Bedtime musings.......people oblivious to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak as a scant few stops at Newark, DE, home of the Fightin' Blue Hens. I think they're strategically timed for the weekend get-a-aways/returns. I'm not surprised that there aren't more scheduled stops since WIL (Wilmington) is just up the tracks (about a 10 minute ride on the train).

One I just noticed while planning my annual trip to CA...why don't the Surfliners stop at Laguna Niguel? Metrolink does. It's much closer to my friend's house than the Irvine station, but the Metrolink doesn't get me to LAX in time to catch the northbound Starlight.

Amtrak did at one time have a couple of trains a day stop at Princeton Junction. The train I took on my first Amtrak ride back in 1984 stopped there. Don't know when or why they ceased stopping there but they did in the past.

Same story in Spokane. Many people there aren't even aware Amtrak stops in Spokane. A good part of that is due to the arrival/departure times of the EB at Spokane; about the only ones awake at those hours are cabbies, cops, and hookers, not necessarily in that order. :lol: . Recently the Spokane indoor football league team was renamed the Empire and its logo railroad themed; a lot of people thought the name and logo were stupid and had no clue there was such a train as the Empire Builder now or in the past, much less that it stops in Spokane. They had no clue how much railroads contributed to the entire existence

of Spokane.
Just saw this on FB

10426787_10207191062949263_6456571075598484003_n.jpg

Same story in Spokane. Many people there aren't even aware Amtrak stops in Spokane. A good part of that is due to the arrival/departure times of the EB at Spokane; about the only ones awake at those hours are cabbies, cops, and hookers, not necessarily in that order. :lol: . Recently the Spokane indoor football league team was renamed the Empire and its logo railroad themed; a lot of people thought the name and logo were stupid and had no clue there was such a train as the Empire Builder now or in the past, much less that it stops in Spokane. They had no clue how much railroads contributed to the entire existence

of Spokane.
Just saw this on FB
10426787_10207191062949263_6456571075598484003_n.jpg
<like!>

I'd be willing to bet there aren't that many people in the Spokane area, especially my age or younger, who know about James J. Hill, his great involvement in establishing rail lines, nor even why Hillyard is named Hillyard. Today no trace of the huge rail yards or locomotive shops are left in Hillyard. All that is left that even remotely suggests railroad is a BNSF branch line, the remnants of the former GN line that was part of Hill's empire. Oh, and last week Spokane won their first game 60-51. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back