can someone tell me about New Orleans lounge for sleeper pax?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DraftBeer

Train Attendant
can someone tell me abou New Orleans lounge for sleeper pax?

the only thread I found was from 2009... not sure how current the information is...

also... Amtrak's website say there are no lockers at this station. Is there somewhere we can store a couple of carry-on bags for several hours?

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The "lounge" is a single locked room (obtain the door code from the agent at the ticket counter) that has some chairs and a coffee pot. That's it!

You can day check bags at the ticket counter.
what does "day check bag" mean?

thanks!

It means you can check your bags at the ticket counter for the day while you visit the city. But you can't leave them with the ticket counter agent overnight.

It means you can check your bags at the ticket counter for the day while you visit the city. But you can't leave them with the ticket counter agent overnight.
have they always had this service at most larger stations?

The so called Lounge @ Union Station in NOLA is called the Magnolia Room, but theres no Magnolias there!

It was remodeled a couple of years ago, but as was said, it's basically a small room with a few chairs,tv and coffee pot.

Nothing fancy and it's first come, First served since there's not not enough seats for everyone.

The bathrooms are in the main Lobby and theres a Subway by the Greyhound Waiting Room which shares Union Station.

It's the only place I've been where an Amtrak Police Officer comes into the Lounge and briefs Sleeping Car passengers before going to the Main Lobby to board.

There is a separate Coach line at the boarding door, Sleeper passengers get priority after you're ticket and ID are checked at the door before going to the train.

Day checking luggage is allowed at the Amtrak Ticket Counter for the standard $4 a day per bag.

The so called Lounge @ Union Station in NOLA is called the Magnolia Room, but theres no Magnolias there!

It was remodeled a couple of years ago, but as was said, it's basically a small room with a few chairs,tv and coffee pot.

Nothing fancy and it's first come, First served since there's not not enough seats for everyone.

The bathrooms are in the main Lobby and theres a Subway by the Greyhound Waiting Room which shares Union Station.

It's the only place I've been where an Amtrak Police Officer comes into the Lounge and briefs Sleeping Car passengers before going to the Main Lobby to board.

There is a separate Coach line at the boarding door, Sleeper passengers get priority after you're ticket and ID are checked at the door before going to the train.

Day checking luggage is allowed at the Amtrak Ticket Counter for the standard $4 a day per bag.
are there TSA and Border Patrol agents at New Orleans station? (not going to affect me, but I'm just curious because I saw both at two other Amtrak stations recently)

are there TSA and Border Patrol agents at New Orleans station? (not going to affect me, but I'm just curious because I saw both at two other Amtrak stations recently)
I have never seen TSA or ICE agents at NOUPT, but I haven't been there since last summer.

In addition to day checking, remember you can check your "checked" bags in up to 24 hours in advance.

As the other say the Magnolia Room is just a large un-hosted room with chairs, some magazines, and a coffee pot and occasional snacks like chips, etc.

It's much nicer than it was a few years ago. I was in there last week, and it had light snacks and bottled water to go along with the coffee. About 20 or so comfortable seats, and TVs. Some nice old school Amtrak posters on the wall, too.

In ABQ last year, I day checked my bags since the SWC was running late, but I was not charged a fee. The agent checked my ticket and asked me if I wanted to check the bags. I told her no, we just wanted to store them for couple of hours and we were going to carry the bags into our bedroom. She took the bags and handed me a baggage check and no mention of any fees.

In ABQ last year, I day checked my bags since the SWC was running late, but I was not charged a fee. The agent checked my ticket and asked me if I wanted to check the bags. I told her no, we just wanted to store them for couple of hours and we were going to carry the bags into our bedroom. She took the bags and handed me a baggage check and no mention of any fees.
An example of how many of the "face to face" Amtrak customer servicing staff really care about the passengers thinking of them as their Guests. Too often only the bad exceptions come to the surface, so that is what hear about most often.

It is nothing special, but compared with having nothing, like in Seattle, this is great.
I found the Magnolia Room to be pleasant and a more comfortable site to wait rather than being in the main waiting room.

In July, waiting to board the EB, I will have, at best, a 6 hour wait in Seattle. Such a facility would be appreciated. Does anyone know why Seattle never had such a room developed?

Back