California in July - Train and Camping

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the notice about YART's online ticketing. Thats a nice addition. When I road it last year and bought a round-trip I was handed by the driver a small laminated ticket that they clearly kept reusing it was one of the stranger transit tickets I've ever received.

I'm thinking of making the trip this summer. My kid has never been to Yosemite, and I'd like for the family to go camping. I like the idea of taking the bus just to get around the difficulty of getting campground reservations, but without the uncertainty of trying to get into Camp 4.

I see the notice about YART's online ticketing. Thats a nice addition. When I road it last year and bought a round-trip I was handed by the driver a small laminated ticket that they clearly kept reusing it was one of the stranger transit tickets I've ever received.
That's not all that odd. Some airlines around the world still use passes like that. When I took Megabus a month ago the attendant checked my reservation number and handed me a ratty looking laminated and numbered boarding pass. I remember when Southwest Airlines used to hand out reusable boarding passes. They were just thick colored plastic sheets with a number. Sometimes it got awkward to use after someone attempted to fold one or sat on one stuffed in a back pocket. I remember when they did a redesign for use in California airports where they were shaped like an outline of the state of California. I always wondered what might happen if someone lost one or if they simply decided not to board and didn't return the pass. I also remember a stop at Haneda Airport near Tokyo once where we didn't change planes. They let us off to stretch, but we were given laminated passes that we used to get back on the plane.

Apparently Southwest donated a collection of these old passes to the National Air and Space Museum:

S.412.p10-P_640.jpg

http://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/gal102/americabyair/abaImage.cfm?webID=412.p10

And I found one image of the California shaped one, where a collector managed to get one of the retired passes:

http://www.blogsouthwest.com/blog/best-flashback-fridays-intriguing-oddities-southwest%E2%80%99s-past

The YARTS bus I saw at Merced a few weeks ago was a 45' Green MCI Coach similar to a tour bus. I assume it just depends on the demand.

The model used was quite new (within the past two years but it looked newer than that).

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of the buses they use the full 45' MCIs they had to use minibuses for a bit after the road washed out a few years ago and the temperary road couldn't handle full length buses.

Wow, I had no idea it would be so hard to get a state park campground reservation, for the middle of the week, *two months* in advance! I'm sure glad I went ahead and booked the campsite, since it's not like we can just drive up the road to the next campground.

I started out, actually, wondering if there was something better than San Elijo, which is right in the middle of Encinitas, squeezed into a 200-foot-wide strip between a four-lane road and the bluffs. A lot of playing around with Google Maps (I had to turn off the trial of the "new, improved" Maps - it was clunky and slow) found something much better: San Onofre State Beach, between San Clemente and the north side of Camp Pendleton Marine base. It's 3,000 acres of canyon, plus over 3 miles of beach (though most of that is separated from the rest of the park by a nuclear power plant). The camping is in the canyon with a 1.5 mile hike to the beach - that sounds like a lot, but it's a lot closer to what me and my wife want to spend our time doing anyway. It's an easy bus ride from San Clemente Pier Amtrak (SNP) to the campground - there's a bus stop right at the campground driveway. And bike rental near the Amtrak station, too.

Even more convenient would have been San Clemente State Beach - in the middle of town, but about a half mile square. Unfortunately, they aren't kidding when they say it's "one of the most popular beaches in California." It was booked solid. I added a "watch" on the reserveamerica.com booking site, but we'll probably keep our reservations in the canyon - we'd get socked with a $7.50 change fee plus the $8.00 "reservation charge". We'd probably go hiking in the canyon anyway.

Now I just need to call up and change my Amtrak reservation (since I can't change it online). After we fly into San Diego on Monday, we'll catch the Pacific Surfliner out of SAN (probably the 2:40 departure) for the ride to SNP. Then on Wednesday, for our overnight trip to San Francisco via Santa Barbara, we'll catch the northbound Surfliner at 5:21.

Reserving a campsite in popular areas of California isn't easy. I am also a fairly frequent Yosemite visitor and I wasn't kidding that your original plan to get a campsite reservation in Yosemite wasn't going to work.

Looking at our transit options in San Francisco for Thursday through Sunday, it looks like it would be a good idea for us to get a pair of Clipper Cards. That would let us hop on buses, trains, and ferries without having to calculate the fare each time. The auto-reload feature will dump $20 at a time onto the card as we use it, and the funds don't expire. And if I want that last $15 or so back, they'll even issue a refund less $5 processing. I'm willing to pay $5 to make getting around town easier.

The biggest question is whether there are agencies that *don't* accept Clipper, that I would need to know about. There are *eight* overlapping agencies listed - Dallas barely has one at a time (Fort Worth and Denton's systems don't intertwine much with DART). Are there any holes in the system I should know about before I order the Clipper pass? (I do see that the ferry doesn't take Clipper for the Angel Island trip.)

It looks like the first thing we'll do, Thursday morning after we get off the 6am bus from Santa Barbara, is hop on a ferry for a 13-mile ride across the bay. (Lucky for us, it'll be early rush hour - the ferry isn't set up for casual riders.) The ferry meets a shuttle that goes to the Caltrain station or bus stop. We'll probably want to see if we can leave our bags at the hotel (it'll be to early to check in, probably), and then we'll have the rest of the day to wander around.

Looking at our transit options in San Francisco for Thursday through Sunday, it looks like it would be a good idea for us to get a pair of Clipper Cards. That would let us hop on buses, trains, and ferries without having to calculate the fare each time. The auto-reload feature will dump $20 at a time onto the card as we use it, and the funds don't expire. And if I want that last $15 or so back, they'll even issue a refund less $5 processing. I'm willing to pay $5 to make getting around town easier.

The biggest question is whether there are agencies that *don't* accept Clipper, that I would need to know about. There are *eight* overlapping agencies listed - Dallas barely has one at a time (Fort Worth and Denton's systems don't intertwine much with DART). Are there any holes in the system I should know about before I order the Clipper pass? (I do see that the ferry doesn't take Clipper for the Angel Island trip.)

It looks like the first thing we'll do, Thursday morning after we get off the 6am bus from Santa Barbara, is hop on a ferry for a 13-mile ride across the bay. (Lucky for us, it'll be early rush hour - the ferry isn't set up for casual riders.) The ferry meets a shuttle that goes to the Caltrain station or bus stop. We'll probably want to see if we can leave our bags at the hotel (it'll be to early to check in, probably), and then we'll have the rest of the day to wander around.
I have one and use one semi-regularly. I got mine before the $3 charge for a new card was instituted last year. I also got my wife one before the fee. You're not likely to need to ride a system that doesn't accept it. My main reason for using it is because Caltrain has a 25 cent discount on one-way fares and because one can't buy a ticket on board. The "tag on, tag off" system is fast. Once I forgot my Clipper card and saw the train at the station with one slow guy at the ticket vending machine. I basically gave up. If I had my Clipper card I would have easily been on the train in seconds with a quick "tag on" at the card reader. They're really nice on Golden Gate Ferry, which has a huge discount for using it. There are some small bus companies that don't use Clipper yet, but I doubt you're going to be taking County Connection or Westcat. And if you really need to take such a bus, paying cash isn't the end of the world.

I don't use it for BART because I get discounted tickets purchased at the Amtrak Capitol Corridor cafe cars. It's $8 for a $10 value ticket. You're allowed to buy one for each ride.

I personally don't use Clipper much for MUNI in San Francisco. The only discounts they have are for BART transfers. If you take MUNI within (I think) and hour of exiting BART, you'll get two discounted (by 25 cents) fares for the next 24 hours, but since I use the discounted BART tickets from Capitol Corridor I wouldn't get that discount anyways. I generally prefer to pay cash and not use the electronic system. On MUNI Metro you generally don't have the option to get a transfer/fare receipt unless you pay cash to an operator. At the MUNI Metro stations if you use a Clipper card or a temporary Clipper card (MUNI sells these) you'll get a hard 90 minutes. It's all electronic and human workers can't do anything about it. If I pay cash on a bus, streetcar, or MUNI Metro, it's going to be an old fashioned (I remember transfers like these in the 70s) paper transfer/fare receipt that's hand set by the operator in a screwed-in press. I've always gotten at least two hours, and most of the time they don't feel like rejiggering the thing too often and I've gotten one with as much as 4 hours. Then there's some special event ones I got for $1 that were actually valid all day if they don't tear off any part of the bottom.

transfers.jpg

If you're going to ride MUNI a lot you might want to look into getting a 3-day unlimited pass ($22) or 7-day ($28) that includes cable cars. Cable car fares are already $6, so the 7-day pass makes almost too much sense if you're going to be there for four days.

http://www.sfmta.com/getting-around/transit/fares-passes/visitor-day-passes

Honestly if I were a visitor I wouldn't get a Clipper card. There's a certain learning curve to using one, and various fare inspectors can be really harsh if they find a card that isn't "tagged on". Of course the one thing you might have as a trump card is "I'm just a tourist". Paying cash is actually pretty easy, and you get all this souvenirs like BART tickets (you can put on 5 cents more than you need) and MUNI transfers/tickets.

Now I would note that the MUNI only card ticket does make for a pretty nice souvenir. It only works on MUNI, but utililizes the Clipper reader/encoder technology on a cardboard ticket instead of a credit card sized piece of plastic. I've tried seeing what a BART machine does with one of these things, and I got an error message saying that it didn't recognize the card.

4869579411_cb34ddceda.jpg

It looks like the most we have to lose with the Clipper card is $5, since the $3 fee is waived for online orders.

The cable car 3-day pass would be a great deal, except that we'll be based out of the hotel near SFO - we'll probably spend a day or two hiking around San Mateo county, or just lounging around. Maybe for the day we go into town, we can get the $14 Visitor Passport for cable cars and local buses.

Or, since the cable car takes the Clipper Card too, we might just forego the mental gymnastics and just put it on the card. We would have to ride a lot of transit to make up for the expense and hassle of renting a car - a couple bucks here and there is less than the difference between fillups at gas stations on opposite corners.

Lots of options! Thanks again, and please keep the great info coming!

If you want to hike, Marin County has the best hiking in the Bay Area. My personal favorites are Point Reyes and a loop from Stinson Beach to Mt Tamalpais and back via the Matt Davis Trail. But of course you'll be best served with a car. In San Mateo County it's going to be really hard to get around without a car, unless you stick to areas near Caltrain or BART.

It looks like at least some parts of Marin County are accessible by bus, so it's definitely a possibility!

I ordered a Clipper Card yesterday, and it shows as shipped today (with a card number now assigned).

I was trying to figure out what to do for my wife's card, because the Clipper FAQ says you have to get the second card separately and add it to the account. That would be easy to do in the Bay Area, but a bit trickier here. The online store actually has an option that seems like it might give me another card... but relying on a hackaround isn't something I want to do.

But I found a solution that also takes care of getting a souvenir: the Commemorative 75th Anniversary Golden Gate Bridge Clipper Card, for sale at the goldengate.org site. When it arrives, I'll add it to my existing Clipper account, just as if I'd picked it up at Walgreens in Oakland. It costs $7, which includes the $3 card fee... overall, it's a fair price for me to not have to worry about whether it'll work.

Marin County by bus? Of all the places in the Bay Area, that's about the absolute worst served by public transportation, other than Golden Gate Ferry to San Francisco.

Someone living in San Francisco might be able to get around town with just MUNI and BART. Where I live there is one bus line that has a stop two blocks away that can connect to BART, but then the buses don't run after 7 PM. However, I just can't imagine getting around the more scenic parts of Marin County without a car. I suppose it's possible, but coming back late from a hike and getting stranded is not something worth risking in my opinion. In Marin you'll need to budget a lot of slack. That's a case where renting a car would be highly recommended.

Marin County by bus? Of all the places in the Bay Area, that's about the absolute worst served by public transportation, other than Golden Gate Ferry to San Francisco.
Someone living in San Francisco might be able to get around town with just MUNI and BART. Where I live there is one bus line that has a stop two blocks away that can connect to BART, but then the buses don't run after 7 PM. However, I just can't imagine getting around the more scenic parts of Marin County without a car. I suppose it's possible, but coming back late from a hike and getting stranded is not something worth risking in my opinion. In Marin you'll need to budget a lot of slack. That's a case where renting a car would be highly recommended.
Well, coming from Dallas, we're pretty much used to public transportation that doesn't run when or where you need it. :)

I just discovered something that will probably make the Northern California folks laugh. You see, when I think "beach", I think "swim". Now, I already knew about the rip currents, but when I started seeing things like "be sure you have the proper undergarments to go with your wet suit", I realized there was something missing in my understanding. A little poking around on wunderground.com's ocean temperature chart let me know that I'm not likely to be tempted by the San Francisco surf - current water temperatures are in the low 50s. Yikes! I guess seals have blubber for a reason.

Hopefully, San Diego (well, San Clemente) beaches will be better for swimming, for those of us whose blubber comes from chocolate and donuts!

Southern California beaches are better for swimming, but the water is still somewhat chilly (mid 60s is usual). You get used to it, it is not like 50s in Northern California or the 40s in Washington. The Gulf is warm and the Atlantic coast has the Gulf Stream, so it is relatively warm. The West Coast's main current is coming down from Alaska

Well, coming from Dallas, we're pretty much used to public transportation that doesn't run when or where you need it. :)
I was going to say something about that, since I understand the official state vehicle is the Suburban.

Seriously, you're probably not going to have an enjoyable time either waiting for the bus or missing a bus. There are some buses that stop at some prime hiking spots in Marin, but they run maybe every three hours. And having been to many of these places (especially Point Reyes), you might have difficulty getting a cellular signal if you think maybe you need to call a cab as a last resort. There are many places that are great to drive and/or stop - especially Conzelman Road in the Marin Headlands.

BART is actually rather tolerable. Even at off hours trains run at least every 20 minutes, and they have a system where they time transfers between the two main lines in Oakland.

Southern California beaches are better for swimming, but the water is still somewhat chilly (mid 60s is usual). You get used to it, it is not like 50s in Northern California or the 40s in Washington. The Gulf is warm and the Atlantic coast has the Gulf Stream, so it is relatively warm. The West Coast's main current is coming down from Alaska
Come on down to the Gulf of Mexico where the Water is always Warm 12 Months a Year! ;)

The Marin County service, for such a rural county, is actually pretty good. Don't forget the Muni 76 which runs weekends and holidays only, heading to all of the key points on the immediate north shore of the Golden Gate. That runs hourly and is trackable via Nextbus. The key corridors along 101 and from San Rafael to San Anselmo has decent bus service.

The Marin County service, for such a rural county, is actually pretty good. Don't forget the Muni 76 which runs weekends and holidays only, heading to all of the key points on the immediate north shore of the Golden Gate. That runs hourly and is trackable via Nextbus. The key corridors along 101 and from San Rafael to San Anselmo has decent bus service.
That part of the county isn't really rural though. It's a fairly densely populated suburban area.

They've got two or three lines that go into the more rural parts of the county, and some of the stops are pretty good for the hiking that the OP is looking to do. They might not be that great if one is on a tight schedule. I mentioned a taxi as a last resort, although that might get interesting trying to call for a taxi in West Marin.

Got the Clipper cards by mail, and they're all set up.

Called Amtrak to change the itinerary, to start with San Diego to San Clemente, and then to go from San Clemente (instead of San Diego) to Oakland. The only near-glitch there was that the agent was surprised at the times given for the train-bus transfer in Santa Barbara. Train #785 leaves SNP at 5:21 and arrives SBA at 9:45pm. Ten minutes later, at 9:55, bus #4785 starts the 8-hour trek to OKJ. The agent was worried that there wasn't enough time, but the system assured her it was a guaranteed connection. I suspect if the bus left before the train arrived, it would be pretty empty!

Has anyone taken that overnight bus? I wonder how well we'll be able to sleep -- especially my wife, because I sleep like a rock anywhere. Another possibility would be to stay overnight in Santa Barbara, and catch a bus or train (or both) the next day. But the vacation fund piggybank sprung a leak - and if Motel 6 costs $100 a night, there's no way we're fitting that in.

How do California authorities respond to "unauthorized" beach camping? In Texas, the beaches are public land and you can camp wherever you darn well please. :)

Got the Clipper cards by mail, and they're all set up.
Called Amtrak to change the itinerary, to start with San Diego to San Clemente, and then to go from San Clemente (instead of San Diego) to Oakland. The only near-glitch there was that the agent was surprised at the times given for the train-bus transfer in Santa Barbara. Train #785 leaves SNP at 5:21 and arrives SBA at 9:45pm. Ten minutes later, at 9:55, bus #4785 starts the 8-hour trek to OKJ. The agent was worried that there wasn't enough time, but the system assured her it was a guaranteed connection. I suspect if the bus left before the train arrived, it would be pretty empty!

Has anyone taken that overnight bus? I wonder how well we'll be able to sleep -- especially my wife, because I sleep like a rock anywhere. Another possibility would be to stay overnight in Santa Barbara, and catch a bus or train (or both) the next day. But the vacation fund piggybank sprung a leak - and if Motel 6 costs $100 a night, there's no way we're fitting that in.

How do California authorities respond to "unauthorized" beach camping? In Texas, the beaches are public land and you can camp wherever you darn well please. :)
We have a little something in California called the Coastal Act. All beaches are considered public property and any development along the coast requires a special permit which may be contingent on providing public access to the coastal area. That beaches are public doesn't preclude counties and/or government agencies from banning beach camping. There is no beach camping without a fee and/or reservations in California, and there may be limits. For the most part camping is only allowed in developed campgrounds.

There are plenty of campgrounds in the area, but I'm not sure how you're going to get around.

http://www.santabarbara.com/activities/camping/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back