Best Rolling Stock Manufacturers

Discussion in 'Rail Advocacy Forum' started by Andrew, May 13, 2017.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. May 13, 2017 #1

Andrew

A

Andrew

Lead Service Attendant

Who really is the best best rolling stock manufacturer when it comes to making both high-speed and passenger trains?

Where does Alstom and Kawasaki Rail Car fit in?

2. May 13, 2017 #2

Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter AU Supporter

No simple answer.

Company buy each other out, change of names, rebrand there products.

Case in point Siemens, start with electric control system, then start build bodies around there electrical boxes. At one point they bought a Romania outfit and now claim a history since 23 B.C. of building rail cars. A bit off maybe.

But the general story is fact, or maybe ALT-Fact....

Simple answer to OP is not available. Project can blow up and destroy your brand. One project your the best, next one people treat you as you have the plague.

3. May 16, 2017 #3

VentureForth

VentureForth

VentureForth

Conductor

I like Kinki Sharyo. They have made some of my favorite EMU rolling stock both in the US and in Japan.

cpotisch likes this.
  4. May 16, 2017 #4

PerRock

PerRock

PerRock

Conductor

Siemens seems to have been getting a lot of contracts lately across the globe (including the Chargers & Sprinters here); their, arguably, main competitor, Alstom has been struggling a lot lately. Alstom even had to sell off some of their other business ventures a few years back. Both Nippon Shayro and CAF seem to be a lot better over in Europe & Asia then they're doing here in the states. I haven't heard much from Bombardier lately about new trains they're doing. I believe they're working on the new London Underground cars (apparently still in the bidding process). The other big player overseas is Hitachi, who are making a number of new trains for the UK as well as operations elsewhere.

But that's just the few I can think of their news off the top of my head. There are a ton of manufacturers out there so it's pretty difficult to pick a best.

peter

5. May 16, 2017 #5

Maglev

Maglev

Maglev

OBS Chief

I think Pullman-Standard did a pretty good job with the first Superliners. Too bad all the builder's plates are stolen.

6. May 16, 2017 #6

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

Over and above its substantial lock on the French High Speed program, Alstom has the entire new passenger fleet of the Indian Railways based on license manufacture of an Alstom product - the LHB passenger cars. If you ask me that is a rather enormous engagement. They are also selling followed by license manufacturing of extremely high powered freight locomotives to IR. IR's generic workhorse passenger and freight electrics are based on a Bombardier design AC drive, and new diesels are all EMD.

Siemens is definitely doing well, but Alstom is doing nowhere as badly as one gets the impression reading some of the stuff here.

7. May 18, 2017 #7

Andrew

A

Andrew

Lead Service Attendant

My favorite two rolling stock manufacturers are Alstom and Kawasaki Rail Car.

8. May 18, 2017 #8

keelhauled

k

keelhauled

OBS Chief

Similarly, the South African fleet renewal is an Alstom design via an Alstom-led joint venture.