CALIFORNIA ZEPHYR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John

Hi, all. My wife and I are booked in August, boarding in Denver and going westward to Emeryville CA. Our first trip on Amtrak in about ten years, and we're very much looking forward to it. We are flying back home from California, so we'll only be on the train one way. We will be on the upper level in coach. Can anyone tell us whether we ought to try to sit on the right side (looking mostly north) or the left side (looking mostly south) on the train (if we have a choice)? Are the spectacular views any more spectacular on one side or the other?

Also, we are going to sleep overnight in our coach seats. How comfortable (or otherwise) is this? Also, how are the shower facilities for coach passengers?Unfortunately, we really cannot afford a sleeper, so we have to make the best of it. Any suggestions about this would be most appreciated!

Finally, what items did you forget that you really wished you had on the train?

Many thanks for your kindness in responding!

John

I did that same leg last summer. In my limited experience it was some of the best scenery I've seen on any route. After you leave DEN the first major attraction is a big horseshoe type curve where you can see almost the entire train. This is best viewed from the south (left) side of the train. After that both sides had much to see, altough I seem to remember some of the more grand vistas from the north (right side). It will be very popular but you can always spend time in the lounge as well. In that case, there is plenty to see out both sides of the train, as well as listen to the NPS volunteer route guides. Have a good trip.

That will be a awesome trip! There are no shower facilities for coach passengers, but you can get reasonably refreshed using "wet-wipes"...if I remember right, there is more room in the downstairs restroom facilities than upstairs....you might want to explore a bit....

Going westward, generally the views are better on the right/north side of the train. You have good views of the climb out of Denver (the other side you are against the rock face), and Glenwood Canyon. Gore Canyon is better on the south side, as is Ruby Canyon. But Glenwood and climbing the Front Range are real highpoints, so I'd work around those. Going over Donner, the train switches to different sides of the ridges, so both sides have some good things.

No showers in coach.

Last edited by a moderator:
That will be a awesome trip! There are no shower facilities for coach passengers, but you can get reasonably refreshed using "wet-wipes"...if I remember right, there is more room in the downstairs restroom facilities than upstairs....you might want to explore a bit....
There are also no upstairs restrooms in coach...all downstairs...

There is a great section about what to bring but what we experienced in coach is that it is kept purposefully cool to cold and our light never went off... it was dimmed. We had travel pillows, blankets, eye masks and ear plugs which helped a great deal. I did my bedtime routine and brought pj's ( pants/top) to change in to, as well as melatonin to help sleep. For the morning, I brought a wash cloth and soap and put them in a baggie to "wash" in the morning.

After you leave Reno, the river flows on both sides.... the right side is the best after leaving Truckee but about 45 minutes to an hour out of Colfax is the most spectacular canyon on the right side... I always think we missed it but we always catch a glimpse. You may ask the conductor....

Hope you have a great time! We are going the entire route in December and really looking forward to it.

The best side of the train is the upstairs Lounge car. Better windows and seats.

Reno_Denver_Train_2009_015.jpg

Reno_Denver_Train_2009_005.jpg

Reno_Denver_Train_2009_027.jpg

Edited to add pictures

I got a roomette from Grand Junction CO. { GJT } for about $175. That will include 6 meals for the two of you and a shower. GJT is a smoke stop so you would have time to move. If you put together $10 a week until you leave it will make your trip much more enjoyable. Also look into a roomette for just your night time hours. Maybe GJT-RNO

Check out AMSNAG for the best rates.

In coach on the Zephyr, there are only restrooms DOWNSTAIRS. There are several of them, some with areas to change clothes and some that are smaller just with the facilities. Make sure you bring a pillow and blanket to make the trip more enjoyable and comfortable. There are leg rests that pull up manually from the front of the seat to rest your legs on and then you can set the foot rest to rest your feet on. The view from Denver west is beautiful, I made the trip just this month. If possible, sit away from the stairs as the light there stays on all night and it seems better half way between them and the doors if possible to choose. Enjoy your trip.

Many thanks for all your responses! I will follow all this advice!

John

Bring some basic snacks and drinks in a bag, as the Amsnacks are pricey. Best part is that, once consumed, you have free space in your bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back