Business Class is sold out - do seats ever open up?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Jeff

Service Attendant
I'd like to travel the Pennsylvanian from PGH-NWK next week, but I noticed that Business Class on this train is sold out. Does Amtrak ever release seats at the last minute like the airlines?

I know that asking a conductor when you board the train if any upgrades are available to Business Class may be a solution, but only if it is not sold out. Does anybody think that there may be a no-show on the train and I can use the available Business Class seat?

Amtrak does not hold back seats, but given Amtrak liberal refund policy, cancellations are common. I would keep checking right up to the day of travel.

Well its pretty hard to score BC seats for a route like that since there are only 18 seats one thing you can do is see if you can get a BC seat later down the line. Not from NWK but maybe from HAR or somewhere..

I agree that there are no extra BC seats on the train. The only way to add more BC seats would be to add another BC car.

I also agree that you should look at some other points down the line. BC may be sold out from say NWK-PHL, so if you check NYP-PGH it will say "sold out". :( But if you check PHL-PGH, you would find BC seats in this example. :)

Thank you for your responses. It appears that there is a BC seat available from HAR-NWK. Do the coach seats on the Pennsylvanian have AC outlets at them like the BC seats? I'd like to keep my laptop powered up on my trip.

Thank you for your responses. It appears that there is a BC seat available from HAR-NWK. Do the coach seats on the Pennsylvanian have AC outlets at them like the BC seats? I'd like to keep my laptop powered up on my trip.
I'd say you have good odds on getting an outlet in coach. If you manage to get into BC then you will for sure.

I went online yesterday to see if any BC seats opened up, and lo and behold, I was able to book a BC seat from PGH to NWK! Persistence pays off, I guess. :p

Glad to hear it! I am in love with the 2-1 style car they run on that train so I know your going to enjoy the ride.
I was on Train #42 on Tuesday and when I boarded the BC car, I learned why the additional seats opened up. The car still had 2+1 seating, but it held 18 seats rather than the 16 seats normally found on the train. And the seats were cloth rather than leather.

George, our very chatty and friendly car attendant, told me that both the EB and WB trains on April 13 (the day after Easter) were filled to capacity, and that's why we still had the 18-seat cafe/BC car. Even my train had 5 coaches, our cafe/BC car and a deadhead Amfleet II coach.

All regular Club-Dinettes are supposed to have 18 seats. Only the Horizon handicapped Club-Dinettes have fewer seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back