Article-Which freight railroads got flunking grades from Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdrail7

Engineer
I'm sure all of the freight railroads are shaking in their boots (from laughter no doubt) over Amtrak's quarterly report card on OTP. So, who flunked? The answer surprised me!

Which freight railroads got flunking grades from Amtrak

By Eric Anderson Updated 4:50 pm, Friday, March 23, 2018

Please allow a brief fair use quote:

Amtrak based its grades on the minutes of delay its trains faced per 10,000 train miles.

Norfolk Southern and Canadian National both received failing grades. Norfolk Southern hosts the Lake Shore Limited, the daily train from Chicago to New York and Boston via Albany, on its tracks between Cleveland Chicago.

Canadian National hosts the Adirondack service between Rouses Point and Montreal. Virtually all of the CN trackage is in Canada."We continuously work with Amtrak to provide reliable passenger service," CN spokesman Patrick Waldron said Friday.

CSX, which hosts the Lake Shore Limited from the Capital Region to Cleveland, as well as the Maple Leaf and Niagara Falls services, received a C."CSX hosts more passenger trains on its network than any other Class I railroad in the eastern United States, and we have a long history of working well with our passenger rail partners," a spokeswoman said. "CSX takes Amtrak's performance very seriously and provides Amtrak trains preference over freight trains in accordance with federal law.

"While the issue of on-time performance is more complex than a simple letter grade implies, we are committed to working with Amtrak to meet our contractual obligations to them, and to support passenger rail as a safe, efficient transportation alternative in the U.S.," she said.

Additionally, here is another article from Progressive Railroading. Amtrak grades host freight railroads' performance

Please allow a brief "fair use" quote:

Amtrak's first Host Railroad Report Card gives letter grades to six Class Is based on delays per 10,000 train miles. Specifically, that is defined as the number of minutes of host-responsible delay, divided by the number of Amtrak train miles operated over that host, times 10,000.

The first report card covers January through December 2017. Amtrak gave Canadian Pacific a grade of A for performance, BNSF Railway Co. a B+, Union Pacific Railroad a B-, CSX a C, and Norfolk Southern Railway and CN an F.
I can't believe CSX managed a "C". I demand a recount!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is another Amtrak issued report card.

CSX sees Amtrak grade jump a bit — but there's still room for improvement

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2019/03/08/csx-sees-amtrak-grade-jump-a-bit-but-theres-still.html

Amtrak trains were delayed 1.2 million minutes - or more than two years - by freight railroads last year, despite a federal law that gives Amtrak priority on tracks across the country. Delays from freight carriers are the single largest cause of Amtrak's delays, according to Amtrak.

Among these railroads, Jacksonville-based CSX Corp. (Nasdaq: CSX) was given a B-, meaning passengers on Amtrak routes through CSX tracks are often late. The grade puts CSX in the middle of the pack of six freight carriers and ahead of Norfolk Southern (NYSE: NSC), its East Coast competitor, which got an F. The grade is also an improvement from the C Amtrak gave CSX last year.
It seems CP received an "A"

https://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Amtrak-report-card-highlights-delays-caused-by-13674424.php

The Adirondack between New York City and Montreal via Albany met Amtrak's on-time definition just 70 percent of the time, earning an F grade. Much of the route not handled by Amtrak is handled by Canadian Pacific, which had the best grade — an A — among the six major freight railroads for the second year in a row. Canadian National handles a portion of the route in Quebec.

Over the past 18 years, my wife and myself have taken Amtrak trips regularly.  We can recall only a few times that our train arrived on time. Two trips  on the Cardinal  one the CL (both to CHI and  three on the A/T.  One long cross country trip  SEA-CHI had the longest delay getting into CHI at 3 AM and that required an unexpected stay over. On a positive note the NEC trips almost always seem to arrive on time and if we get into CHI an hour late that doesn't bother us.  If we want to get on the subject of smooth trips, CSX track seems the worse while NS and BNSF track seem better.

If we want to get on the subject of smooth trips, CSX track seems the worse while NS and BNSF track seem better.
I think the problem is the Crescent and the Chicago territory have taken heavy delays and that is NS territory.  It impacts a lot of trains.

NS has been an unmitigated disaster OTP-wise for over a year now. I don’t think they ever fully recovered in their OTP fiasco after the auto-dispatching system that Mr. Moorman force fed on NS water level route.

Back