Arrival times/ Local time?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mercedeslove

Lead Service Attendant
Ok I have a question which is probably going to make me sound like a moron. However, I am going to LA VIA the Builder in March. The train leaving Portland gets into LA at 9pm. Is that LA time, or my time here in the windy city? Same goes for the train getting into Portland is that Portland time or Chicago time?

Thanks

All times are reported based upon what time zone the station is located in. So you would be departing Chicago on Central time and arrive into Portland on Pacific time. During the journey you will have to set your watch ahead by two hours, once when you cross into the Mountain time zone and then once again when you cross into the Pacific time zone.

The crews are usually pretty good about announcing the time zone changes, although many times the announcement will be to set your watch ahead before you go to sleep, since the crossing will occur in the middle of the night.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I had told my cousin the right time when she picks me up at the station in LA.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I had told my cousin the right time when she picks me up at the station in LA.
Since the train may well run late, I would highly advise her to either check the status of the train via the internet or by calling 1-800-872-7245. You'll be on train #11.

Ok I have a question which is probably going to make me sound like a moron. However, I am going to LA VIA the Builder in March. The train leaving Portland gets into LA at 9pm. Is that LA time, or my time here in the windy city? Same goes for the train getting into Portland is that Portland time or Chicago time?
Thanks
When in March is a question. We go from standard time to daylight savings time on March 9. Mercedeslove, if you're on the train from Portland during the time change there might adjustments. AlanB is right about scheduled times being local. Once I was riding Train 11, Coast Starlight, and your train to L.A., during a time change. The train sat for an hour at San Jose to compensate for the time change. Why that point was chosen I don't know, since the change had occurred hours, and several stops, earlier. Probably operational considerations. Just make sure that your time is synchronized with whoever is picking you up.

Thanks
When in March is a question. We go from standard time to daylight savings time on March 9. Mercedeslove, if you're on the train from Portland during the time change there might adjustments. AlanB is right about scheduled times being local. Once I was riding Train 11, Coast Starlight, and your train to L.A., during a time change. The train sat for an hour at San Jose to compensate for the time change. Why that point was chosen I don't know, since the change had occurred hours, and several stops, earlier. Probably operational considerations. Just make sure that your time is synchronized with whoever is picking you up.

I leave March 8th

So Mercedeslove, leaving on 8 March you'll be shifting from standard to daylight time right away. No worry about the Coast Starlight, since the change will have already been made.

So Mercedeslove, leaving on 8 March you'll be shifting from standard to daylight time right away. No worry about the Coast Starlight, since the change will have already been made.
sweet. I plan on being wide awake during the daylight hours, and have my macbook loaded with the sims 2 for when it gets dark and it's hard to see.

sweet. I plan on being wide awake during the daylight hours, and have my macbook loaded with the sims 2 for when it gets dark and it's hard to see.
Enjoy your trip! And we'd love to to see a report and maybe pics!

Enjoy your trip! And we'd love to to see a report and maybe pics!

I have to get a new digi cam and I am working on trying to do that. I made small video clips last time with my MacBook, but it didn't work so well for pictures. But you can bet if I get a digi cam there will be pics. I have a bunch of 2 gig SD cards and a reader that I will be bringing with me. I am coming home on The Eagle so I will take a ton there.

.....During the journey you will have to set your watch ahead by two hours, once when you cross into the Mountain time zone and then once again when you cross into the Pacific time zone.
Alan, I believe the opposite is true going westbound. 10:00 am CT becomes 9:00am MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back