Boston South Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retired from full time work in the trades,  I still teach some classes for both apprentice and journeypersons in the electrical industry,  and have run into more than a few that have worked on, or are currently working on projects at Moynihan....

Retired from full time work in the trades,  I still teach some classes for both apprentice and journeypersons in the electrical industry,  and have run into more than a few that have worked on, or are currently working on projects at Moynihan....
Wrong thread?

Will business class passengers have access to acelaclub? I am guessing no?

I do hope I get to see the art works in South Station.

Speaking of stations, is NYP a better station to do connections than WAS?

I looked it up.  Business class only.  My bad.  I was thinking of Chicago’s Legacy Club.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only BC passengers, and only if they are in Boston or Philly. The New York and Washington ClubAcelas don’t accept passes from anyone.
cpotisch - you may want to amend your statement above.  I strongly doubt they would sell any $20 passes at NYP or WAS.   NYP especially is short on floor space, so adding extra passengers is likely not an option, especially if they have to screw around with handling cash and credit cards there.  In the times I've been there, especially late afternoon/early evening, they front desk staff is fairly busy with all the passengers in and out, red caps, etc.

A couple of years ago, when I was only AGR Select status, the 4 free passes I got were good at NYP and WAS.  Unless that has changed, they should accept passes whether the result of making AGR Select status or purchased with points.  The AGR Points version I posted above shows they are good at NYP and WAS as well. 

Only BC passengers, and only if they are in Boston or Philly. The New York and Washington ClubAcelas don’t accept passes from anyone.
cpotisch - you may want to amend your statement above.  I strongly doubt they would sell any $20 passes at NYP or WAS.   NYP especially is short on floor space, so adding extra passengers is likely not an option, especially if they have to screw around with handling cash and credit cards there.  In the times I've been there, especially late afternoon/early evening, they front desk staff is fairly busy with all the passengers in and out, red caps, etc.

A couple of years ago, when I was only AGR Select status, the 4 free passes I got were good at NYP and WAS.  Unless that has changed, they should accept passes whether the result of making AGR Select status or purchased with points.  The AGR Points version I posted above shows they are good at NYP and WAS as well. 
What do you think I said there? “Only if they are in Boston or Philly. The New York and Washington ClubAcelas don’t accept passes from anyone.” I said exactly what you just did, so there isn’t anything to “amend”. :help:

There are passes that get you into WAS and NYP, just not the "you can buy them for $20" type. 5000 pts buys 4 passes, and starting with AGR select (2) CA Access applies higher categories don't need passes, the card allows entry. . Certain United Airlines situations also apply.....

Another nice thing about the AGR passes, is they also cover your immediate family travelling with you.

THose special boston passes only cover you. Each family member needs there own.

And, the AGR passes would cover both ends of your trip as a "day pass", obviously not the boston pass. However, the AGR passes now say single-visit, not day pass, so I'm guessing that policy changed

I finally made it to Boston today and got to spend some time in the newly revamped/redecorated Metropolitan Lounge.

Overall, I'd give it a 6 out of 10 rating.  It looks great!  All new furniture, new carpeting, fully repaired/restored ceiling and its ornamental lighting, and even the restrooms were completely gutted and revamped, too!  The snack/beverage area is also expanded and easy to use.  I think the interior decorator did an excellent job for design, colors, and wonderful mural-sized historical photographs of South Station.

That's the 6.

I took off 3 points for the Wifi!!!  IT STILL SUCKS!!!  My laptop easily connects to WiFi EVERYWHERE on Amtrak that has WiFi EXCEPT in Boston!  After 5 aborted attempts after successful Wifi logon with 'internet access', then getting 'can't find that site', etc, I finally got through!  It took well over 3 minutes to display the Amtrak Wifi Logon screen!  I FINALLY got to my home page more than 5 minutes later.  Today's WiFi responsiveness was probably worse today than my prior trips there as it was 4:30-5:00PM today, and the station was packed.  Only 5-6 in the lounge, though.  It was so bad, I wrote a letter to Amtrak Customer Service condemning the WiFi responsiveness in light of Acela passengers pay a hefty premium for service and have to put up with dismal WiFi in the lounge.  I also suggested they mimic the LAX Metropolitan Lounge WiFi by providing a separate, secured network that requires a password to access, and the password available at the desk.  Using the Open Office word processor program to write my letter to Amtrak, when I went back to the internet, the connection had irrecoverably lost.   I gave up trying to send my email until on my departing train.  On the plus side, my Android cell phone had no problem logging in to the Amtrak website and accessing my outbound reservation, but it stalled completely when I tried to use Firefox to access anything. 

The other negative is the uncomfortable furniture.  I could feel the metal frame of the 'high chair' I was seated at (in 2nd photo below) with it's 1" of padding.  I tried the couch behind me as well  as one of the easy chairs and found them uncomfortable as well....too low, too.

At least it looks pretty, and doesn't have some hideous fabric like the newly redone Philadelphia Metropolitan Lounge.

BOS Metro Lounge-1.jpg

BOS Metro Lounge-3.jpg

BOS Metro Lounge-4.jpg

BOS Metro Lounge-5.jpg

BOS Metro Lounge-6.jpg

BOS Metro Lounge-7.jpg

BOS Metro Lounge-8.jpg

BOS Metro Lounge-9.jpg

The other negative is the uncomfortable furniture.  I could feel the metal frame of the 'high chair' I was seated at (in 2nd photo below) with it's 1" of padding.  I tried the couch behind me as well  as one of the easy chairs and found them uncomfortable as well....too low, too.
As I look at the pictures of those "chairs," my body is already starting to rebel.

At least it looks pretty, and doesn't have some hideous fabric like the newly redone Philadelphia Metropolitan Lounge
They may not have the same fabric but it is my opinion that they certainly look as ugly as the chairs in Philadelphia.

Thanks for the photos. It looks like they did away with the three desk top computer stations that did work reasonably fast.

Thanks for the photos. It looks like they did away with the three desk top computer stations that did work reasonably fast.
Actually, they cut it down to two.  I didn't think anyone would be interested, so I didn't post the picture.  10-15 years ago, not everyone had smart phones or laptop computers so 'public' work stations were nice.   Before I got a laptop about 8-9 years ago, I was a regular user of the work stations in CHI and WAS.  But then, I also go back to the days of the first portable computer, a Compaq Plus, with it's 6" screen, 10 MB HD and 512 K RAM, and 35 pounds!  The lounges only had pay phones back then and I had an internal modem, not a portable one I could put the handset into. 

Here's the photo of the BOS work stations:

BOS Metro Lounge-2.jpg

Seems pretty nice, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the selection of snacks and drinks, but it DEFINITELY looks a bit under-furnished. There is just so much open floor space. I get that that may make it feel a bit more light and airy, but they could definitely put in a bunch more couches, chairs, and tables, without making it feel at all cramped.  :wacko:

So they got rid of that TV section in the middle?  

That was a great spot while waiting for my connection with my kids.  

Still the only Club that seems to always be stocked with snacks

Really like those ceilings.  If We-Fi open probably too many log ons by MBTA riders ?  Maybe suggest a plug in to hard wire net from laptop or I phone ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems pretty nice, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the selection of snacks and drinks, but it DEFINITELY looks a bit under-furnished. There is just so much open floor space. I get that that may make it feel a bit more light and airy, but they could definitely put in a bunch more couches, chairs, and tables, without making it feel at all cramped.  :wacko:
It's actually OVER furnished, in my opinion.  I've been there perhaps 15-20 times in the past 5 years and NEVER seen more than 4-5 passengers any of those times.  Usually it's only 2 or 3 other than myself.  One would think that folks waiting for the last Acela of the day (#2175 at 5:20) there'd be a hoard of passengers up there.  NOPE!  It was only me and TWO other Acela passengers last night!  It's quite the opposite of that at NYP,  PHL and WAS. There's also a steady stream of Amtrak employees and red caps that come to use the rest room and chat with the lady/ladies at the desk...maybe grab a soda or coffee as well.

Back