Changes Observed At LAUS Metro Lounge And Surfliners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seat38a

Engineer
Just got back from birthday weekend out in LA. Took the Surfliner to and from to avoid traffic. Metropolitan lounge at LAUS has finally gotten their ice machine which couple of years ago, the lounge staff told me was their number 1 requested item by both passengers and staff.

The giant cookies and potato chips are still there for snacks. The lounge was very full with SWC passengers when I visited. On the Surfliner, the snack pack contents have been updated again. The olives have been replaced with turkey jerky, the hummus with asiago cheese spread/dip. Also, now the windows have a decal on them "One Ticket, One Seat."

I also talked to one of the old time conductors on my train up to LA. She told me, there were no plans to deploy the Chargers yet. Supposedly, the engines still needed something done to them for Surfliner use. Didn't get into too much detail. Also, she told me that the plan is for the new single level equipment to be used up north for the Capitol Corridor and the Surfliner's currently deployed up north to be reassigned to LOSSAN. Just relaying what I was told during our conversation so can't confirm or deny the story.

Happy to see the One Seat signs. I am tired of passengers who put their stuff on the adjacent seat and then pretend to be asleep.

Maybe the Chargers need the ATS shoes for the old AT&SF ATS system still in service and enabling 90 mph running in southern Orange County and parts of San Diego County.
Is the AT&SF ATS considered PTC compliant in regards to the congressional mandate to add PTC?
No.

In another thread related to SWC it has been explained at length why ATS is not PTC compliant in response to such a claim made by none other than the occasional purveyor of nonsense ... Railway Age [emoji57]
This makes sense. The conductor did say, PTC was priority 1 right now to which I scratched my head. I thought PTC was already completed for the LOSSAN corridor but it looks like its still in the works and expected to be up by the end of this year.

Happy to see the One Seat signs. I am tired of passengers who put their stuff on the adjacent seat and then pretend to be asleep.
I have a feeling the stickers won't magically make those people change their behavior.
Maybe not, but it does give the staff more leverage if the person doesn't comply. If someone is knowingly breaking a clearly posted rule or guideline, staff have that much more justification to deal with that person appropriately.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a feeling the stickers won't magically make those people change their behavior.
Maybe not, but it does give the staff more leverage if the person doesn't comply. If someone is knowingly breaking a clearly posted rule or guideline, staff have that much more justification to deal with that person appropriately.
Agreed...there always seems to be some wise guy, that when told of a rule, they argue: "Where does it say that?"....

Back