Bedroom Sleepers on the Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hello! I am so glad to find this forum today as I am hoping to confirm some information given to me by Amtrak.

I am taking the Cardinal train from NYP to CIN on 12/26 and have decided to splurge and get a bedroom.

In the new Fall/Winter schedule books, these bedrooms are described as being like the Viewliner bedrooms (single-car like on the Lakeshore Limited) yet a few years ago when I took this same train, it was on the old Superliner cars (the bi-level.)

I spoke with a very nice agent at Amtrak who told me that a few years ago they converted all of the sleeper cars on this train to Viewliners. She also told me, however, that they do not have the TV screens or music.

Can anyone here please confirm:

1. That the sleeper cars on the Cardinal are indeed Viewliners?

2. That there is are no TV screens or music?

She also mentioned that the sleeping car passengers now make a "reservation" for meals in the dining car to guarantee a better dining experience. Just curious if anyone found that to work.

Quite frankly, if the train isn't busy, I like to be able to linger a bit over my coffee and not feel rushed...but these are different times.

Thanks!

-- Jackie

Welcome to the forum! :)

I was just on the Cardinal Friday. Yes they are Viewliners. A few years ago, the Cardinal did have Superliner equipment, but then due to numerous derailments, they needed that equipment, so the Cardinal was converted to single level cars - and was also extended from WAS to NYP.

There are no TV's or music aboard. That was discontinued on ALL routes.

The Cardinal uses a combined car that is the diner and cafe. When I was on it last week, they asked ALL the sleeping car passengers if they wanted a meal, and if so to follow the server. (This car only seats IIRC 26 passengers for meals at one time.)

1. Yes, the Cardinal was switched to Viewliners/Amfleets when the Auto Train and Capitol Limited derailed and with the lack of money back then, they couldn't fixem'. So yes the Cardinal runs with Viewliners

2. The tvs were removed a few years ago, and I don't think the music works, either.

I have never been a sleeping car passenger, but I think the diner attendant comes through the sleeper to take reservations.

I don't think they'll let you stay in the dining section, but the car is half diner/ half lounge, so you can have your meal and move over to the lounge section.

Enjoy your trip! :)

cpamtfan-Peter

Thanks to you both for answering so quickly. I have to buy my tickets by Wednesday so this helps tremendously!

As for no TV or music, well that is OK. The TV rarely worked as I recalled, but I did like the music. Well, I will pack a book(s) or talk to my husband or find a new buddy to chat with! I don't own an Ipod, but maybe Santa will bring me one for this trip!

Time passes fast anyway...

FYI as times have changed:

The reason I am taking the train is because it is actually *CHEAPER* to take the train *WITH* the bedroom than to purchase two coach seats on Delta to Cincinnati from Boston (which is where I am originally coming from.)

So we will take the train on Christmas between Boston and New York City, spend the night in Gotham, and then take the Cardinal the next day...Even with the hotel room, still cheaper than flying to Cincy!

Coming back, we are taking the Cardinal as far as Washington and then hopping on an overnight train to Boston sleeping in Business Class. I am hoping that will be a bit quieter than riding in coach so late at night, particularly if the train is late.

On a related note: I was reading in another post that there is talk of rail between the cities in Ohio...that would be a Godsend to me! I used to take the Lakeshore Limited to Chicago and then try to take the Cardinal down to Cincinnati or if I couldn't get the Amtrak schedule to work with my schedule, I would take the Greyhound (which I would find very scary these days.)

Seems like there ought to be a way to get more service in the middle part of America without going through Chicago for everything....

Not that I mind Chicago. I have found plenty of things to do, buy or see while waiting on Amtrak! :)

Thanks again! :)

As for no TV or music, well that is OK. The TV rarely worked as I recalled, but I did like the music. Well, I will pack a book(s) or talk to my husband or find a new buddy to chat with! I don't own an Ipod, but maybe Santa will bring me one for this trip!
So we will take the train on Christmas between Boston and New York City, spend the night in Gotham, and then take the Cardinal the next day...Even with the hotel room, still cheaper than flying to Cincy!
It's a good thing you're not leaving on Christmas Eve! Santa could have had a serious problem landing his Reindeers and Sled on the roof of a moving train to deliver your ipod to you! :lol:

Safe and happy trip!

I was just on the Cardinal Friday. Yes they are Viewliners. A few years ago, the Cardinal did have Superliner equipment, but then due to numerous derailments, they needed that equipment, so the Cardinal was converted to single level cars - and was also extended from WAS to NYP.

The Cardinal uses a combined car that is the diner and cafe. When I was on it last week, they asked ALL the sleeping car passengers if they wanted a meal, and if so to follow the server. (This car only seats IIRC 26 passengers for meals at one time.)

I was on the train also and strangely was seated with Traveler or his traveling companion at every meal??? (being on the same train was pure coincidence)

considering the Cardinal has a MAX sleeping car capacity with every bed used of 31 the odds of needing more than 26 seats at meal time is very slim. (24 in roomettes, 4 in bedrooms, 3 in room H)

Bob

I'm pretty sure there were TVs physically present in one of the Viewliners I rode in May 2008 (in the roomettes on one side of the car but not the other), but they apparently were not functional.

It's a good thing you're not leaving on Christmas Eve! Santa could have had a serious problem landing his Reindeers and Sled on the roof of a moving train to deliver your ipod to you! :lol:

Safe and happy trip!
Hey there is a reason that the dining cars all have a chimney, or at least a modicum thereof.

considering the Cardinal has a MAX sleeping car capacity with every bed used of 31 the odds of needing more than 26 seats at meal time is very slim. (24 in roomettes, 4 in bedrooms, 3 in room H)
Actually Amtrak's design calls for a max capacity of 30 in a Viewliner sleeper. While they will allow three in the H room, that is not considered the normal, standard capacity.

I'm pretty sure there were TVs physically present in one of the Viewliners I rode in May 2008 (in the roomettes on one side of the car but not the other), but they apparently were not functional.
It's possible that all the cars haven't made it through the rotation to have the monitors removed, or perhaps Amtrak is reconsidering the actual removal of the monitors since it also seems to disable the PA system in the car.

Regardless the movies are gone.

Actually Amtrak's design calls for a max capacity of 30 in a Viewliner sleeper. While they will allow three in the H room, that is not considered the normal, standard capacity.

right, but I don't care how big that room is or the lower bunk is wide, I'm not even going to think about 3 people in that room. and for a wheelchair user it has to be one of the poorest designs I have ever seen, with the bed down had to go into the toilet room to get car door open and back out!!!

and the only electric outlet is between the doors on the door frame!!! had to unplug stuff before you opened the door. thank goodness for duct tape and extension cords.!

Bob

right, but I don't care how big that room is or the lower bunk is wide, I'm not even going to think about 3 people in that room. and for a wheelchair user it has to be one of the poorest designs I have ever seen, with the bed down had to go into the toilet room to get car door open and back out!!!

and the only electric outlet is between the doors on the door frame!!! had to unplug stuff before you opened the door. thank goodness for duct tape and extension cords.!

Bob
Ok, now I'm confused. :unsure: You were the one who counted 3 people in the H room. I was saying that Amtrak doesn't count on 3 in that room, only two. Therefore the capacity of the Viewliner sleeper is rated at 30, not 31 as you suggested.

I was on the train also and strangely was seated with Traveler or his traveling companion at every meal??? (being on the same train was pure coincidence)

Bob
Cardinal has way less than that in the single Viewliner. The coach attendants and LSA, and SA sleep there too. I think it only has 8 revenue roomettes, plus the bedrooms. 24 people in total.

Bob
Cardinal has way less than that in the single Viewliner. The coach attendants and LSA, and SA sleep there too. I think it only has 8 revenue roomettes, plus the bedrooms. 24 people in total.

it is true I know but I just was talking absolutes, on the train I rode last week the Sleeping car attendant had one, the food service car (what every you want to call it) staff had one or maybe two,. I know I was in mine single so I would be surprised if there were ever more than 20-24 in a car. however one room coming back (long story) had a woman and two small children in a single bedroom, so the rules are apparently not hard and fast. can't imagine them making the woman have two rooms for her small children, although one had already claimed the suitcase alcove above the hall as their sleeping compartment????

Bob

It's possible that all the cars haven't made it through the rotation to have the monitors removed, or perhaps Amtrak is reconsidering the actual removal of the monitors since it also seems to disable the PA system in the car.

I've seen coaches on the Crescent which still have monitors every ten feet or so mounted on the overhead racks on both sides of the car. Those Amfleets look like they haven't been refurbished since the '80s!

I've seen coaches on the Crescent which still have monitors every ten feet or so mounted on the overhead racks on both sides of the car. Those Amfleets look like they haven't been refurbished since the '80s!
They haven't been refurbished if they still have those overhead monitors.

However, please don't confuse the Amfleet II coaches with the Viewliners which is what we had been discussing. Not saying that we can't talk about the AMF II's and their old screens, just don't want people to be confused about things.

Thanks to you both for answering so quickly. I have to buy my tickets by Wednesday so this helps tremendously!

Time passes fast anyway...

FYI as times have changed:

The reason I am taking the train is because it is actually *CHEAPER* to take the train *WITH* the bedroom than to purchase two coach seats on Delta to Cincinnati from Boston (which is where I am originally coming from.)

Coming back, we are taking the Cardinal as far as Washington and then hopping on an overnight train to Boston sleeping in Business Class. I am hoping that will be a bit quieter than riding in coach so late at night, particularly if the train is late.

On a related note: I was reading in another post that there is talk of rail between the cities in Ohio...that would be a Godsend to me! I used to take the Lakeshore Limited to Chicago and then try to take the Cardinal down to Cincinnati or if I couldn't get the Amtrak schedule to work with my schedule, I would take the Greyhound (which I would find very scary these days.)

Seems like there ought to be a way to get more service in the middle part of America without going through Chicago for everything....

Not that I mind Chicago. I have found plenty of things to do, buy or see while waiting on Amtrak! :)

Thanks again! :)
"Flying to Cincinnati, that a riot." Cincy's one of the most expensive places to fly in the whole country it will cost you at least $1,000 per person for coach to get to the North East. Thats reason #3 why I take Amtrak. #2 is the food, and #1 is the view. You will love the New River Gorge on your way home, its simply stunning. The CIN station is also nice its kind of a shadow of its former self because it sits in the conner (almost like broom closet) of Union Terminal but, you can still walk around in its beautiful rotunda (Union Terminal is also home to 2 great museums and an Ominimax theater it's a fun place to go when your in Cincy).

One must also realise that the Cincinnati airport isn't even in Ohio....

When my husband and I rode it last year, we liked the roomettes a lot better than we liked the bedrooms. Sure, the bedroom had a shower, but we liked riding in the roomette much more.

I too like the roomettes better.

For one thing, most times, they're cheaper! :p

Although bedrooms give you more room to move around in and a toilet in the room (I don't count the Viewliner toilet), the beds are fine in the roomette. (In fact, with 2 in the room, I found the roomette has more room with the beds made than an "A" bedroom on a Superliner!) And besides, you may not even be in the room that much.

When my husband and I rode it last year, we liked the roomettes a lot better than we liked the bedrooms. Sure, the bedroom had a shower, but we liked riding in the roomette much more.
May I ask why?

We thought the roomettes were much more conducive for a lot of things. It was easier to see the scenery (although it was only out one side of the train- trade off it well worth it). Also, we didn't care much for the bed arrangement of the bedroom. The roomette bed arrangement makes the trip a lot neater because you can see out of the windows while you are laying in bed. We tried both the roomette and bedroom and both agreed that we liked the roomette much better.

May I ask why?

We thought the roomettes were much more conducive for a lot of things. It was easier to see the scenery (although it was only out one side of the train- trade off it well worth it). Also, we didn't care much for the bed arrangement of the bedroom. The roomette bed arrangement makes the trip a lot neater because you can see out of the windows while you are laying in bed. We tried both the roomette and bedroom and both agreed that we liked the roomette much better.
Why can't you see out of the window while lying in a bedroom bed? :unsure:

Just turn the mattress around if the attendant puts your head nearest the door.

I too like the roomettes better.
For one thing, most times, they're cheaper! :p

Although bedrooms give you more room to move around in and a toilet in the room (I don't count the Viewliner toilet), the beds are fine in the roomette. (In fact, with 2 in the room, I found the roomette has more room with the beds made than an "A" bedroom on a Superliner!) And besides, you may not even be in the room that much.
You're contradicting yourself. You say "Although bedrooms give you room to move around in..." then you say "...the roomette has more room with the beds made..." When a bed is "made", to me, it's not being used (upper is up and the lower is stowed). But, even with the beds "in use" (if that's what you mean), the lower bed in a bedroom is MUCH bigger than any in a roomette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back