Baggage Safety/Security on LD Trains (SWC4 and CZ5)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
We are leaving for four nights on the train, SWC4 LAX-CHI and then CZ5 CHI-EMY plus one night in Chicago and two nights in San Francisco. Normally I travel solo and only two nights but this time there will be two of us. I am thinking of us taking like a school back pack for "room stuff" and each having an "airline overhead bin friendly" roller bag, which I am thinking keeping those downstairs. These bags have miles so the locks no longer work or have enough of a zipper left to even put a lock on. Will they be safe? I have heard horror stories of things being added to your case so you are caught with them and not the other. I think this is more of a problem on SSLTD being against the border. Any comments or suggestions?

I don't worry about having stuff stolen. That's what insurance is for. However I do worry about the possibility that my stowed luggage may be used to transport something illicit. I'm not aware of any insurance that protects you from folks placing drugs or other illegal items in your luggage in order to avoid their own detection and prosecution. I have no idea how I would handle being caught with somebody else's contraband. You'd be arrested and placed in jail, you'd probably lose your job, your friends and family would freak out, and you'd be facing an extremely expensive trial. Even if the best case scenario where you eventually win your freedom you'd still lose whatever savings you had built up, your job would be long gone, and you'd have to win back everyone's trust again. It may be an unlikely situation but the devastation would be so complete that it concerns me nonetheless. I would prefer that Amtrak offered secure storage lockers for luggage since it often sits far out of view for hours or days at a time.

I have absolutely no problem storing luggage on the lower rack at all. And as far as what DA says, I'd be more concerned with someone placing contraband in my coat pocket or purse while walking down the street or putting something in my car in the paking lot of (say) the mall than someone putting something in your bag on a train!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not heard of any reports of situations like you have mentioned, but If your concerned that someone might add or remove something from your baggage while on-board your sleeper, I would check it. All of your arrival/departures stations have checked baggage. I would still get some straps to secure the bag if they have inoperable zippers and there is a possibllity thay would come open. You wouldn't want your "unmentionalbles" falling out all over the train platform. :(

Just my personal opinion. But If possible I would keep your bags in your room if you can. If you are in coach or they are too big for the room then I would check them through in the baggage car. Never leave anything at your seat or room of value like cell phones, laptops, GPS, cameras. Just carry them with you when you leave the area. Stealing is not rampant on these trains, but why temp anyone. And you cannot lock your room door when you leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back