Business Class in the west?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Business Class might or might not be quieter than Coach on the 30X, Lincoln,  or the 35X Wolverine services. It all depends on whether the Club (2-1 seating) is placed on the head or rear, which is strictly "flip a coin".  If on the head, hope you enjoy "listening to the music". Guarantee you I never did.
Add 38X to that.  In Illinois there is a farm road every mile.  At 79 mph that's about every 45 seconds. It seems that by the time the engineer is finished the 4 blasts, he's starting over again.  This is just another way Amtrak disses its premium passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, they didn't. Apparently, if I had complained strenuously enough to the conductor, they'd have given me something out of the cafe, but it wasn't worth the hassle. I brought my own lunch with me anyway. The attendant was zero help, he just sat in his seat looking at his mobile phone, and shrugged when I asked him about it. At least the conductor walked around answering questions – he was very nice about it. Didn't volunteer anything from the cafe, though.

I'm not particularly bent about it. It's the first time I've experienced that kind of poor service on the Surfliner. Usually, it's excellent. Stuff happens.
Sounds like you may have had just a lazy attendant. If something goes wrong, normally they will open up the supply of "delay snack packs" and hand those out.

Add 38X to that.  In Illinois there is a farm road every mile.  At 79 mph that's about every 45 seconds. It seems that by the time the engineer is finished the 4 blasts, he's starting over again.  This is just another way Amtrak disses its premium passengers.
I wouldn't be so harsh. It's just the limitations of Amtrak's equipment. Some of us like the horn, and/or would much rather have horn noise than noise of the phone conversations of others, for example.

Are the seats in BC on the Starlight leather? I'm planning a big trip which includes a ride on the CS from Oakland to LA, a little over twelve hour ride. Is BC worth it? I will be using a USA Rail Pass with a friend. Saver is $53, Value is $66, and Business is $84. So would we pay $31 or $18?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you may have had just a lazy attendant. If something goes wrong, normally they will open up the supply of "delay snack packs" and hand those out.
That was certainly part of the problem. I had my own stuff with me, so I didn't really care and didn't let it mess with what was otherwise an excellent ride. Santa Susana Pass and the Pacific Ocean – who cares about a snack box?  :D

On the CS, Biz Class is somewhat useful, but not all that useful. Seating (which may or may not be all brown leatherette, but only 34510 seems to have non-leatherette seats), bottle of water, $6 voucher (usually useless for overnighting), WiFi (where there's cell phone service) access to Metropolitan lounge in LA and Portland, and non-assigned seats (when Business Class is less than half full, or 30 or fewer seats sold). During the times when Business Class is less than half full, it is useful for overnighting, because more often than not, you'll have two seats for yourself. I have taken advantage of this fact when I used to frequently travel between KFS and SAC (but when 11 is late into KFS, no use for that voucher unless it gets into SAC at 7am or later), and great way to avoid the Boy Scouts crowd during the Scouting season. Travel between KFS and PDX is great as well, due to (usually) lower occupancy, a chance to use the voucher at the Cafe or Diner, and access to the Metropolitan Lounge. Same goes for CS BC travel within CA (LAX-SBA and points north).

Add 38X to that.  In Illinois there is a farm road every mile. 
Most times I have observed 380-383 passing here, The Amfleet or Horizon Business-Cafe is placed rear. However, my observations have decreased ever since the coffee house featuring "tables with a view" shut down Dec '16 after "The Politburo" allowed a Starbucks to set up shop.

I think the Lincoln Service runs BC at the end northbound and at the front SB. I don't think they wye the consist at STL. Also, they probably don't want to deal with removing coach pax going in the first open door they see and sitting in business class.

Last two trips I was on the Eagle for the CHI-STL leg, so not sure about southbound.

The nice thing is if on the Pacific Surfliner and you are BC out of LAX, you get lounge access.  You get a snack box and a beverage free on board usually coffee or soda.  Not sure if beer or wine is included.  No discount in the cafe if you want something more substantial.  

One perk is you have a guaranteed seat in BC, that is a seat unassigned where as in coach you could be standing. 

OP does not ask specifically about the Cascades, but if leaving from King Street Seattle, going business class at the very least lets you avoid waiting in that ridiculous line (that winds through the Great Hall) for seat assignments in coach.  Business class gets seat assignments at the ticket counter where there is a minimal wait, if any.  Also, if traveling alone, there are single seats and overall there are fewer seats and a more relaxed atmosphere in the business car.  Business class add on is pricey vis-a-vis the regular coach fare, but if money is no object (and for the relatively short distance it might not be), I'd recommend business, at least from the endpoints.

Back