Canada Coast-to-Coast

Discussion in 'Travelogues / Trip Reports' started by PaulDobbs, Sep 14, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Sep 14, 2019 #26

jiml

jiml

jiml

Lead Service Attendant

That's quite a book you've written! I'm only about half-way through, but thought I'd drop a couple of questions on you before I forget. The first is a railfan question: You referred to the Maple Leaf and Adirondack being one train out of NYP. Were they both combined and led by one locomotive, then sorted out at Albany or two physical full trains coupled (called a J-train by VIA Rail) where you could not pass from one to the other while moving? Secondly, you mentioned dining at the Westin in Halifax. We're duplicating that part of your trip in about 6 weeks and I'd be interested on your thoughts on their food and service. I haven't been there for many years. Thanks in advance.

2. Sep 14, 2019 #27

Dakota 400

D

Dakota 400

Conductor

This is nothing less than a fantastically great report and a very enjoyable read!

The section of your last post that I highlighted states the most important things that I enjoy when I travel by whatever means of transportation. They are the essence of why I travel and it's obvious why you do so as well.

Thank you for your efforts in writing and posting this trip report!

3. Sep 14, 2019 #28

PaulDobbs

P

PaulDobbs

Train Attendant

I believe the Adirondack and Maple Leaf were combined with a single locomotive. They were split in Albany.

As to the Westin, the hotel restaurant was never open during my stay. I don't know why. I wound up eating from a reduced menu at the lobby bar. I wasn't impressed.

4. Sep 14, 2019 #29

jiml

jiml

jiml

Lead Service Attendant

Thanks for the update on both items - I was just curious. While a locomotive change usually takes place on the Adirondack, the P-32's frequently run all the way to Toronto - hence the thought they may have just joined the two trains. I've been worried about the Westin... I stayed there years ago, but only picked it this time to avoid the taxi ride to the downtown Marriott (which is much nicer). Figured to eat in the bar anyway on day of arrival, however was hoping for decent dinner the next night.:( I'd heard it had declined; looks like the reports may be accurate.

5. Sep 14, 2019 #30

jiml

jiml

jiml

Lead Service Attendant

I should add, thoroughly enjoyed your entire report.

6. Sep 14, 2019 #31

OBS

O

OBS

Conductor

What a great trip and great report! Thanks for sharing.

7. Sep 15, 2019 #32

JRR

J

JRR

OBS Chief

Super report. We did the trip the other direction and it was so great it got us riding trains whenever we can.

We didn’t do the Prestige (didn’t know about it), but had access to a “Dome” car and never had a problem finding s seat. We really enjoyed Halifax also.
    Thanks for putting so much time and effort into sharing your trip with us.

8. Sep 16, 2019 #33

Sauve850

Sauve850

Sauve850

Lead Service Attendant

Great report. I rode 8 at the same time and we had dinner together and a lunch. I and everyone at the table for both meals enjoyed your travel stories. Glad you made it home safe. Hope you are well.

9. Sep 16, 2019 #34

railiner

railiner

railiner

Conductor

Superb report! Thanks so much for spending the time to post and share it with all of us! Very well written, covered just about everything, and was written so those unfamiliar with train travel, could learn from it, as well as enjoy.

One little correction...AIDA Cruises is not Italian, but German...it is one of several cruise lines owned by Carnival Corporation. It is marketed to German-speaking passenger's....

10. Sep 17, 2019 #35

PaulDobbs

P

PaulDobbs

Train Attendant

Yeah, I got corrected on that a couple of days ago by my daughter, who has worked on cruise ships.

11. Sep 20, 2019 #36

v v

v

v v

Conductor AU Supporter

Where next?

Agree with every word Dakota wrote, Bravo!

anumberone and Bob Dylan like this.
  12. Sep 26, 2019 #37

Lonestar648

L

Lonestar648

Conductor AU Supporter

My daughter and I have decided to make the the cross Canada trip but starting in Vancouver and going East. We are still sorting out when, since she needs to get two weeks off which is difficult for an RN at a hospital. Thanks for your report, my daughter said it made her decision.

Bob Dylan likes this.