Can you get to your car on the auto train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimePeace

Disillusioned.
A hypothetical Q. as I am not likely to need to travel between the city pairs of the AT -

But can you get to your car and hang out? I mean, if I had a station wagon or mini-van and wanted to sleep there instead of in coach, could I do so?

Not just safety concerns. It's not physically possible to do so. The Auto Carriers do not have doors that can even open and connect with the doors on a passenger car.

A hypothetical Q. as I am not likely to need to travel between the city pairs of the AT -

But can you get to your car and hang out? I mean, if I had a station wagon or mini-van and wanted to sleep there instead of in coach, could I do so?
Absolutely not! It is physically impossible. Each auto carrier has a set of end doors which are closed and padlocked on the outside by the station crew. I am told even the operating crews (conductors/engineers) don't have any keys for the padlocks.

When you check in, you turn your car over to the local station crew. You must leave the ignition key with them, and leave the driver's window rolled down. This is done so that the driver can get in the car in the event it locks "passively" (i.e. key-less entry, etc.). You should disable any passive alarm system also, since the motion of the train will surely keep setting it off, and you don't want your battery drained. Real embarrassing if it's your car that's stuck in front of others, making it difficult for other cars to be unloaded!

You should disable any passive alarm system also, since the motion of the train will surely keep setting it off, and you don't want your battery drained. Real embarrassing if it's your car that's stuck in front of others, making it difficult for other cars to be unloaded!
Now, that is one I had not thought about, but should have. It will do its thing as long as the train is moving and until it tmes out after the train has stopped. Thsi also happens in high winds and particularly gusty winds, as in tropical storm type winds.

You should disable any passive alarm system also, since the motion of the train will surely keep setting it off, and you don't want your battery drained. Real embarrassing if it's your car that's stuck in front of others, making it difficult for other cars to be unloaded!
Now, that is one I had not thought about, but should have. It will do its thing as long as the train is moving and until it tmes out after the train has stopped.
I'm thinking the battery will be long dead before that. ^_^

Now, that is one I had not thought about, but should have. It will do its thing as long as the train is moving and until it tmes out after the train has stopped.
If you are thinking about the entire route, almost certainly so. However, there will be stops along the way. Florence for sure, and probably a few other times when meeting other trains.

If you are thinking about the entire route, almost certainly so. However, there will be stops along the way. Florence for sure, and probably a few other times when meeting other trains.
I agree, but it's only that last stop that matters... :)

Assuming that you could even get to your car; you wouldn't want to be there. You'd be in a closed, dark, and sweltering hot (or bitter cold), enclosed auto carrier. You will find the comfort in coach or in a sleeper on the Autotrain acceptable. If you can afford it, the sleeper is the way to go, If not then sleeping in coach isn't bad and all fares include dinner and a continental breakfast.

I'm just wondering from a purely feasible standpoint, would it be possible for people to stay in the car and not get caught? I mean many trunks now have the ability to open up into the car (if it is a smaller car) and you could theoretically hide in there and then sleep in the car so that you could avoid paying the fare. The keys are in so could turn on heat or ac if necessary. Just a though on how easy it was.

I'm just wondering from a purely feasible standpoint, would it be possible for people to stay in the car and not get caught? I mean many trunks now have the ability to open up into the car (if it is a smaller car) and you could theoretically hide in there and then sleep in the car so that you could avoid paying the fare. The keys are in so could turn on heat or ac if necessary. Just a though on how easy it was.
Just like smuggling friends into the drive in movie theater in the trunk of the car and only paying for one person.

Just like smuggling friends into the drive in movie theater in the trunk of the car and only paying for one person.
In a way yes. But I think the no bathroom plus no climate control plus no meals makes it extremely unlikely and not something that should be worried about.

In a way yes. But I think the no bathroom plus no climate control plus no meals makes it extremely unlikely and not something that should be worried about.
This method may be used for a dog or cat, although I would never do that with my Archie.

This method may be used for a dog or cat, although I would never do that with my Archie.
Add Mitt Romney traveling dog joke HERE.

Sorry, I mis-typed my previous response. This method may NOT be used for a dog or cat or any other live animal.

I am told even the operating crews (conductors/engineers) don't have any keys for the padlocks.
I don't think that is accurate, I recall reading somewhere that someone was able to obtain some medicine that had been accidentally left in a car during the trip. Wish I could remember where I read it...
Perhaps, during the utility stop in Florence, where some of the locals there might have keys? That's the only place they might have time for any searching. I couldn't see them stopping/delaying the train en-route to search for one car out of hundreds to find a medicine bottle. First, they'd need to know which auto carrier it (the target car) is in. I know they keep records of when a car gets loaded/unloaded, but do they also record the specific auto carrier # into which it's loaded? Then, they'd have to find that auto carrier out of 18+ and hope they can find that particular car in the auto carrier. And with the ramps folded up, I'm not it's even possible to get to the "upper deckers." :p

Probably would be more effective for Amtrak to call a pharmacy in Florence and have the meds waiting there at the utility stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am told even the operating crews (conductors/engineers) don't have any keys for the padlocks.
I don't think that is accurate, I recall reading somewhere that someone was able to obtain some medicine that had been accidentally left in a car during the trip. Wish I could remember where I read it...
Perhaps, during the utility stop in Florence, where some of the locals there might have keys? That's the only place they might have time for any searching. I couldn't see them stopping/delaying the train en-route to search for one car out of hundreds to find a medicine bottle. First, they'd need to know which auto carrier it (the target car) is in. I know they keep records of when a car gets loaded/unloaded, but do they also record the specific auto carrier # into which it's loaded? Then, they'd have to find that auto carrier out of 18+ and hope they can find that particular car in the auto carrier. And with the ramps folded up, I'm not it's even possible to get to the "upper deckers." :p

Probably would be more effective for Amtrak to call a pharmacy in Florence and have the meds waiting there at the utility stop.
How would they access the particular autorack without uncoupling the cars? Is there some sort of side door into the racks?

I'm skeptical that this ever happened.

How would they access the particular autorack without uncoupling the cars? Is there some sort of side door into the racks?

I'm skeptical that this ever happened.
The end doors are on arm braces that allow them to (sort of) "fold" outward, always parallel to the end edge of the carrier and land flat on the outskirts of that edge, exposing the inner body of the carrier. The tire ramps then fold down into place. Someone could get in that way, and not terribly tight a fit, but close enough that I wouldn't do it. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the conductors DO have keys for the carriers. I personally never had to go back there but yes, I do have a key. We started getting the keys after one automobile caught on fire some years ago in one of the old carriers and the crew couldn't get in it. They split away from the carrier and the fire department had to break open the end door.

Yes, the conductors DO have keys for the carriers. I personally never had to go back there but yes, I do have a key. We started getting the keys after one automobile caught on fire some years ago in one of the old carriers and the crew couldn't get in it. They split away from the carrier and the fire department had to break open the end door.
You beat me to the punch. Twas about to say that it makes sense for the conductor to have the keys. So that the cars can be access en-route in the case of emergencies (like a fire) or I was thinking of an accent.

I'd like to see Amtrak invest in the Auto Carriers used by the Le Shuttle service thru the Channel Tunnel. These cars are much more convenient for the customer to use, however their big draw back is that they use a wider loading gauge.

peter

You beat me to the punch. Twas about to say that it makes sense for the conductor to have the keys. So that the cars can be access en-route in the case of emergencies (like a fire) or I was thinking of an accent.

I'd like to see Amtrak invest in the Auto Carriers used by the Le Shuttle service thru the Channel Tunnel. These cars are much more convenient for the customer to use, however their big draw back is that they use a wider loading gauge.

peter

The chunnel "Le Shuttle" trains are a completely different concept though. In that case you stay in your car and the carriers are completely climate controlled - it's also only a 45 minute ride. There's no way I'd want to sit in my car for 18+ hours on my way down to florida!

I think the current Auto Train system works really well and I wouldn't mess with it. Instead of spending millions of $$ on Le Shuttle carriers I'd rather see a second auto train frequency or an additional route!

OK, fair enough. I guess it makes sense if something does happen en-route. I'm not sure though how the containers could be unloaded without the ramps, unless they could have a portable ramp sent to wherever the train is. But I also doubt it's something you would do unless it's absolutely necessary (i.e. a "safety emergency").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back