Capital Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tank Carlisle

How many cars does the Capital Limited have these days?

It has changed off and on a few times during the past month. It looks like this week is back to normal, for example today's 29 has got a good mix.

2 P42s

Baggage Car

Transitional Dorm

2 Sleepers

Diner/Lounge Combo

Lounge

Baggage/Coach Combo

2 Coaches

And then the past two days and today as well, we have a sleeper on the end deadheading to Chicago, to Beech Grove it appears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heading westbound form Washington in a few days, and I was wondering what is the current consist. I read there was only a CCC (Diner/Lounge) rather than a full diner and a Sightseer Lounge.

Thanks!

I hated the Capitol Limited the one time I rode on it specifically because it lacked a sightseer lounge. I saw two lounge cars just sitting in Portland when I was there last week and another rider told me he saw them being used on the Cascades trains. If they have extra lounges, there is no reason for there not to be one on the CL.

Heading westbound form Washington in a few days, and I was wondering what is the current consist. I read there was only a CCC (Diner/Lounge) rather than a full diner and a Sightseer Lounge.

Thanks!
This is the modified consist which will be in place until sometime in March; hopefully then the Sightseer will return.

I hated the Capitol Limited the one time I rode on it specifically because it lacked a sightseer lounge. I saw two lounge cars just sitting in Portland when I was there last week and another rider told me he saw them being used on the Cascades trains. If they have extra lounges, there is no reason for there not to be one on the CL.
Amtrak says they are using the slow season to get caught up on maintenance and servicing of the LD equipment. If there are several in Portland, they may be being used for the Coast Starlight and Empire Builder or being moved for that matter. According to the service alert, the reduced consist is to end on February 28.

As to why shrink the consist, consider these monthly ridership numbers in 2014 for the CL:

August: 22,816 (and this was during the early stages of the Norfolk Southern meltdown)

versus

January: 16,328

February: 13,561

The ridership in both January and February 2014 was up over the same months in 2013, so those are not anomalies.

As Ryan mentioned, 5 car consist for our 30 and 29 last week. Second sleeper served some of the crew as their dorm. A combo bag/coach instead of a regular baggage car. Not many riding in sleepers...diners were many times holding only 8 people or so at a time. And only one loco.

It has changed off and on a few times during the past month. It looks like this week is back to normal, for example today's 29 has got a good mix.

2 P42s

Baggage Car

Transitional Dorm

2 Sleepers

Diner/Lounge Combo

Lounge

Baggage/Coach Combo

2 Coaches

And then the past two days and today as well, we have a sleeper on the end deadheading to Chicago, to Beech Grove it appears.
I had a different experience on Monday......our 3001 car was directly behind the engines. (I love the horn, but directly behind the engine, not so much.......)

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode out on 29 with the short consist on Wednesday evening (1/28). The CCC wasn't all that bad, considering the small number of passengers. They had hourly dinner seatings between 5 and 9, but the diner section was pretty much empty after 8 PM. I missed the SSL, as my room was on the left (south) side of the train, which meant that the sun was in my eyes for the hour and a half or so to Harpers Ferry that the sun was up. I hung out in the lounge the next morning, and I had a fine view of the Indiana Dunes, Lake Michigan near Hammond-Whiting, and the steel mills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back