Carolinian's Dinette & Piedmont's Lounge: What to Expect?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant
In May I'm off again on a North American train trip. The Dinette on the Carolinian, is that similar to the Café Car (Sightseer Lounge downstairs) on the long-distance trains? And the Piedmont has nothing but machines to buy food and beverages? What can I expect in terms of quality? Are those sandwiches freshly made? Is it better to buy food and beverages in advance in Charlotte and Raleigh, e.g. at a Subway Restaurant?

[My question in the title was "What to Expect?" Somehow it was cut off though the correct title was visible when I wrote the title.]

Last edited by a moderator:
There is only vending on the Piedmonts. Quality is what you'd expect. Freshly made, well, nothing will be out-of-date but I wouldn't count on getting an item made the same day.

When Southern built its new Charlotte station in 1964, they placed it in an industrial area. Nearest restaurant is a Bojangles half a mile north. Might or might not be what you're looking for. Otherwise, grab takeout from somewhere in the city center before going to the station.

The current Raleigh station has nothing, either. However, to copy from another source: "exit the train and walk to Cabarrus Street. Cross over the tracks and immediately to your left is Jose & Sons Mexican (11:30-2:30 and 5-10), and across that parking lot is The Pit Barbecue (11am-10pm). Same block is Tasty Beverage (11-9) and Crank Arm Brewery (4-midnight). If you stay on Cabarrus, Fiction Kitchen (opens at 4:30) is a highly-rated vegetarian/vegan spot." Note that these directions are from the existing station. The new Raleigh station nearby should be open by the time you get here, although it's unclear that a food service in the station will be open that soon.

The new Raleigh station nearby should be open by the time you get here, although it's unclear that a food service in the station will be open that soon.
Are there any updates on the station? I had heard January 31 that obviously didn't happen and I found a post on here that stated it would open in April. If that is the case, is it known what part of April?

The Carolinian has snacks and pre-packaged pizza, sandwiches and other things. The quality is good. The food can be heated up, if you wish.

The Piedmont has snacks and drinks in vending machines.

jb

The new Raleigh station nearby should be open by the time you get here, although it's unclear that a food service in the station will be open that soon.
Are there any updates on the station? I had heard January 31 that obviously didn't happen and I found a post on here that stated it would open in April. If that is the case, is it known what part of April?
They are trying to get tenants into the new station soon. Operations will move from the current station to the new one in April. The Piedmont schedules will be adjusted at that time, with an additional round-trip. Haven't seen an exact date yet.

jb

I've heard that the building could get a certificate of occupancy this month. The delay is track work.

I am waiting for both the new Raleigh Station to open and the new segment of the Charlotte LRT to start running. At that point I will make a trip down that way by the Star/Piedmont (changing at Raleigh instead of Cary) one weekend, to experience both.

The Carolinian has snacks and pre-packaged pizza, sandwiches and other things. The quality is good. The food can be heated up, if you wish.

jb
Is the Carolinian cafe car food different (better) than other eastern trains? Thought it was standard regional Amfleet train fare. The Palmetto food is certainly forgettable.

jb
Is the Carolinian cafe car food different (better) than other eastern trains? Thought it was standard regional Amfleet train fare. The Palmetto food is certainly forgettable.
I would think that they are all provisioned in Sunnyside and therefore would be all the same.

Fine dining it's not. It's better than eating nothing or just snacks. If you want "good" food (whatever that is) you'll probably need to bring your own.

jb

Of note the Piedmont is the only train that has free bottles of water for coach passengers in the system. This was done because when doing the conversions on the EX UP, KCS cars it was cheaper to do bottled water then install potable water tanks.

jb
The Vermonter, Palmetto, Carolinian, Lake Shore Limited, Silver Star (with additional selections), Acela, and Regionals all serve the same fresh sandwiches and other foods in their cafes. The Maple Leaf, Adirondack, and Empire Service I'm not sure about, since NY state is pushing local items, and the caterer for the sandwiches is in Jersey.
Anyway, the food is definitely better than the national menu items in the cafes. The majority of the items have a shelf life of only 3 days.

I would gladly trade the menu from the NEC to the Cascades.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Really? Cascades has a good menu with some items being closer to dining car quality. Not sure if they still do it, but I was pleasantly surprised when I ordered oatmeal and was served dining car style oatmeal vs. the standard cafe Quaker cups.

What I love about the Cascades menu is the fact most of it is sourced locally. I find that to be a really redeeming feature of the Cascades and Alaska Airlines Group that both support local PNW products.

But then I am someone who avoids chains at all possible with the exception of local chains.

Really? Cascades has a good menu with some items being closer to dining car quality. Not sure if they still do it, but I was pleasantly surprised when I ordered oatmeal and was served dining car style oatmeal vs. the standard cafe Quaker cups.
Not knocking my menu, but I'd disagree. Yes, the oatmeal is good, but the chowder is just okay, and passengers have complained that it's been the same thing for many years. The sandwiches are alright, but I really liked the variety better on the Regionals.
We haven't had parfaits in weeks due to manufacturing issues. Want the Oikos Greek yogurt offered everywhere else in the system? Sorry, I can't get it for my car. Some fruit trays with grapes, pineapple, melon, and cantaloupe? Sorry, whole fruit only (which I think is great to offer. It's very reasonably priced.)

On the corridor all of the fresh sandwiches, salad, fruit, parfait, and pepperoni cheese tray, are made in New Jersey. A few beers are from various places on the corridor as well.

What I love it here is that they actually give us what we need to take great care of our customers. We carry soy sauce and Grey Poupon packets, which I don't believe is available anywhere else on Amtrak. We have Tabasco and Worcestershire for bloody marys, to doctor up the bloody mary mix, which we could only dream of on the corridor.

So when I say I want to trade menus, I guess I really mean I want to take the best of both.

Hopefully Mr Anderson and his New Team of Customer Serice First folks are aware of the differences of the Menus on the various Routes that Amtrak has ordering power for and will listen to the LSAs ideas such as yours Triley!

It's a first rate idea! ( and the Surfliners and Downeaster have better stuff in their Cafes too! Perhaps that can be spread to all Regional Trains???

So when I say I want to trade menus, I guess I really mean I want to take the best of both.

The Cascades have much much much better beer selections.
And more importantly, liquor! Actually went to a store and bought one of the selections we have, because it's so good and I can't get it in Canada. One of the local items, in fact
Brown sugar bourbon. Mmm....

There is only vending on the Piedmonts. Quality is what you'd expect. Freshly made, well, nothing will be out-of-date but I wouldn't count on getting an item made the same day.

When Southern built its new Charlotte station in 1964, they placed it in an industrial area. Nearest restaurant is a Bojangles half a mile north. Might or might not be what you're looking for. Otherwise, grab takeout from somewhere in the city center before going to the station.

The current Raleigh station has nothing, either. However, to copy from another source: "exit the train and walk to Cabarrus Street. Cross over the tracks and immediately to your left is Jose & Sons Mexican (11:30-2:30 and 5-10), and across that parking lot is The Pit Barbecue (11am-10pm). Same block is Tasty Beverage (11-9) and Crank Arm Brewery (4-midnight). If you stay on Cabarrus, Fiction Kitchen (opens at 4:30) is a highly-rated vegetarian/vegan spot." Note that these directions are from the existing station. The new Raleigh station nearby should be open by the time you get here, although it's unclear that a food service in the station will be open that soon.
Thank you very much, very useful information. Since you are in NC, do you know what the best way is to go from the Amtrak Station in Charlotte to East Trade Street where my hotel is (Hyatt House). I read somewhere about a bus #11.

Yes, it's the CATS # 11 - North Tryon bus. Go to CATS, click on Routes and Schedules and then select this bus from the drop-down menu, along with the day of the week. Notice that some of the buses actually pull right up to the station door. If you can't get one which pulls right up to the station, the rest of them run straight up and down Tryon Street. Walk out of the station driveway and cross the street. BE CAREFUL doing this. It's two lanes of traffic in each direction with no traffic light.

You should be able to board the bus by using a Last Mile transfer. You must ask the conductor for one of these when you board the train. I must confess that I attempted to use the transfer once when the system was new and it didn't work. I had to pay the bus fare - but it was nominal. Many times the bus is quite full, so don't expect to get a seat. The trip is only a couple of miles but don't attempt to walk it if you don't want to take the bus. The areas that you must pass through are pretty unsavory.

jb

In another 7 years maybe there will be a center-city Charlotte station again. Or 12 years. Or 20. Until then, enjoy the sixties-concrete ambience of the Southern station.

Back