California Zephyr Video/movie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Relei

I have a question for someone-in-the-know:

I have a video featuring the California Zephyr of the 1950s. The box says it was a rare public relations film. It is very lavishly done: in color, about an hour in length, musical score, scenes onboard (diner, sleepers, coaches, especially the domes), highlights of scenes along the route, highlights of the cities served, etc.

To whom and where were these films shown--stockholders, travelers, travel agencies, etc? Were they shown in movie theatres, schools, etc.? Did these movies do any good at getting people onto the trains? I presume other films of other named passenger trains were produced?

Any more information?

I've seen a set that was put out by Burlington Northern (before it became BNSF) that has promotional videos from the roads that became BN, such as Great Northern and Northern Pacific. One of them was from the 1930's and was used to promote the (at the time) new Empire Builder. Another one, which was on the same tape, was completely silent and promoted travelling to Alaska on the NP. I also would like to know what they were used for. I presume by the 1950's that they may have shown up in schools, but where else were they used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back