Bringing Oxygen tanks on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RRrich

Conductor
Wifey needs oxygen when she sleeps so on our trip STL-ORL we will be bringing a tank or two in a wheeled carrier

Amtrak wants to be notified if pax are bringing oxygen onto the train and we have done that.

My memory is that gas tanks on the train must be removed from wheeled carriers and secured (just like in the lab). Will Amtrak assist us by suppling some sort of tank hold down device?

I've never seen any hold down device on Amtrak, and I have seen passengers with oxygen tanks on Amtrak. I will say that my experiences have all be on Viewliners IIRC, where the tanks can be placed in the overhead luggage racks within the room, so perhaps that's why there is no device on the Viewliner.

But I would think that you'll need to bring along some bungee cords or something like that to help secure the tanks. I'm also not sure that one has to take them out of the wheeled carrier. I'm not sure that Amtrak wants one rolling the rack all around the train, but if it fits in your room I suspect that you'd be allowed to keep them in the rack so long as you protect against it's rolling around uncontrolled.

from amtrak

To better serve you, and to ensure the safety of all passengers, we provide the following guidelines for transporting oxygen on board Amtrak trains.
Notice and Advanced Reservations Required

You must give notice of your need to bring oxygen aboard and make reservations in advance. Please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

We require at least 12 hours' notice in advance of your train's boarding time of your need to bring oxygen aboard.

Medical Necessity Required

Oxygen transport is prohibited on trains except by those passengers who for medical reasons require the use of supplemental oxygen.

Equipment Requirements

Portable oxygen containers must meet the following requirements:

Power Source: Oxygen equipment cannot rely solely on train-provided electrical power. Any device brought on a train must be able to operate a minimum of four hours without available onboard electrical power.

UL or FM Listed: Oxygen equipment must be Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) or Factory Mutual (FM) listed.

Weight Limits: Each tank and its associated equipment may weigh no more than 50 lbs (22.7 kgs) per unit.

Configuration: We permit only one of the following:

o A two-tank system (maximum of 50 lbs [22.7 kgs] per tank), or

o A six-tank system (maximum of 20 lbs [9 kgs] per tank), but only if the tanks can be separated and handled individually

Nice thing about train travel that trumps airlines - allowing O2.
That makes sense and please, pardon my ignorance, but how are peole that need oxygen not able to fly at all?
Many airlines have banned medical oxygen from flights. It's been a couple years since I've flown, so it's possible that it's been recanted, but that was my last impression.

That makes sense and please, pardon my ignorance, but how are peole that need oxygen not able to fly at all?
Many airlines have banned medical oxygen from flights. It's been a couple years since I've flown, so it's possible that it's been recanted, but that was my last impression.
Just an FYI for accuracy, here is what Delta Airlines says:

Onboard Medical Oxygen

We can provide oxygen for you or you can bring your own portable oxygen concentrator. Regardless of which one you choose, you will need to follow these steps:

Complete your travel plans and purchase your ticket.

At least 48 hours prior to travel, have your physician complete the Physician's Statement and fax it to the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) at the number listed on the statement.

Accept a telephone confirmation from UPMC after they have received the completed Physician's Statement.

Bring the completed statement from your doctor to confirm the need for oxygen during flight and the required flow rate.

Delta Provided Oxygen Service

We can provide supplemental medical oxygen for a nonrefundable service fee of $100 per flight with the following restrictions:

Services are for Delta operated flights only. If your Delta ticketed flight is operated by another airline, contact them directly for their policy regarding medical oxygen requests.

Delta Connection® carriers do not provide oxygen service.

We are unable to use aircraft emergency oxygen for medical needs.

We provide oxygen for in-flight use only, not for use at airport locations. You'll need to make your own arrangements if you need oxygen anytime you're not on the aircraft.

Customer-owned Oxygen Units

We accept the following portable oxygen concentrators on Delta, Delta Connection, and the Delta Shuttle®. If your Delta ticketed flight is operated by another airline, contact them directly for their policy regarding medical oxygen requests.

Inogen One

AirSep Lifestyle

AirSep Freestyle

SeQual Eclipse

Respironics EverGo

If you would like to use any of these units, please make note of the following important points:

The AirSep Lifestyle device must have a sticker affixed to the inside cover stating “RTCA/DO—1600 21 category M Compliant” to indicate that it has been modified for air travel. If your AirSep Lifestyle device does not have this sticker, it will not be accepted for use on board.

Portable oxygen concentrators can't be used when seated at an exit row or bulkhead seat.

Portable oxygen concentrators do not count towards your carry-on baggage limit.

There is a $25 nonrefundable medical screening fee for each passenger's itinerary. Itinerary changes will require rescreening and an additional $25.

You will not be able to use other portable oxygen concentrators on board. They will be permitted as carry-on or checked baggage only under the following conditions:

It must be empty and free of pressure.

The battery should be removed and packaged separately or

It should have a recessed battery terminal and the packaged battery terminals should not contact any metal objects.

Personal oxygen systems containing liquid oxygen are not accepted on board any Delta or Delta Connection flights.

Return to top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assistive Devices

If you need an assistive or non-oxygen-generating life-support device, like a respirator, nebulizer, or ventilator, you can bring it in the cabin for use during the flight, as long as it fits in an FAA approved storage location. You'll need to purchase an extra seat at the lowest available fare if you need it for your equipment.

We can't permit wet-cell batteries in the aircraft cabin for safety reasons. We recommend you use a dry-cell battery for your equipment, since electrical outlets are not available on our aircraft.

Oxygen concentrators, other than those we've approved, CPAP, and BiPAP machines can be carried but not operated during the

Just an FYI for accuracy, here is what Delta Airlines says:

Onboard Medical Oxygen

We can provide oxygen for you or you can bring your own portable oxygen concentrator.
Nothice this says oxygen concentrator. Not oxygen tanks. You can not take an O2 tank onto a plane, no matter how small or how many letters you have or from who.

Power Source: Oxygen equipment cannot rely solely on train-provided electrical power. Any device brought on a train must be able to operate a minimum of four hours without available onboard electrical power.
Does this mean Amtrak has carefully studied the long distance routes and concluded that they can guarantee that even if HEP fails on the sole P42 on a train that doesn't run with two locomotives, they can always restore power to the passenger cars within four hours?

Does this mean... they can always restore power to the passenger cars within four hours?
No guarantees. But four hours should be enough time to arrange for Emergency Evacuation by Helicopter. (We would hope that Amtrak carries insurance for such contingencies, so they might not have to cover the costs out-of-pocket.)

Does this mean... they can always restore power to the passenger cars within four hours?
No guarantees. But four hours should be enough time to arrange for Emergency Evacuation by Helicopter. (We would hope that Amtrak carries insurance for such contingencies, so they might not have to cover the costs out-of-pocket.)
or to at least get a tow to a station or grade crossing were the pax can be transferred to ambulance if needed.

from amtrak

To better serve you, and to ensure the safety of all passengers, we provide the following guidelines for transporting oxygen on board Amtrak trains.
Notice and Advanced Reservations Required

You must give notice of your need to bring oxygen aboard and make reservations in advance. Please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

We require at least 12 hours' notice in advance of your train's boarding time of your need to bring oxygen aboard.

Medical Necessity Required

Oxygen transport is prohibited on trains except by those passengers who for medical reasons require the use of supplemental oxygen.

Equipment Requirements

Portable oxygen containers must meet the following requirements:

UL or FM Listed: Oxygen equipment must be Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) or Factory Mutual (FM) listed.

Weight Limits: Each tank and its associated equipment may weigh no more than 50 lbs (22.7 kgs) per unit.

Configuration: We permit only one of the following:

o A two-tank system (maximum of 50 lbs [22.7 kgs] per tank), or

o A six-tank system (maximum of 20 lbs [9 kgs] per tank), but only if the tanks can be separated and handled individually
I don't know a whole lot about oxygen yet, but on my return from Washington last week a lady in lower level had one large oxygen tank. That didn't meet the requirements above, but they allowed her on with a one-tank system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back