CBS This Morning Amtrak Feature (10/23)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reefgeek

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Nice piece right now (Thurs 8:45AM) on CBS This Morning about the writer in residence program, featuring a writer called Bill Willingham, lots of onboard footage. A love letter to Amtrak and train travel!

Great PR! Amtrak needs more positive stories like this!Nice find!

The two time times they showed the "roomettes" looked more like a Bedroom and of course the anchor must never have heard "The City of New Orleans" ( which the reporter was on) since he didn't prounounce Kankakee correctly!

"Train time is found time." I love that.

For me it's that rarest of times, in-the-NOW time. Most everything else seems to go away.

Here's a link to the Amtrak blog which talks a little bit about it: http://blog.amtrak.com/2014/10/amtrak-resident-bill-willingham/

Trying to see if I can locate video of the CBS This Morning piece....

Edit: Found it! http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/amtrak-launches-writers-residency-program/
Thanks very much for posting the video link for this story. Every rail fan needs to take a look at this video. Great line in this video where they say that train time is "found time". I will be going on a cross country trip of my own in just a few days and this video just heightened my excitement level. Departing NYP Sunday 6:55 A.M. on 51/Cardinal to CHi arriving 10:05 A.M. Monday. Then 5 hour layover waiting for 3/SWC departing 3:00 P.M. and arriving FLG Tuesday night at 8:51 P.M. Continue with Amtrak Thruway connection to Phoenix and courtesy transportation to hotel in Scottsdale. 5 days in Arizona scouting up and coming baseball stars in Arizona Fall League in and around Scottsdale area then return on Southern route via 2/SL departing TUC at 9:15 A.M.Monday 11/3 and arriving NOL Tuesday night at 9:40 P.M. Short overnight stay on my dime in NOL and depart Wednesday 11/5 at 7:00 A.M. on 20/Crescent back to NYP. Have sleeping accommodations booked for all four rail segments with four different types of rooms. Viewliner bedroom on Cardinal;upper level roomette on SWC; lower level roomette on SL and Viewliner roomette on Crescent.The lower level roomette on SL was only roomette still available at time of booking;upper level roomettes were sold out. Not as good a view from the lower level roomette but at least I don't have to far to go to use toilet/shower facilities. Should be very interesting rail trip. Will give a report on the experience when I return in early November.

Great PR! Amtrak needs more positive stories like this!Nice find!

The two time times they showed the "roomettes" looked more like a Bedroom and of course the anchor must never have heard "The City of New Orleans" ( which the reporter was on) since he didn't prounounce Kankakee correctly!
I think the first shot was of a bedroom but to me it looked as though the later shots of the writer typing on his laptop looked like a roomette (at

the two minute mark, for instance).

As far as pronouncing Kankakee...I've never been on the CONO but I know how to pronounce it, too. (You can partially thank Steve Goodman

for that). In this case, the CBS producer bears part of the blame because he or she should have made sure the anchor knew how to pronounce

the city where the live shot was originating.

My problem with the piece is not the equipment terms or the pronunciation, but that it reinforces the idea that rail travel is a romantic throwback

to a simpler time. It CAN be. But it's also viable, valuable transportation for people both in corridors and in far-flung sections of the American

interior. Even the Amtrak flack in this piece says that taking a long-distance train is an experience "everyone should try at least once in their

lifetime."

I agree with that comment on the face of it, but it also provides fodder for Congress-types who view long-distance trains as land-cruises, rather

than actual transportation. Sure, everyone should try it at least once. But why should taxpayers subsidize a bucket-list vacation? (the thinking

goes).

All in all, though...it was a nice piece with some nice video. And really cool to do a live shot from a Sightseer Lounge car.

Can't get past the Honda commercials...then, it jumps to Ben Bradlee!
Zero commercials when you use adblocker.

Thanks reefgeek for posting this piece! I would have never seen it as I can not stomach the CBS Morning show due exclusively to the insufferable smarmy Gayle King. Thanks again, it was a good report for Amtrak!

Too bad Charles Kuralt is gone from CBS News....remember that he did an "On The Road" piece about the last run of the Wabash Cannonball back in 1971 for the CBS Evening News With Walter Cronkite.

Last edited by a moderator:
(BTW: Hope that WC story is online somewhere...via Youtube, CBS News' own archives, or....)

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you never heard of the CONO :eek: (either the train or song), you can pronounce Kankakee. it's even spelled phonetically! :wacko:
No kidding! How long has Charlie Rose been on the planet and he didn't know that? :) I can forgive him, but I just can't get past Gayle King. *colossal -eye-roll*

Nice piece right now (Thurs 8:45AM) on CBS This Morning about the writer in residence program, featuring a writer called Bill Willingham, lots of onboard footage. A love letter to Amtrak and train travel!
My mom mentioned this segment to me the other day. Finally got a chance to see it, it was a really good piece! The live shot from the lounge car was fabulous...thank heavens the train was moving and not stuck at a siding! It's worth watching this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back