not do it in the bathroom at the station, since I'm assuming they would have a changing table in them?

What on Earth possess people to do things like that, I will never know....

Another small one is walking up to the counter and to grab a bunch of napkins and blow your nose right in front a few people crowded around the counter trying to buy food, or the many others in the car trying to enjoy their food. They don't consider heading in to the bathroom instead. The thing that REALLY hits a nerve is when people walk up to the counter, grab a napkin or two, blow their nose, and get in line to buy something, and hand me their cash/credit card after they just blew snot everywhere. Yum!

I once guilted a lady who changed her baby's diaper on a table in my Cafe at...Back Bay. Literally 5 minutes in to the trip, and I told her how technically the car should be shut down for food service and what not. I understand that we don't have a changing table on the Amfleet 1's, but if you're going from BOS to NHV, why do you wait to get on the train and change your kid's diaper on a table? Why not do it in the bathroom at the station, since I'm assuming they would have a changing table in them?

Hmm, maybe the baby dirtied it's diaper just before or after boarding. You don't want to leave a dirty diaper on the baby for very long. That's unhealthy for the baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
!quote]

Hmm, maybe the baby dirtied it's diaper just before or after boarding. You don't want to leave a dirty diaper on the baby for very long. That's unhealthy for the baby.
Seriously??? Is that to say there is no other place to change the baby than on a table? SMHID

I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that changing on the table is ok.

We were blessed with three children and five grandchildren that we have off and on cared for while in public. We would never consider changing the child in public view. If traveling, we would use the changing tables in the restrooms (originally only women restrooms had changing tables which was inconvenient) once wiped down. If nothing was available in the bathroom, then we used the car. If traveling by air or by plane we used the changing tables available. We would never consider changing a diaper where food was being served, like the DC or SSL. It appears that many in the new generation have no common sense, or regard to for others.

!quote]

Seriously??? Is that to say there is no other place to change the baby than on a table? SMHID

I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that changing on the table is ok.
Seriously??? You read my post as condoning changing a diaper on a table?
I was replying to his remark about why didn't the diaper get changed in the station's bathroom. *SMH*

Since I don't really know how those creatures work, I didn't really give that a thought. :p

That's definitely possible though!

And they went directly to the SSL from their seats immediately after boarding to change them? When there are changing tables in the restrooms on Superliners? Taking the two minutes to take the baby to a coach restroom with a changing table endangers the baby's health to the degree it justifies contaminating a common table that you can reasonably expect people to eat off of with fecal material?

You have seriously got to be kidding. I am a father and have changed my share of diapers back in the day, and there is really no justification here, given alternatives are easily available.

And they went directly to the SSL from their seats immediately after boarding to change them? When there are changing tables in the restrooms on Superliners? Taking the two minutes to take the baby to a coach restroom with a changing table endangers the baby's health to the degree it justifies contaminating a common table that you can reasonably expect people to eat off of with fecal material?
You have seriously got to be kidding. I am a father and have changed my share of diapers back in the day, and there is really no justification here, given alternatives are easily available.
As I stated before, I was ONLY responding to the "why didn't she change the diaper before boarding". I was not condoning where she changed the diaper on the train.
I don't recall ever seeing a changing table on a train. But then, I'm not looking for them.

Just to avoid the confusion, my scenario was involving a single level Cafe car, where there are no changing tables.

And yes, I made sure that I knew where she was traveling to, so the second to vacated the table I stopped serving who I had at my counter and used my sanitizer spray (for those not in food service, it's a very diluted bleach/water solution) and wiped the table down.

As I stated before, I was ONLY responding to the "why didn't she change the diaper before boarding". I was not condoning where she changed the diaper on the train.
I don't recall ever seeing a changing table on a train. But then, I'm not looking for them.
I was really responding more to AmtrakBlue's comment about "unhealthy for the baby" than to you. You were just recounting your own experience.

There wasn't a bathroom in the adjoining car? True, the single level cafe doesn't have a bathroom, but the SSL bathroom is kept closed. There is almost always a car with a bathroom next to the SSL or the Cafe/

There wasn't a bathroom in the adjoining car? True, the single level cafe doesn't have a bathroom, but the SSL bathroom is kept closed. There is almost always a car with a bathroom next to the SSL or the Cafe/
I can't speak to the ones on the long hauls, but the Amfleet 1s (the Cafes used on the Regionals) we do have an ADA bathroom in the car.

I can't speak to the ones on the long hauls, but the Amfleet 1s (the Cafes used on the Regionals) we do have an ADA bathroom in the car.
While there are restrooms in Superliner Sightseer Lounges, most of the time they are locked off (I assume by attendant). I can only remember one trip where the restroom was open. I was very surprised it was, my experience is they are locked.

The coaches adjacent to the SSL would have had restrooms with a changing tables in any case.

While there are restrooms in Superliner Sightseer Lounges, most of the time they are locked off (I assume by attendant). I can only remember one trip where the restroom was open. I was very surprised it was, my experience is they are locked.

The coaches adjacent to the SSL would have had restrooms with a changing tables in any case.
Exactly. Instead of using a dining table as a fecal depository, just take the kid one car away and use the changing table! Or don't travel with a toddler.

To be fair, one can't see if the baby being changed is on a changing mat, etc?

I have been in conversation with "Amish" type folk on trains, and my understanding is they have their own printing business, and they don't read "non Amish produced" material. This could explain why these folk would see this as "nothing out of the ordinary", and others would worry about germs, etc?

Given the state adults leave the restrooms in, I don't think I would want to expose a baby to that...

Ed.

To be fair, one can't see if the baby being changed is on a changing mat, etc?

I have been in conversation with "Amish" type folk on trains, and my understanding is they have their own printing business, and they don't read "non Amish produced" material. This could explain why these folk would see this as "nothing out of the ordinary", and others would worry about germs, etc?

Given the state adults leave the restrooms in, I don't think I would want to expose a baby to that...

Ed.
Seriously? You're suggesting passengers are routinely bringing a "changing mat" with them on the train? I've ridden about 135,000 miles since 1976 and don't believe I've ever seen such a thing. Of course I wasn't looking for one. I have seen diaper changing in view of other passengers in coaches, lounges, and have read about dining cars. Seems to me that if one is going to change soiled diapers that they be changed in a private space such as a restroom or sleeping compartment. Now those would be the places to use a "changing mat" if one was to bring one on a train.

With the Grandkids we used sanitary wipes to clean the changing table before the baby was placed on it. Now I am an infrequent diaper changer, so managing the baby, the baby's bag, and cleaning the table before using it was a real challenge. I would have preferred to use something better, but also we didn't change in public. Today, parents have a totally different look at the world. To many feel inconvenienced to use common sense about interfacing with the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back