Car Rental at Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeM

OBS Chief
Fast question - will be traveling on the Texas Eagle to Chicago in April, and would like to rent a car for local transport. I know Hertz had a booth set up roughly outside of the old first class lounge, but with all the changes has that moved to another location now? Also, are there other car rental agencies there - I saw something about Avis when I did a google, but not sure if that's in the station or somewhere in the neighborhood. Help appreciated! Thx!

Last time I rented from Hertz at CUS, which was a couple of years ago, the Hertz counter had moved to near where the old Amtrak store was. Kind of hard to explain. It was in the hall leading to the south tracks, a little past the intersection with the passage from the Great Hall.

As of Jan 2018 the car rental places are across from Baggage Claim now. There are two or three but I can't remember off hand which ones.

looks like it is Hertz, Avis and Budget in the station. Not sure on hours or days they are open. Their is also an enterprise at Madison and Wells a couple blocks away.

Good to hear there are options beyond just Hertz. I'm looking forward to looking over the new lounge and improvements while I go through the station. I'm on a sleeper so that should allow me to park my bags in the lounge for a little bit. Thanks for all your help!

I rented from AVIS this summer, arriving on the TE. Just make a left after entering the station, continue back and the booths are along the wall ( the ML is actually on the other side), The walk to the cars is LONG and on an upgrade. Turn in has NO express service, so you must walk back into the the station with your keys, mileage, etc.

I am looking for additional car rental counter location info. This is not labeled on the Union Station map (like airports), and the rental car company was not much help when I called. I have been to this station many times and have never seen the car rental counters.

From the info I have found, it sounds like it might be near baggage claim and then the cars are across the street? Through the pedway tunnel, maybe? Can anyone confirm where the counters are located? I am wondering if the rental counters are on the same side as the arrivals and baggage claim, or across Canal Street by the Metropolitan Lounge? The screenshot below is a map of the baggage claim and south concourse where I will be arriving. I appreciate any info anyone can provide. Thank you!

Union.png

After I blew up that screenshot and uploaded it, I see what looks like a car rental icon now--next to the Metropolitan Lounge with a bus symbol, it looks like. It sure would be nice, if it had an information bubble on it like some of the others. I guess there is a map here for future visitors now. :D

I don't know about renting a car at CUS. I did it 2 years ago, and the car was fine, but the traffic in Chicago has to be seen to be believed. I was headed northwest just beyond Rockford, and all the freeways heading out of town were bumper to bumper stop and go to the tri state tollway, just before O'hare. It was even worse coming back into the city, on a Sunday, no less!

If I ever have to do it again, I'd consider taking the Blue Line to O'Hare and rent the car rhere. Or maybe if there's a rental office walkable from a Metra station on the way (Schaumberg or Elgin), ride out there direct from Union Station, and rent the car there. The only problem is that those local rental offices close early and are totally closed on Sunday.

Yes, I do detest Chicago traffic. I had planned on an hour to get to my destination near Naperville (about 30 miles SW). I had not thought of taking public transportation for that leg, too. Thank you for the idea.

When I was last in Chicago about 2 months ago, the rental car counters were located where 'Canal St' is, on the opposite side of the walkway from Baggage Claim.

You should be able to find car rental near some of the Metra stations. This may be better for you if your final destination isn't downtown Chicago. I know, for example, that there is an Enterprise office just 2 blocks from the Dee Rd. Metra stop in Park Ridge (NW suburb). Probably cheaper than paying all the extra fees at O'Hara, but not sure how it would compare with the downtown Chicago options.

You could take Metra to Naperville and then catch a Lyft/Uber.

To answer your original question, though, the car rental counters are across from Baggage Claim.

You will be under Canal Street at that point, so the map is a bit confusing. If you picture Canal Street as the hallway between Baggage Claim and the rental counters, it will be easier.

If you are arriving on the South Concourse, you'll walk left from your gate and go straight ahead. You can either use the ramp or stairs, and you should see the rental counters straight ahead of you as soon as you reach the top.

If you are arriving on the North Concourse, you'll walk right from your gate and follow the curve around. You'll go past the automatic doors to the Great Hall, and then you'll see the rental counters on your right.

Back