Car 3009 on Capitol Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP1822

Service Attendant
Supposedly, according to nice Amtrak agent via phone, car 3000 and 3001 are completely sold out on an upcoming day of travel I have in May. Only sleepers available is a roomette in car 3009. I first thought that this may be the Superliner Crew Car, but then I’d have a high roomette #, not a low one as booked. Could this be just an extra sleeper added on day of travel, OR perhaps a regular Superliner sleeper subbing as the crew car? I am thinking the later.....But Any info appreciated!

Thank you! I think it is a regular Superliner Sleeper subbing for the crew car. No one rides long distance trains though - both 3000 and 3001 are booked on day I am traveling - weekday nonetheless too! And I would have paid for a bedroom if this is subbing for the crew car!

Well, last year I can remember rooms 16 and higher being sold in the Superliner Trans/Dorm Sleeper, but now they are even selling at least rooms 1 through 4 in the Superliner Trans Dorm/Sleeper in the Capitol Limited. More sleeper space being opened up for inventory that way. Glad Amtrak is doing that for that car. I still find a descent amount of sleeper car passengers changing trains in Pittsburgh.

The Capitol Limited will always be stymied by not splitting to head to two terminuses like the Lake SHore Limited. Capitol needs to split at Pittsburgh with half the train going to Philly/New York City and the other half to Pittsburgh.

Amtrak only needs 4 crew rooms at the most for that train now. 1 or 2 coach attendants depending on how many coaches there are. 1 room each for the sleeper lounge and lounge car attendants. They no longer need rooms for a cook or waiters.

Back