Central Asia and China by train, bus or taxi - any experience out there?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
Starting to think and plan the next long journey, admittedly due to the UK folly called Brexit it will have to wait until early next year at best. But it does look like a lot of planning will be a big help.
From initial research it looks complicated with much arranged on the hoof, but questions are starting to bubble up and hope there are some here who may be able to give a few pointers.
Possibly the biggest challenge is the region is changing at a lightening pace, it appears as one of the most dramatic changes is due to the new rail track and road from China through to Europe, 'The Belt and Road'.
Still, what is life without a small challenge from time to time.

Thank you

Starting to think and plan the next long journey, admittedly due to the UK folly called Brexit it will have to wait until early next year at best. But it does look like a lot of planning will be a big help.
From initial research it looks complicated with much arranged on the hoof, but questions are starting to bubble up and hope there are some here who may be able to give a few pointers.
Possibly the biggest challenge is the region is changing at a lightening pace, it appears as one of the most dramatic changes is due to the new rail track and road from China through to Europe, 'The Belt and Road'.
Still, what is life without a small challenge from time to time.

Thank you

I rode the train about 10 years ago from Beijing to Xian and found it very enjoyable. Another man occupying my 4-bed compartment helped me order a tasty dinner from the trolley vendor. I gave my taxi business at the Xian train station to the only taxi driver who did NOT give me the bum's rush for my fare -- and I told him so.

I chose to visit the terra cotta warriors museum as part of a small group of international tourists. The tour guide spoke 3 languages fluently. This museum should be on everyone's bucket list.

I rode the train about 10 years ago from Beijing to Xian and found it very enjoyable. Another man occupying my 4-bed compartment helped me order a tasty dinner from the trolley vendor. I gave my taxi business at the Xian train station to the only taxi driver who did NOT give me the bum's rush for my fare -- and I told him so.

I chose to visit the terra cotta warriors museum as part of a small group of international tourists. The tour guide spoke 3 languages fluently. This museum should be on everyone's bucket list.

Thanks chakk, you've already answered one of the questions as to if we should visit the terracotta warriors if our journey takes us to Xian.

Another is did the different culture overwhelm you, or was it exciting/different?

Thanks for that

I had a very brief experience, riding a train in China, so not really relevant, except that I found it very easy to use...
In my case, it was a very quick ride on the world’s fastest (431 kph) Maglev between Shanghai and its airport...[emoji41]IMG_5971.JPGIMG_5976.JPGIMG_5984.JPGIMG_5980.JPGIMG_5981.JPG

Thanks railiner

Was the train so fast that it was hard to look at and focus on things outside the window? Never been on a train quite at that speed, will have to try it somewhere within China.

With a little more research it does appear as though western China is very interesting, really diverse and scenery and people haven't seen anywhere else.

There's quite a lot of rail and other transport information on the web, but the interesting info doesn't always crop up where you expect it to, it feels a bit like treasure hunting. China appear to be betting the house on rail for their future transport systems, they are building new lines everywhere, almost as if there is a gap then it better have a new rail line.

No date yet for this new journey, we may take up to a year before we set out. I will start a pre-journey thread with the rough outline or what we hope to do after completing the report on the last journey.

Back