Boarding at RVM

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Iron

Conductor
Finally a first for me, I will be boarding at RVM after boarding many times at RVR. I'd like to know what the boarding process is at RVM. The line up at RVR or can one hangout on the platform and wait? Also, Parking seems similar to what is now in place at RVR. Has anyone had any issues with parking?

BTW, leaving May 1, returning May 2 to/from BOS on 66/65. I couldn't talk my friend into splurging for Business Class so coach it is. Also another first, hoping to see my first Sprinter in person.

Finally a first for me, I will be boarding at RVM after boarding many times at RVR. I'd like to know what the boarding process is at RVM. The line up at RVR or can one hangout on the platform and wait? Also, Parking seems similar to what is now in place at RVR. Has anyone had any issues with parking?

BTW, leaving May 1, returning May 2 to/from BOS on 66/65. I couldn't talk my friend into splurging for Business Class so coach it is. Also another first, hoping to see my first Sprinter in person.
I can't help you with the boarding and parking info but as a many times rider on "#66 and #67 between WAS and BOS, I suggest you do the upgrade to Biz Class!

You'll have the nice faux Leather 2x1 Seating,curtains on the windows ( the lights @ NYP during the 2am Layover could light the world!) and the cafe car in the same car!

You'll be much more comfortable and so will your friend, it's worth the money, trust us!!!

I can't help you with the boarding and parking info but as a many times rider on "#66 and #67 between WAS and BOS, I suggest you do the upgrade to Biz Class!

You'll have the nice faux Leather 2x1 Seating,curtains on the windows ( the lights @ NYP during the 2am Layover could light the world!) and the cafe car in the same car!

You'll be much more comfortable and so will your friend, it's worth the money, trust us!!!
You're preaching to the choir Boss. I trust you beyond doubt. We booked last minute so Biz Class was $265.00 each way. As is, coach was $153.00 each way. I used AGR points for the return trip. Oddly, I tried to use points both ways but when I tried to check out the Amtrak website said the train was sold out but then I booked not using points and was able to make the reservation. When I started the booking the website said there were only 2 seats left.

Wow! Talk about High Bucket!

I just did a test booking and I got the sane prices on #66 from RVM- BOS showing 4_Biz Class Seats available for May 1 on #66!

You should be able to call AGR and Book this as a One Zone Award since it doesn't matter what the fares are when using Points!

Worth a call for sure,$300+ for 2 Coach seats on a Regional is pricey!

Of course you can book it as an AGR Award, then the AGR Agent can cancel your Paid Rez and do a Refund or e- voucher for future travel!

I just did a test booking and I got the sane prices on #66 from RVM- BOS showing 4_Biz Class Seats available for May 1 on #66!

You should be able to call AGR and Book this as a One Zone Award since it doesn't matter what the fares are when using Points!

Of course you can book it as an AGR Award, then the AGR Agent can cancel your Paid Rez and do a Refund or e- voucher for future travel!
Any chance of asking for an on-board upgrade to BC? First thing I'm going to do upon boarding is show my buddy BC to see what we're missing.

Any chance of asking for an on-board upgrade to BC? First thing I'm going to do upon boarding is show my buddy BC to see what we're missing.
You'd have to pay the current bucket, IF Available and IF the Conductor wanted to do it!?? Why not call AGR and check it out if you have the points!

You'd have to pay the current bucket, IF Available and IF the Conductor wanted to do it!?? Why not call AGR and check it out if you have the points!
I cant talk my buddy into upgrading and dont want to leave him hanging. I'm taking one for the team. Also want to save my points to take my wife and daughter on a FC Acela trip, which would be another Amtrak first. I appreciate the info though.

Nothing wrong with riding Acela FC when you use points! Smiles

Your idea to show your buddy the Biz Class Car is a good one, maybe next time he'll want to upgrade when its not so High Bucket!

Let us know how the trip goes!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if there's a shortage, but I hate to bust yall's bubbles. I just worked 67 Monday night arriving Tuesday morning, and 66 last night arriving this morning, and...Full cafe and full business class car. And I just checked, tonight's 67 (so tomorrow's 66) is planned to use the same consist I had on my return trip. I'm assuming it's because we probably only have two split cafes for Boston, and they're both still being used on 448/449 to supplement the lack of sleepers until the track work at ALB is finished.

No waiting on the platform at RVM. Most folks sit on the benches upstairs until close to the time of boarding. Once the train has stopped at the station the rent-a-cop lets you out onto the platform. There are some nice, albeit small, displays from the past to check out while waiting.

I don't know if there's a shortage, but I hate to bust yall's bubbles. I just worked 67 Monday night arriving Tuesday morning, and 66 last night arriving this morning, and...Full cafe and full business class car. And I just checked, tonight's 67 (so tomorrow's 66) is planned to use the same consist I had on my return trip. I'm assuming it's because we probably only have two split cafes for Boston, and they're both still being used on 448/449 to supplement the lack of sleepers until the track work at ALB is finished.
Bubbles not burst at all. Glad to hear this because I wont feel as bad knowing the 2-1 BC car was so close yet so far away. When you say "full cafe" does that mean its the type that has booths on both sides of the service area?

No waiting on the platform at RVM. Most folks sit on the benches upstairs until close to the time of boarding. Once the train has stopped at the station the rent-a-cop lets you out onto the platform. There are some nice, albeit small, displays from the past to check out while waiting.
Thanks. So that means I'll be waiting at one of the nearby bars getting primed for the trip. I'll do some nyquil shooters to help me sleep.

Bubbles not burst at all. Glad to hear this because I wont feel as bad knowing the 2-1 BC car was so close yet so far away. When you say "full cafe" does that mean its the type that has booths on both sides of the service area?
That would be correct. The standard cafe with tables on both sides, and in that particular car one side has the overhead luggage racks, and the other doesn't. And for business class, a standard car with 60 seats, though it looks like they still have it entered in to Arrow as only having 18 business class seats available. So, each person almost gets an entire row to themselves!

The new baggage car will be first, then business class, cafe, two coaches, and the quiet car at the rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
No problemo. There are certainly plenty of places to get 'primed' for the trip nearby. If you are going for a 'rail' theme - either railroad or bar - The Southern Railway Taphouse might be a good place to start, and if you do right, you won't need no stinkin' Nyquil shooters to get some ZZZZs! :D

No problemo. There are certainly plenty of places to get 'primed' for the trip nearby. If you are going for a 'rail' theme - either railroad or bar - The Southern Railway Taphouse might be a good place to start, and if you do right, you won't need no stinkin' Nyquil shooters to get some ZZZZs! :D
Good intel. I'll give it a try and do it right.

Southern Railway Taphouse is about a 5-7 minute walk to RVM. At the station, you can sit on the balcony and almost see the Triple Crossing. No, you can't hang out on the platform. It's a kindergarten walk. Much closer bars would be around 17th St. If you see any old timers asking for change on Main St., please be giving. That might be any of us some day.

Southern Railway Taphouse is about a 5-7 minute walk to RVM. At the station, you can sit on the balcony and almost see the Triple Crossing. No, you can't hang out on the platform. It's a kindergarten walk. Much closer bars would be around 17th St. If you see any old timers asking for change on Main St., please be giving. That might be any of us some day.
I may just brown bag it with the old timers and share that way. I know this is a difficult question to answer but do you have any idea how many pax might be boarding at RVM?

I know this is a difficult question to answer but do you have any idea how many pax might be boarding at RVM?
Once the train departs NPN, I can get an idea of exactly what the numbers are, though I really shouldn't share. But the evening I worked I'd say we got 10 on at RVM, and 35 at RVR. We only peaked around 120 passengers around WAS, but keep in mind that train was mid-week, and this is essentially a weekend tonight, and as you've already seen the train will be a little busier than usual.

I know this is a difficult question to answer but do you have any idea how many pax might be boarding at RVM?
Once the train departs NPN, I can get an idea of exactly what the numbers are, though I really shouldn't share. But the evening I worked I'd say we got 10 on at RVM, and 35 at RVR. We only peaked around 120 passengers around WAS, but keep in mind that train was mid-week, and this is essentially a weekend tonight, and as you've already seen the train will be a little busier than usual.
Dont do anything that will get you in trouble. I appreciate the info you have already provided. Just idle curiosity on my part.

Dont do anything that will get you in trouble. I appreciate the info you have already provided. Just idle curiosity on my part.
I sent you a giant PM with some tips of what to do with the long layovers in WAS and NYP, by the way.

I appreciate everyones assistance, especially Triley's. The trip was great, on time performance was flawless albeit used a bit more of the schedule padding going north. We had AEM-7 #921 both ways and heading up the air pressure dropped and the train sat just outside of Stamford. The crew had to set some handbrakes. The scanner chatter sounded bad but the pressure finally got to where it needed to be and off we went. I was a bit concerned when I saw the 921 on the return trip, other that dropping HEP often for 30 seconds or so (both ways) all systems were go.

My riding partner and I shared a seat pair going up, train was a bit crowded, but had seat pairs to ourselves in the quiet car on the return trip. Going to BOS the cafe attendant had to be found by the Conductor around 5:30 AM when I went for coffee. She was asleep in the BC card. The cafe attendant on the return trip slept in one of the cafe booths so it was not hard to find her.

My riding companion went to MIT and his daughter was running in a track met there so I got a firsthand tour of the MIT campus. Walked a ton all day, took the T when not walking and had a great time...........but will not settle for less that BC next go round.

Glad the trip went smooth and the sleeping cafe attendants is funny!

Hope you get the nice 2x1 Seating Cafe/Biz Car when you make the next trip, only way to roll on #66/#67! ( till the Viewliner Sleeper returns!!!)

I'm not sure if this question is related to the quiet car or the operating crew. Going up we opted not to use the quiet car as my travel companion and I had not seen each other for awhile so we wanted to talk and catch up. We used the quiet car on the return. The northbound crews announced every stop, checked tickets at every crew change ( 4 times I believe) and treated the overnight time period as any daylight Regional run. On return, just the opposite, tickets were only checked in BOS and WAS, no PA chatter, Conductor would check on de-training pax based on seat checks and wake them if necessary. Needless to say the sleep experience was much better on the return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back