Can kids under 16 travel alone?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mercedeslove

Lead Service Attendant
My boy friends sister is wondering if she can put her kid who is 10 on Amtrak around Christmas and ship him off to his dads for a while. He'd be getting off at Reno. Which is two nights on a train, mostly likely in coach since she really isn't rich. He has inner ear issues and shes worried about him flying.

Thing is I am not sure it might be a good idea for him, she says he's 'free spirited' but he's more of a budding psychopath. He's a bit of a fire started, trash cans, GI Joe dolls in the ash tray, the hair on his sisters barbie dolls, the tip of a cats tail, he's been in a few fights in school, threw his wii console against a wall because his character "died", he's just an angry kid. Could he handle this? How should she do this? I fear him going nuts on the poor attendant because she said no. He, like most kids, hates that word. She's suppose to call me on Sunday. What should I suggest? That is if kids can travel alone.

I believe there are some restrictions. 1-800-USA-RAIL is my suggestion. Explain the situation. Ask what you can do. But... It sounds like he needs someone with him. But that's my opinion.

Steve

he's more of a budding psychopath. He's a bit of a fire started, trash cans, GI Joe dolls in the ash tray, the hair on his sisters barbie dolls, the tip of a cats tail, he's been in a few fights in school, threw his wii console against a wall because his character "died"
Whew!
t3616.gif
For a minute there, I thought you were describing me!
laugh.gif

Sounds like the kid needs a lot more help than a bunch of unsuspecting strangers on a train can provide. His ability to act in a mature and responsible manner should be more of a determining factor for his parents than anything a static calendar can tell them. Not being rich is a great reason to not have any kids, but it's a lousy excuse for pushing borderline delinquent offspring onto the rest of us.

Sounds like the kid needs a lot more help than a bunch of unsuspecting strangers on a train can provide. His ability to act in a mature and responsible manner should be more of a determining factor for his parents than anything a static calendar can tell them. Not being rich is a great reason to not have any kids, but it's a lousy excuse for pushing borderline delinquent offspring onto the rest of us.

Yeah, I know he sees the school shrink but his mom baby's him and doesn't really think anything is wrong and that he will out grow it. You know 'it's a phase' A lot of it is when his dad moved out to the Reno area for work. Mom is not the best mother either. She has a few boy friends and is never around and leaves him and his sister with his grandmother all the time. A lot of people have tried to tell her it's more than just a phase but it goes in one ear and out the other. I feel bad for the kid but still as much as he wants to see his dad, I don't think two days alone on a LD train is such a good idea.

She knows I take Amtrak a lot so she keeps asking me all kinds of questions and it's hard for me not to tell her 'putting him on a train is really stupid, he needs to stay home because the poor crew doesn't need that on their hands'

But now that I know he can travel alone I will let her know. Hopefully something will come up and the whole trip will fall through. She spends the money her fiance/ex makes and sends to help the kids on dumb stuff anyway, like a new Wii two days after her broke the first one. So hopefully the funds won't be there.

No idea why dad can't come out for a few days.

Or according to Amtrak "We require that the child be interviewed. On the day of travel, a station agent or other appropriate authority will directly interview the child to determine whether the child is capable of traveling alone." he won't be allowed to board.

Another question? How should she handle the whole snack, meals, and money for food thing. Ten-year-olds aren't exactly mature enough to handle large sums of money.

I'm glad to see that Amtrak won't allow him to travel overnight.

When my daughter was 11 or 12 years old, she flew alone from Chicago to Cleveland to visit my sister. My daughter was well behaved. had no psychological problems and was an honor roll student. I worried all the while until I knew my sister had met her at the airport.

I would never have allowed her to travel overnight alone on a train. It would never have even crossed my mind.

Regardless of any company policy, if the kid can't be trusted to handle the money required to feed himself, then he has no business traveling on his own.

If the kid misbehaves, the conductor will put him off at the closest suitable location, into the hands of the local authorities. It will then be up to the parent(s) to come get the kid, at their own personal expense.

The length of the trip, time of day of travel, and anything else won't make a difference for the above.

I'm glad to see that Amtrak won't allow him to travel overnight.

When my daughter was 11 or 12 years old, she flew alone from Chicago to Cleveland to visit my sister. My daughter was well behaved. had no psychological problems and was an honor roll student. I worried all the while until I knew my sister had met her at the airport.

I would never have allowed her to travel overnight alone on a train. It would never have even crossed my mind.
When my kids were younger they flew unaccompanied, but I would never put them on a train. To many intermittent stops to get off and not get back on. To much area to wander around on the train itself.

How times have changed... First time I took the train without adult supervision, by myself, was in 1974. Rode in coach from Washington, DC to Emeryville, CA, via Chicago. I was 14. Nobody at Amtrak questioned me about my 'youthful' status.

I would run as far away from recommending this kid travel alone as I can.........Many kids do, and can, and in my opinion, it is ALL about the level of maturity.

And from the descriptions posted in this thread.......

I would run as far away from recommending this kid travel alone as I can.........Many kids do, and can, and in my opinion, it is ALL about the level of maturity.

And from the descriptions posted in this thread.......
I agree whole heartedly. I guess the tough question is who determines the level of maturity in a minor. I'd bet there are lots of 14 and 15 year olds who could travel on their own, and there are a lot that cannot.

Thing is I am not sure it might be a good idea for him, she says he's 'free spirited' but he's more of a budding psychopath. He's a bit of a fire started, trash cans, GI Joe dolls in the ash tray, the hair on his sisters barbie dolls, the tip of a cats tail, he's been in a few fights in school, threw his wii console against a wall because his character "died", he's just an angry kid. Could he handle this? How should she do this? I fear him going nuts on the poor attendant because she said no. He, like most kids, hates that word. She's suppose to call me on Sunday. What should I suggest? That is if kids can travel alone.
I can say that this sounds a lot like my kid. Well, back when he was 10 years old.

Yea, the way custody was working out at the time, at 10, he would "commute" on Metro North, which included changing trains about 1/2 way (in Croton?). This was on Friday night to me, and Sunday night returning back.

While he had troubles holding it together at home (and at school), he had no trouble holding it together while traveling. I kept asking his therapist why he was able to be so good and quite responsible on the train trips, but not anywhere else. Kids can surprise you at times.

he's more of a budding psychopath. He's a bit of a fire started, trash cans, GI Joe dolls in the ash tray, the hair on his sisters barbie dolls, the tip of a cats tail, he's been in a few fights in school, threw his wii console against a wall because his character "died"
Whew!
t3616.gif
For a minute there, I thought you were describing me![img]http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif[/img]
I think she got it right except for the age!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back