Article: Travel Insurance and Amtrak

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by FrensicPic, Nov 10, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Nov 10, 2019 #1

FrensicPic

FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Conductor

2. Nov 10, 2019 #2

railiner

railiner

railiner

Conductor

When traveling Amtrak, I do not purchase the travel insurance. My credit card, already includes some coverage, and, Amtrak usually takes responsibility for covering missed 'guaranteed' connections, expenses. In addition, Amtrak has been very generous to me, in compensating for very late arrivals, even without the insurance...

3. Nov 10, 2019 #3

Dakota 400

D

Dakota 400

Conductor

I do that as well. Usually, the coverage from an insurance company different from the carrier is more comprehensive than what the carrier offers. I have had to use my insurance from time to time. If I had not had insurance, the money I would have lost would have negatively impacted my ability to take more trips.

crescent-zephyr likes this.
  4. Nov 10, 2019 #4

Anderson

A

Anderson

Conductor

I usually fall back on the coverage through my main travel credit card. The coverage there is greater ($500 vs $150; $150 wouldn't cover a hotel for a blown connection to the Cardinal, for example) and I don't have to pay anything "extra" for it.

5. Nov 11, 2019 #5

anumberone

anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief AU Supporter

Does Amtrack provide their own travel insurance policy, or Does it come from a separate entity.

6. Nov 11, 2019 #6

FrensicPic

FrensicPic

FrensicPic

Conductor

AMTRAK insurance is provided by Allianz.

7. Nov 12, 2019 #7

anumberone

anumberone

anumberone

OBS Chief AU Supporter

I was able to collect on a claim with Allianz due to cancelling a flight Reservation to Europe this year. It's sort of iffy as to the terms. Anything less than an unexpected illness without preexisting conditions to yourself or travelling partner may create problems with a refund.

8. Nov 12, 2019 #8

PVD

P

PVD

Conductor AU Supporter

Travel insurance is a very individual matter. Each of us has different circumstances. Some coverage is afforded by certain credit cards. Do you have insurance coverage away from home? Health care in foreign countries is often not covered. I'm pretty luck, my coverage is worldwide, so I only have to consider possible medivac costs. Risk versus ability to absorb losses is a big issue. It is very easy and tempting to click yes on a pre packaged offering, but it may be much better to "customize" coverage, some of the companies that sell packages with carriers, also sell separately.