Atlantic City/Cape May NJ

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by Twin Star Rocket, Nov 1, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Tags:
  1. Nov 1, 2019 #1

Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Service Attendant

Two weeks ago I tagged along with my wife as she attended a conference in Atlantic City.
    Since I had a rental car I drove to Cape May one day. Excellent beachcombing near the
    lighthouse. You can watch the car ferry to Delaware come and go.
    I found the visitor center which is housed in a relocated railroad depot. There are photos of other
    depots in the display case. The staff person said there were once three railroads which served
    Cape May. Which ones were they?
    There are still tracks in place but long since out of service.
    On another day I rode NJT from Atlantic City to Philly (30th St Station) and return. Fast running on most of that line--- 79 mph? Arrow III cars are used on that line. I did see some of the newer bi-level cars in service on other NJT lines.

2. Nov 1, 2019 #2

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

Arrow III cars on the Atlantic City line? Are you sure?

3. Nov 1, 2019 #3

Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Service Attendant

Perhaps I'm mistaken! Could it be the new bi-level cars are replacing Arrow III cars?
    I might have misread a NJT ad at a station.

4. Nov 3, 2019 #4

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

Arrow IIIs are EMUs which are highly unlikely to ever show up on a non-electrified route like Atlantic City. Maybe you meant the single level Comet cars?

5. Nov 4, 2019 #5

Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Twin Star Rocket

Service Attendant

"Regularly scheduled service on the Atlantic City Line consists mainly of rebuilt ex-Penn Central EMD GP40PH-2A and 2B diesel locomotives pushing or pulling primarily four-car Comet IV trains. When Amtrak had regular service on this line, power was provided by now-retired EMD F40PH locomotives, with 2 or 3 Amfleet cars and a Metroliner cab control car on the opposite end to provide push-pull operation. All trains run with the locomotive on the west end and the cab control car on the east end to facilitate boarding and reduce noise and exhaust issues at the Atlantic City Terminal."

I misunderstood a poster at one of the NJT stations concerning Arrow III cars.