Capitol Limited roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil_M

Conductor
Booked to travel from Chicago to Washington in 2 weeks time and am reserved in car 3009, room 20. I might be missing something but I didn't think there were 20 roomettes in a Superliner? :blink:

As an add on to this, I have from 130 pm to 405 pm in Washington, assuming some reasonable degree of timekeeping, is there anything worth seeing close to the station or is there somewhere decent for a late lunch nearby?

Booked to travel from Chicago to Washington in 2 weeks time and am reserved in car 3009, room 20. I might be missing something but I didn't think there were 20 roomettes in a Superliner? :blink:
As an add on to this, I have from 130 pm to 405 pm in Washington, assuming some reasonable degree of timekeeping, is there anything worth seeing close to the station or is there somewhere decent for a late lunch nearby?

I have an 8 hr. layover going the opposite way. Take a look at their station. Over 100 stores and restaurants and a 9 screen theatre!!! I'm thinking of doing the Segway Tour, but you won't have the time. :)

You're in the trans/dorm, that's why its number room 20 to avoid confusion with the roomettes in the regular sleeping cars. This is the first time that I've heard of them selling rooms in the trans/dorm on the Capitol Limited.

There is a food court in Washington Union Station (WUS), as well as a few resturants in the station. And don't forget that WUS has the Club Acela Lounge, which you should be in by no later than 3:30 so as to get early boarding and not have to stand in the main line in the regular waiting area.

The Thunder Grille serves buffalo burgers, one of the rare places outside my own personal grill that I've ever seen them. (I have this odd like of hamburgers made with anything BUT adult beef- veal, pork, lamb, buffalo, venison, and combinations thereof.)

Alan: I figured they always did, or I would have mentioned PAX in the trans-dorm when I was exploring the train.

You're in the trans/dorm, that's why its number room 20 to avoid confusion with the roomettes in the regular sleeping cars. This is the first time that I've heard of them selling rooms in the trans/dorm on the Capitol Limited.
There is a food court in Washington Union Station (WUS), as well as a few resturants in the station. And don't forget that WUS has the Club Acela Lounge, which you should be in by no later than 3:30 so as to get early boarding and not have to stand in the main line in the regular waiting area.
The trans/dorm is the one next to the baggage van, right?

Does it have shower and restrooms (awful word, just say 'toilet' !!!) like the 'normal' sleepers?

As for the lounge access, I assume because I arrive in a sleeper I can still use it, even though my onward journey to Newark is in steerage? Can you leave bags in there like you can in Chicago?

All these questions..... Anyone would think I have never been on a train before! 28 years working on UK railways and could zip across Europe by train tomorrow without a second thought!!! :lol:

Yes, it's usually right behind the baggage car. Eight of the rooms are passenger rooms, the rest of the car is given over to the crew.

Does it have shower and restrooms (awful word, just say 'toilet' !!!) like the 'normal' sleepers?
There is a shower on the upper level, as well as a bathroom for your use.

As for the lounge access, I assume because I arrive in a sleeper I can still use it, even though my onward journey to Newark is in steerage? Can you leave bags in there like you can in Chicago?
Yes, you can still use the lounge, even though you are departing from DC on a Regional. They will most likely however make you go out to join the regular line in that case. Sorry, I thought that you were going the other way.

And yes, you can leave your bags there. However, the room is open to the public and not manned by a redcap like it is in Chicago. So don't leave anything valuable in your bags.

I did lunch at the pub thats litereally across from the station - the Capitol City I think it is. The food was pretty good, and they brew beer there (I think, there are some impressive copper brewing tanks just behing the bar) so theres something to drink too.

It was a nice way to spend an hour - but then I had food and beer and was looking out into a sunny DC before getting on the Acela, so things were good in the world :)

If you decide to squeeze in something non-culinary during your short time, the Postal Museum( which I assume isdstill open) is next to Union Station and well worth a quick visit. You might still be able to send a postcard from the museom with its own postmark. When I was there (several years ago) one of the main exhibits was a Railway mail car which was great.

Ed

awful word, just say 'toilet' !!!
"Toilet" just sort of sounds icky to American ears...

I had a very good breakfast at the restaurant right in the middle of the main hall. Other than that, I haven't eaten at Union Station.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had about a 2 hour layover in Washington a couple of weeks ago and we took a stroll to the reflection pool which was a few blocks away. The cherry trees were in blossom so it was a beautiful walk. After spending 8 hours on a regional from Boston it was nice to get out and stretch our legs.

Yes, it's usually right behind the baggage car. Eight of the rooms are passenger rooms, the rest of the car is given over to the crew.

Al, the 4 roometts closest to the 2901/3001 are the revenue rooms(17, 18, 19, 20). remaning 4( 21, 22, 23, 24) are passrider rooms, and the 8 on the step-down end are crew rooms.

RR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back