Auto Train Sale

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it's "a sign that the AT's financial success is weakening", but I expect it's more a sign that September is low season and Amtrak has seats that would otherwise (and might anyway) be vacant.

FWIW, that advertised fare is a whopping $16 (or about 17%) below the Saver Fare. <yawn>

Last edited by a moderator:
School is starting for most of the East, it is way to early for snow birds. It's still warm here and too hot there. It is a soft month for Florida travel. Look at the roomette and bedroom prices, what does that say about the loading?

The demographics of the the Autotrain audience is probably changing. While there will always be travelers on this route,the large core group of "snowbirds" that take the train may be thinning. The "snowbirds" that compose an important A/T passenger group are mainly retirees that are affected by fixed income levels, relocation/downsizing, health/mobility issues, and even end of life. I do not see this demographic growing. While the train will continue; in the future, I cannot see it being as busy as it once was. This will probably put downward pressure on ticket pricing. Time will tell.

The demographics of the the Autotrain audience is probably changing. While there will always be travelers on this route,the large core group of "snowbirds" that take the train may be thinning. The "snowbirds" that compose an important A/T passenger group are mainly retirees that are affected by fixed income levels, relocation/downsizing, health/mobility issues, and even end of life.
I agree with this. Additionally, future generations may not have the income to support two houses, particularly in an area that is extremely expensive.

Back