Baggage cars on end of Illinois Service trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Expanded baggage service has signifigant costs beyond the baggage cars. Baggage handling equipment, baggage rooms in stations, and in some locations added personell or longer hours for existing persons. On state supported routes, the state has to kick in to pay for it. It would probably be fairly popular, but financially unlikely to happen in the near term. In some areas, the political gains from offering expanded bike service might be enough of an inducement to see it happen, time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Amtrak got all those new Viewliner 2 baggage cars, why don't they institute baggage service on the Illini and Saluki? It'll be great for all the college students traveling with baggage and opens up space for more unboxed bikes in addition to meeting any axle count requirements.
Does Amtrak actually have a surplus of baggage cars?

If the state of IL wants baggage service on those trains, it will be the one leading that effort - *IF* the equipment exists, and IF the state pays Amtrak operate it, then I don't doubt Amtrak would do so.

There are definitely more viewliner baggage cars than there were heritage baggage cars for at least a few years prior to the viewliner baggages being delivered

I just find it odd that Amtrak is not running a V-II baggage car on the Capitol Limited with the winter consist, but is still running a Heritage baggage on the City of New Orleans. Could this be because the train is being turned at Jackson instead of New Orleans, or some issue with the CN?

I just find it odd that Amtrak is not running a V-II baggage car on the Capitol Limited with the winter consist, but is still running a Heritage baggage on the City of New Orleans. Could this be because the train is being turned at Jackson instead of New Orleans, or some issue with the CN?
The CONO was being turned at Jackson because of the trestle fire between there and New Orleans.

Kinda off topic, but has anyone else noticed they are using superliners on the Illini/Saluki?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back