Business Class on the Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 + 1 seating. Chairs are not cloth but faux leather. For overnight, bring a pillow or coat or something to stuff between the seat and the window, as there is a gap there that can sometimes be uncomfortable while sleeping.

I find it quieter and normally less crowded than coach, and less expensive than a roomette when you need to save money on an overnight.

For me personally, I won’t do coach anymore unless it’s an absolute emergency. But I will do business, and I will do sleeping accommodations.

A lot of people on here complain the business class isn’t a good value. I am not one of those. The most typical situation is a more quiet, generally less hectic and cleaner environment. I find that valuable.

When I sent my daughters to and from college on 24+ hour itineraries on Amtrak Cardinal or Lake Shore Limited, I put them in business class. I didn’t spring for sleepers, but I thought BC was a little better environment for them.

Thanx, I have only done overnite in coach once & that was because of a a misconnection, Never Again, I'm too old for that!!! I thought I might gamble on the Cardinal (BC) to CHI because of the shower in the Met Lounge!!

Last edited:
I like business class on the cardinal. With its 2-1 seating its far more comfortable than the coaches. I used to deadhead often from WAS-HUN and vice verse in business class.

I like business class on the cardinal. With its 2-1 seating its far more comfortable than the coaches. I used to deadhead often from WAS-HUN and vice verse in business class.

In order to "deadhead" don't you actually have to work for Amtrak? Otherwise it's just called commuting :p

In order to "deadhead" don't you actually have to work for Amtrak? Otherwise it's just called commuting :p

Even in PV world we generally just call it a deadhead. Or at least everyone I’ve ever worked with has. The cardinal business class by far is one of the better business class hard products Amtrak offers.

With the 2-1 seating: Is the 2 seats on the right or left side of the car? Also, is the seats toward the front of car or back, cause I know business class got tables sense it's half a lounge car?

With the 2-1 seating: Is the 2 seats on the right or left side of the car? Also, is the seats toward the front of car or back, cause I know business class got tables sense it's half a lounge car?
It depends on which direction the car is oriented. Usually, and I emphasize the word, usually, the single side is on the left side of the car.

The nice thing about not having reserved seating is that if you are wanting to be on a certain side of the train you can pick your seat accordingly.

It depends on which direction the car is oriented. Usually, and I emphasize the word, usually, the single side is on the left side of the car.

The train is programmed to have the seats in the back and the tables up front. These cars interchange with the Albany trains and are pointed in their direction. Pointing it this way s keeps the business class to the rear and avoids a train load of passengers potentially passing through the business section to access to the cafe car. As such, the singles seats are on the left as you face the direction of travel.

It is extremely rare for this car to operate backwards but it is entirely possible. Another possibility is replacing the split club car for a full, NEC business class car if there is a high shop count.

Even in PV world we generally just call it a deadhead. Or at least everyone I’ve ever worked with has. The cardinal business class by far is one of the better business class hard products Amtrak offers.

The Cardinal business class is the same as that on the Northeast Regional 67, the Empire Service trains, the Vermonter, The Ethan Allen, and the Lake Shore Limited, as well as all of the Midwest corridors that have business class. The only difference is that there is no attendant in the cafe area, they just leave out the free beverages for you to take as you wish.

When I rode it, from the hat checks, it didn't seem like anyone was riding it overnight, they were going to Staunton, Clifton Forge, and White Sulphur Springs.

The train is programmed to have the seats in the back and the tables up front. These cars interchange with the Albany trains and are pointed in their direction. Pointing it this way s keeps the business class to the rear and avoids a train load of passengers potentially passing through the business section to access to the cafe car. As such, the singles seats are on the left as you face the direction of travel.

It is extremely rare for this car to operate backwards but it is entirely possible.
According to reports at least two trips in March on the Lake Shore had the business class seats at the rear so a train load of coach passengers did pass through the business class section to access the café car. Not sure how often that happens.

According to reports at least two trips in March on the Lake Shore had the business class seats at the rear so a train load of coach passengers did pass through the business class section to access the café car. Not sure how often that happens.

As this was a discussion regarding the Cardinal, I was using the formula for that train, which interchanges with the Empire Service at NYP.

The LSL doesn't interchange and has a different operating plan since contemporary dining came into play. Unless something has changed, the table end of the split club is against the sleeper. That is "supposed' to be their lounge.

As you stated, the seats are a against the coaches, necessitating coach passengers passing through the business class section to access the car.

So, that SHOULD happen often on the LSL.

The LSL doesn't interchange and has a different operating plan since contemporary dining came into play. Unless something has changed, the table end of the split club is against the sleeper. That is "supposed' to be their lounge.

As you stated, the seats are a against the coaches, necessitating coach passengers passing through the business class section to access the car.

So, that SHOULD happen often on the LSL.
That's unfortunate. So I guess you are saying that the tables are exclusively for sleeper car passengers. First I have heard of that theory.

That's unfortunate. So I guess you are saying that the tables are exclusively for sleeper car passengers. First I have heard of that theory.

I believe the business class passengers can use it too. Same goes for the Cardinal. The table area is supposed to be a lounge for the two amenities.

I'll poke around and see what the reality of the situation is.

The nice thing about not having reserved seating is that if you are wanting to be on a certain side of the train you can pick your seat accordingly.
This. Unless Amtrak can guarantee the orientation of the equipment, there are routes I would pay more for a properly-situated double seat than for a single. The Adirondack ALB-MTR comes to mind (I want the lake side), as does (for example) the Starlight or Surfliner (I want the ocean side).

Back