Baggage shipping with Amtrak points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

So  I'm trying to send my spare empty suitcase from Chicago to my family at NYC for their travels from Penn Station. I have some 500 or so AGR points, but not sure if Amtrak would let me use them send this bag there.

Any ideas of how to send the bag there for free? 

I  know Amtrak has some sort of Freight delivery, but there's no costs mentioned online, and I'd hate to pay money just to ship an empty bag to NYC. 

I would really be grateful if you guys had any ideas, or could help out in any way if you're heading to NYC or brooklyn- could give you some AGR points if that helps

Thanks,

Tanzen

So you're asking whether you can use points to ship via Amtrak Express? Unfortunately, no. And 500 AGR points is only worth about $14.50 anyway.

Amtrak Express costs $67 for anything up to 100 pounds, which is obviously pretty pricey for one empty bag.

Thanks for the info Cpotisch! yeah i agree that's a lot of money to ship an empty bag! :) ...

Wonder if anyone on the forum would be willing to take a companion or Upgrade coupon to help take the empty bag to Penn....I doubt it 

Wonder if anyone on the forum would be willing to take a companion or Upgrade coupon to help take the empty bag to Penn....I doubt it 
I think you should probably save yourself the time and just mail it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it almost certainly wouldn't be worth the hassle. USPS Retail Ground for a 6 lb package with dimensions of 22 x 18 x 8 is around $15 from Chicago to NYC. It'll take about a week to get there, but it's the option with the least amount of hassle if time allows. You shouldn't need to put it in a box, per this reddit thread, and minimum you'd need to put a tag on it with the address. You could wrap it in plastic wrap and then put the label on the plastic wrap as well. I'd stick the ship to address inside the suitcase as well in case the tag gets ripped off.

Especially for an empty suitcase, I'd avoid UPS and go with the post office, aka USPS.

My experience seems to indicate that UPS charges based on 'expected weight per cubic inch of package' or weight, whichever costs more.  In other words, shipping a bed pillow in a 24"x12"x6" box would cost about the same as sending 10 pounds (maybe 15?) in the same box.  I don't think that the post office or Fedex charges that way.  They go essentially on a weight-only basis, unless it's an oddball shape like a broom or in one instance I had, a 36"x24"x3" poster/photo collage.  2.75" of the 3" was extra sheets of cardboard to prevent its being bent.  And they'll deliver it to their door!  UPS, USPS, and FEDEX all have cost-calculators online that can be used to figure out the final shipping cost.

Regardless, I'd expect the cost of shipping an empty suitcase from CHI to NYP via any carrier to be in the $20 range, plus whatever you spend in packing materials.  As a former Fedex Ground 'quality assurance' worker (aka, damaged package repair/return), you'll have to ensure that the suitcase wouldn't be crushed (particularly in the middle) by 200 pounds of other packages that may be on top of it in the bottom of a trailer as it bounces down the highway.  

In the end, I think it would be faster and easier to simply use Paypal and send them the money and let  them go to Walmart or wherever and buy a suitcase of their choosing.  Saves lots of hassles and they get something they want instead of a gaudy green and purple suitcase from 30 years ago...

In the end, I think it would be faster and easier to simply use Paypal and send them the money and let  them go to Walmart or wherever and buy a suitcase of their choosing.  Saves lots of hassles and they get something they want instead of a gaudy green and purple suitcase from 30 years ago...
We don’t have Walmart in NYC (thankfully), and I’m sure any decent suitcase would cost well above the $20 it would take to ship his. So I just don’t think buying one is what makes sense here.

If you look to make sure it doesn't have any bug issues, thrift stores can be good resources for used luggage. That might be cheaper than shipping it; I know a friend that does this on some trips - he'll be bringing more stuff one direction than the other, so he'll just buy a cheap suitcase at a thrift store, use it for the one-way trip, and then donate it. It winds up being cheaper than paying an extra $25 checked baggage fee.

Especially for an empty suitcase, I'd avoid UPS and go with the post office, aka USPS.

My experience seems to indicate that UPS charges based on 'expected weight per cubic inch of package' or weight, whichever costs more.  In other words, shipping a bed pillow in a 24"x12"x6" box would cost about the same as sending 10 pounds (maybe 15?) in the same box.  I don't think that the post office or Fedex charges that way.
I know FedEx charges based on dimensional weight, at least on their express services. It's possible that their ground department doesn't, though.

USPS also uses dimensional weight, though only for Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express. Ground (so USPS Retail Ground or Parcel Select) doesn't have that applied, though there is an oversize charge if length + girth is over 84 inches (I think.)

Back