California Zephyr Coach Price Differences

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I'm new to rail travel and booking my first trip on the California Zephyr from Emeryville to Denver. There are 3 price options for reserved coach on amtrak.com, $114.00, $144.00 and $276.00. What's the difference?

Thanks!

Bluebird

Clicking on the blue bar containing the names of those different fares will produce a drop-down display explaining the features (refundability and flexibility) of each fare.

The $115 you saw is the Saver fare from DEN to EMY and is 20% less than the Value fare of $144. The Saver fare is offered only two weeks or more in advance - if it is offered at all. Including the Saver fare, there are a total of 6 different possible coach fares, but over some span of time all may not be offered.

AmSnag... http://biketrain.net/amsnag/amSnag.php ...will allow you to see how fares vary by date of travel and allow you to shop for the cheapest possible fare provided your travel date has some flexibility.

Similar to the airlines. there are "Saver" fares with penalties and advanced purchase requirements. The Full Fare for Coach is similar to the "Y" fare when you fly, few if any penalties.

When booking long distance, I recommend the Value fare. It gives you a full refund if cancelled before the 8 days out mark. Then it’s a 25% refund fee within 8 days, or you can get an e-voucher for the full amount (no fee). The Value fare is known as the ‘base rail fare’ as it is sort of the standard coach price. A good way to see the lowest possible coach fare is to select a sleeper, and then check to see what the base ‘1 adult’ fare is shown. Sleepers are priced by adding the lowest price Value rail fare to the cost of the room. So no matter what the coach fare is that day, the base sleeper rail fare will be the lowest fare possible. That way you know what the best possible price is.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak allocates a limited number of tickets to the Saver fare, so the few Saver tickets are likely to be snagged way sooner than 2 weeks before the travel date one wants.

Value, Flexible, and sleeper fare pricing usually goes up some as there are fewer seats/sleepers available as one books closer to their desired travel date.

Thanks for all the great information everyone! Like everything, it's all about the fine print. I'm looking forward to my first of hopefully many train trips!

Thanks for all the great information everyone! Like everything, it's all about the fine print. I'm looking forward to my first of hopefully many train trips!
This is your first time ever taking Amtrak? If so, prepare for a fun but slightly frustrating trip!

Most trips I have taken on Amtrak and I have taken lot since the late 1980's, have been the opposite of frustrating. If they were frustrating why would I continue to ride. That being said, know that there is no 100% whether it is car, bus, plane, ship, or rail. All transportation modes have their disappointing moments, but these few occasions are over ridden by the spectacular views you get as you travel through this beautiful country we are blessed to live in.

Yes first time on Amtrak, but I'm no newbie to travel. It's unrealistic to expect things to go 100% smooth or as planned, that being said, I'm always up for an adventure! Isn't that why we travel in the first place?!

. . . prepare for a fun but slightly frustrating trip!
Nothing like planting that little seed of discontent so it can grow and grow between now and departure.
My point was that it will be a very enjoyable adventure likely characterized by a few 'bumps in the road'. I don't think I've ever had an absolutely perfect Amtrak trip, but that quirkiness sort of makes taking Amtrak more enjoyable than almost anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back