Bakersfield to LA Nixed by UP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakerBx

Train Attendant
UP nixes night train plan

The latest effort to restore Amtrak passenger trains to the Tehachapis has stalled in frustration after Union Pacific Railroad refused to even consider the idea, according to a January 2 report in the Bakersfield Californian.

Caltrans recently asked Union Pacific to study the possibility of running a single Amtrak train nightly between Bakersfield and Los Angeles over the 150-mile route over the Tehachapi Mountains. Union Pacific owns the tracks, and Caltrans operates Amtrak train routes in California.

The trip would have been an extension of Amtrak’s current San Joaquin route, which runs between Oakland and Bakersfield. Caltrans requested a capacity study to determine if a single passenger train could squeeze among the freight traffic on the route, and to determine what track improvements would be needed, such as new sidings that would let trains pass each other.

“We told them that it was basically a nonstarter as far as we’re concerned,” said Union Pacific spokesman John Bromley. “It just doesn’t make sense when you compare how quickly you can make the drive.”

Passenger trains have not operated between Bakersfield and Los Angeles since 1971, when Amtrak took over passenger rail service nationwide. Passenger rail travel heading south dead-ends in Bakersfield, and Amtrak passengers seeking to go farther must now board buses to reach the next active rail route.

A Caltrans study last year identified the Bakersfield-Los Angeles route as one of the two most significant rail “connectivity gaps” in Southern California.

“It’s surprising that they (Caltrans) asked,” said Alan Miller, executive director of Train Riders Association of California, or TRAC, a 1,500-member passenger advocacy group based in Sacramento.

“It has been a while since they’ve moved forward with action like this. I think they recognize the need. It’s just disappointing that they haven’t followed up yet.”

Amtrak has the authority under federal law to demand access to private freight tracks for passenger trains, but because Amtrak and Caltrans share control of passenger trains in California, it’s unclear if either agency has authority to demand that UP complete the capacity study, and neither has stepped forward to do that.

“That route is actually subsidized by the state of California, so it’s really a California issue as to whether they want to see that route expanded on to L.A.,” said Dennis Kuklis, director of planning for Amtrak West.

Caltrans spokesman John Robin Witt said neither agency has the right to demand the study.

“Rail is expanding in California, and it makes sense to look at every possible route. So we’re simply asking, is it possible now?” said Witt, a former Bakersfield resident.

The proposal called for a single nightly passenger train leaving Bakersfield at around midnight and arriving at Union Station in Los Angeles around 7:00 a.m. Barring freight traffic, the trip would take five hours, but the proposal included two hours of extra time in case of delays.

Miller said the route, though long, would appeal to casual and business travelers who want to avoid Southern California’s always-crowded highways. They could sleep aboard the train and arrive in L.A. just as the city awakens, he said.

The Tehachapi route carries 38 long freight trains a day operated by both Union Pacific and Burlington Northern & Santa Fe, said Bromley. It’s a slow, tortuous, single-track route that simply can’t handle any more traffic, especially passenger trains, he said.

“It’s just a bad mix and it’s worse on a mountain grade where there’s so much congestion,” Bromley said.

Others aren’t buying that complaint, including Rick Norris, a Palmdale city councilman and vice chairman of the San Joaquin Valley Rail Committee, a Caltrans advisory panel made up of city and county officials. A capacity study would reveal, in fact, whether present traffic loads could accommodate one short passenger train. It also would identify new sidings or other improvements needed to relieve strain on the main track, which the state would fund.

“Union Pacific has not been cooperative at this point,” Norris said.

Norris’ committee will take up the issue again when it meets January 10 in Los Angeles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They need to fork up the $2 billion to do it right and build a high speed rail line between Bakersfield and Los Angeles Union Station (well, Santa Clarita and then the tracks already exist). 7 hours on the train between Bakersfield and L.A. is ridiculous - a 2 hour ride would be very reasonable and would undoubtedly at least double ridership on the San Joaquin line. The line could later be used when and if the CHSR commission ever begins high speed rail. We need the line NOW, not an antique roundabout route over the Tehachapis. If I had the time I would take the 12 hour Starlight ride from Martinez to L.A. every time. Unfortunately I don't have the time (as most people don't) and I prefer the shortest route possible - the San Joaquin + short bus ride. Lets get real - we need and will eventually get a high speed rail line through the Grapevine. I would rather see it sooner than later.

AmtrakerBx said:
“That route is actually subsidized by the state of California, so it’s really a California issue as to whether they want to see that route expanded on to L.A.,” said Dennis Kuklis, director of planning for Amtrak West.
That's weird....Amtrak West doesn't exist anymore...or at least not to my knowledge...one of the first things Gunn cut...the three divisions.

The missing link -- Bakersfield to Santa Clarita -- needs to be addressed soon. This is a major stumbling block in California's rail passenger network.

The Amtrak Thruway bus service between Los Angeles and Bakersfield cannot last forever and will continue to drive potential passengers away.

tubaallen said:
AmtrakerBx said:
That's weird....Amtrak West doesn't exist anymore...or at least not to my knowledge...one of the first things Gunn cut...the three divisions.
Amtrak West still exists' my taxes pay for it.

Are you sure that's not "Amtrak California"....state taxes you're talking about? Or just "Amtrak" the company whole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back