Auto Train Vehicles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am looking into taking the Amtrak Auto Train from DC to FL in November. When I am looking at the size requirements for oversized vehicles, I am within spec except according to the manufacturer's vehicle specs, I am exceeding the width by 1.5 inches. My car is at 85.5" wide, and the Amtrak site says 84" width max. I have a hummer h3, which is a pretty standard size SUV as its narrower and shorter than most pickup trucks and vans.

Has anyone been able to get on the Auto Train with this vehicle? Also is anyone aware of what the measurements are going by? For instance, perhaps if I fold my mirrors in I will be within spec, but does anyone know for sure about these?

Thanks a lot!

Josh

Josh,

While I didn't pay attention to what model Hummer it was, I did just this past June see a Hummer come off the Auto Train in Sanford. I will say that it looked like it barely fit, not so much in terms of the auto carrier, but in terms of the loading ramps. They actually had one employee guiding the other person trying to drive it off. As in there was no room for any margin of error coming down the ramp.

That said, I do know that they don't count mirrors in the overall dimension of things. The keys are, does it fit in the carrier, does it fit on the ramp, and can the employee open the door to get out of the car after driving it into the carrier. Mirrors don't interfere with that latter criterion.

What I highly recommend you do however is to call them. Don't call the general Amtrak number as they won't know anything but the normal info in the computer. Call 1-877-754-7495 which is the special AT phone number. That number is staffed by people who know the AT the best and its limitations. Follow their advice, because that's what you'll encounter when you show up at the loading station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pray tell, how much do you still owe on that gas guzzler?

Sorry, I can't resist making fun of Hummers.

Anyway, call Amtrak, have a nice conversation with Julie (or a real person if you have to).

Thanks for the info folks! I will call them to find out. Also going to take some measurements of my own to see where I stand as far as width from tire to tire for ramp purposes as AlanB mentioned.

I don't owe anything as far as a loan is concerned, as its leased. Mileage is ok, last trip from NH to PA I averaged 18.2 mpg. So well within the same range of many other SUV's out there.

Thanks for the info folks! I will call them to find out.
Just make sure that you use the special AT phone number that I provided, don't call Julie at the regular Amtrak number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mileage is ok, last trip from NH to PA I averaged 18.2 mpg. So well within the same range of many other SUV's out there.
Don't count me into that. :D

My SUV gets around 35mpg 'round town.

AlanB - Thanks for the USEFUL post!! I measured the car to be at 79" outside edge to outside edge of rear tires. I also called Amtrak using the number you provided. The lady was great and said it should be no problem, as it says in her notes "For instance an H1, would not fit, nor would dually's".

This number did get me to the AT specific line, and she also gave me the number to the Lorton yard (703-690-3618), and said call around 9 am directly, to see what they say since they load them on the trains they will know for sure.

Thanks again for the help

AlanB - Thanks for the USEFUL post!! I measured the car to be at 79" outside edge to outside edge of rear tires. I also called Amtrak using the number you provided. The lady was great and said it should be no problem, as it says in her notes "For instance an H1, would not fit, nor would dually's".
This number did get me to the AT specific line, and she also gave me the number to the Lorton yard (703-690-3618), and said call around 9 am directly, to see what they say since they load them on the trains they will know for sure.

i take it you have a H2 or H3 model. h3 is the baby bear h2 is the mama bear and H1 is the daddy bear. wheres Goldie locks. :D

Mileage is ok, last trip from NH to PA I averaged 18.2 mpg. So well within the same range of many other SUV's out there.

Holy Crow, that's some milage! What do you feed the gerbils that power your SUV; ultra-power high energy food? You can't be using a gas engine! :blink:

Holy Crow, that's some milage! What do you feed the gerbils that power your SUV; ultra-power high energy food? You can't be using a gas engine! :blink:
My first Car a dodge custom royal only got 8-10, but gas was only a quarter, how time/inflation flies. :huh:

Aloha

IMHO, it is a Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner/Mazda Tribute Hybrid. They have been around for 4 years now, and get that kind of mileage even with 4x4.

Thanks for the info folks! I will call them to find out. Also going to take some measurements of my own to see where I stand as far as width from tire to tire for ramp purposes as AlanB mentioned.
I don't owe anything as far as a loan is concerned, as its leased. Mileage is ok, last trip from NH to PA I averaged 18.2 mpg. So well within the same range of many other SUV's out there.
Driving what you want is your choice, but personally, I do have a problem with you calling "18.2" mpg not too bad. A while back, I had a Bentley T-type and it got better mileage than that. And this was a rusty heap in need of an engine rebuild- I swear, its seeped oil from places oil shouldn't exist. (I'm one of those nuts who played around with a bunch of old-but-interesting clunkers before deciding I was kidding myself, and I needed a real car). 18.2 MPG is abominable. My real car, a '95 Mercedes E-class just averaged 38 mpg from the Jersey Shore to Palm Beach County Florida via the Auto Train. Didn't refill it until I was almost back to Lorton- a total of 815 miles on one tank.

A more useful comment would be that the measurement you gave is not the cars width. Its the cars track. The width can be up to a foot wider, easily. The way I'd measure it is between the edges of the two mirrors, than subtract the mirrors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back