Best Way to Annapolis?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahZ

Quality Control
According to Google, it appears Annapolis is not served by Amtrak, MARC, or any type of rail, really.

Would I be better off taking Amtrak to Baltimore or DC? It looks like Baltimore is a bit closer.

According to Google, it appears Annapolis is not served by Amtrak, MARC, or any type of rail, really.

Would I be better off taking Amtrak to Baltimore or DC? It looks like Baltimore is a bit closer.
Its not easy to get from either one without a car but Greyhound does run from Baltimore to Annapolis as well as Washington but there are not many buses.
An alternate is to get off @ the BWI Amtrak/MARC Station and take the Airport Super Shuttle to Annapolis!( Cabs and Limos are expensive!)

Its a fairly easy drive on I#97 from Baltimore or BWI if you rent a car! If you want to drive from WAS (/terrible traffic most times out to the Beltway!)take 50/301 after crossing the Beltway, 95/495!

Perhaps one of our Washington/ Baltimore area members like Ryan or MARC Rider has a better idea??

Based on what I know Id rent a car and drive from Baltimore or BWI!

Last edited by a moderator:

There used to be a commuter bus from BWI to Annapolis, but that ended several years ago. There's a commuter bus from DC, though not directly from Union Station as far as I can tell: http://mta.maryland.gov/sites/default/files/220CommuterLineForWeb.pdf. For what it's worth, Annapolis appears to have a small public transit system around town.

Join the Navy! :lol:

Or call Ryan's Transport. He'll pick you up at Odenton. :D

Try google maps with the transit option. WAS to Annapolis 1hr 13 min with a 8 min walk to the route 220 bus stop in DC. Bwi and BAL are longer.
That was next on my list. :) I love the transit option. I guess I'm just surprised they don't have a rail connection of some kind.

There is a local MTA Maryland bus, #14, that serves Annapolis.

1. Take Amtrak to BAL
  2. Walk the 2 blocks or so to Mt Royal Station (or take light rail shuttle train to Camden Yards)
  3. Light Rail Yellow Line to Cromwell
  4. Transfer to Annapolis-bound 14 bus (schedule)
As for fares, a one way on the light rail and the bus is $1.60, with no free transfer between the two (so $3.20). A day pass is $3.50 if you plan to take any more trips that day.

Beware that the buses from WAS are peak hour peak direction only commuter services.

I'm surprised that there isn't better bus service (limited stops, consistent all-day schedules) between Washington-Annapolis and Baltimore-Annapolis.

ETA: I wonder if a Thruway service connecting Annapolis to WAS, BWI, or BAL would work well, whether a dedicated Amtrak service or an open service similar to the BayRunner Shuttle connecting to BWI airport and rail station.

All Capitols and large cities share this problem Sarah but it' s where the action is and the jobs are!

The best of both worlds is a good job in a pleasant medium sized affordable city with good weather that is close to a Major City you like to visit!( if any such place exists? LOL)

All Capitols and large cities share this problem Sarah but it' s where the action is and the jobs are!

The best of both worlds is a good job in a pleasant medium sized affordable city with good weather that is close to a Major City you like to visit!( if any such place exists? LOL)
Oh, we've already decided we're moving to Chicago. The only question is "when" at this point.

Best Way to Annapolis?
Become a lobbyist.
Possibly--a rail lobbyist!

Annapolis has been proposed for an alternatives analysis for the future of the NEC. Yup, they want the engineers to whip out their pencils laptops and crunch the numbers on running new HSR trunk line via Annapolis, MD between DC and New Jersey.

I don't know if it will ever actually get an engineering study. Sorry, don't have links but somebody here probably does. It was an amazing wishlist for turning NEC into truly high speed rail, and it was an official planning document but many steps before they'd pay an engineer to seriously look into it.

Try google maps with the transit option. WAS to Annapolis 1hr 13 min with a 8 min walk to the route 220 bus stop in DC. Bwi and BAL are longer.
Note that the route 230 commuter bus does not run on the weekends or after 7:30 in the evening.

There is a route 14 bus from the Cromwell light rail stop. But you would have to either change light rail trains at Mt. Royal or take a 5-10 minute uphill (not too steep) walk from BAL.

Google MTA Maryland for more details.

The Baltimore-Washington-Annapolis triangle really lacks decent transit access.

I'm surprised nobody has stated the most obvious and easiest way to get there via transit...Take Metro/MARC/Amtrak to the New Carrollton station (NCR), then catch the Young Transportation Service (YTS) public bus that runs between New Carrollton and downtown Annapolis. It runs 7 days a week at decent headways, and the ride takes 45 mins. The fare is $7.

http://ytsonline.net/schedule.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back