Baggage Limits In Sleeper Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking a trip in October from Wisconsin to Montana on the Empire Builder booked in a roomette both ways. I've taken this trip before with a carry on size bag and backpack. However due to the longer trip, I'd like to bring a larger piece of luggage on board. My station in Wisconsin does not check baggage. I realize this piece of luggage does not fit the "carry on baggage" size limits, but will I be allowed to place this on the lower luggage rack without issues? I'd still like to have my carry on suitcase, laptop bag and the backpack.

Any thoughts,

Thanks...

I don't think you'll have any problems. I've taken a bigger-than-carry-on sized bag and stuck it on the lower luggage rack in a sleeper. I've also seen other people's luggage that is this size on that rack. There could be a meticulous Amtrak employee, I suppose, but I've never experienced someone being picky about luggage.

I am taking a trip in October from Wisconsin to Montana on the Empire Builder booked in a roomette both ways. I've taken this trip before with a carry on size bag and backpack. However due to the longer trip, I'd like to bring a larger piece of luggage on board. My station in Wisconsin does not check baggage. I realize this piece of luggage does not fit the "carry on baggage" size limits, but will I be allowed to place this on the lower luggage rack without issues? I'd still like to have my carry on suitcase, laptop bag and the backpack.

Any thoughts,

Thanks...
It's unlikely to be a problem especially if you can carry all four items on board in one go.

If the lower-level luggage racks are already full (unlikely) when you board, you can always lug a bag or two to your roomette and stow on the upper bunk. (You didn't say, but sounds like you will be alone in the roomette)

From all I've read here, and my own experience, Amtrak isn't strict about carry-on sizes. If you can carry it on, no problem. Especially at stations with no checked baggage.

my experience is if you can carry it you can take it,,, and I have never seen a full luggage rack,, although NWC's suggestion for the upper bunk is terribly sensible if you are alone,,,,,

I have seen the lower luggage rack full, but usually only towards the end of a trip and not the beginning. I would classify Wisconsin as the earlier part of that trip, so I'd anticipate no problem either.

Just out of curiosity if you board at a station with no checked baggage, can you later check your baggage at a longer station stop that does has checked baggage, freeing up your worry of having all your stuff piled on top of you or buried/vulnerable in the public rack? Of course you'd have to be going to a destination that also has checked baggage.

Usually no, as the checked baggage should be there 30 minutes before arrival of the train.

Actually some of the stations I went through in May require 45 minutes early to check bags. I've never had problems carrying a large suitcase plus my carry on onto the sleeping car. I simply ask or inform the SCA when boarding that the large suitcase is to remain downstairs. No problem, some SCA's even volunteer to bring my carry on upstairs for me. That is one of the things I expect when I tip $10 per night to the SCA near the end of my trip.

One time when I was coming back from a shopping trip in New York. We filled the Viewliner vestibule three layers deep with suitcases and bags. No issue

One time when I was coming back from a shopping trip in New York. We filled the Viewliner vestibule three layers deep with suitcases and bags. No issue
My experience has been a bit different. While the SA and/or Conductor might allow some baggage to be staged in the vestibule, they seem to expect it to be quickly put elsewhere (in a roomette, bedroom, or the baggage car at the first such stop). I have never seen anything left in the Viewliner's vestibule, stay there for any length of time.

I believe they want to keep that small vestibule clear, for passengers to come onboard, leave, or go between cars (like to the diner for meals).

Yup, I don't think baggage will be allowed to sit in the vestibule unless it's to be detrained at the next station. Assuming the thing has wheels, another solution would be to check the other sleepers for space in the luggage rack. Inconceivable to me that, with more than one sleeper, they'd all be full. Another would be to check with the SCA for some options/help -- like maybe one of the nearby roomettes is going to be empty for a while and maybe you can store it there until some space opens up in the luggage rack.Or in the ADA bedroom on first floor, which is often not in use at all, except as a storage area for sleeper supplies and refuse.

Just thoughts.

Well trained: You have some good ideas but Viewliners don't have luggage racks or downstairs rooms to store stuff in.

There is actually lots of space in which to store stuff in the Rommettes and Bedrooms on a Viewliner compared to a Superliner Sleeper. I've even seen Luggage carried in the Shower when the train was full!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you'll have any problems. I've taken a bigger-than-carry-on sized bag and stuck it on the lower luggage rack in a sleeper. I've also seen other people's luggage that is this size on that rack. There could be a meticulous Amtrak employee, I suppose, but I've never experienced someone being picky about luggage.
Actually, I did run into a picky attendant on the CS that initially didn't allow me to put my (quite) large duffel bag on the Sleeper racks because she said it messed up her ability to stack luggage ( she only wanted hard sided luggage). We reached some form of compromise( don't remember exact details) but only after much discussion.

Since the OP is traveling on the EB, the issue of baggage storage in a Viewliner vestibule is probably a moot point. Usually the issue with baggage is more related to weight than size. If you keep the weight of your bag under the 50 lbs limit most SCA's will not have a problem helping you lift the bag onboard. And if there is absolutely no room in the storage bins, most have allowed a bag to sit in the doorway area for a while until some space opens up, or as has been noted, if the H room or Family Room are not being utilized they have stored a bag in there on a temporary basis.

I am traveling alone and do use the upper bunk as my in room luggage rack for carryon bags. Thanks for your help and suggestions.....Always a wealth of knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back