Are there coathooks in viewliner roomettes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dande

On the Silver meteor and Silver Star and can you fit 21 inch carry ins in the storage area? Trying to figure my packing strategy. Husband can carry his suit Jacket if there's someplace to hang it. Trip is almost here so my questions will stop soon

On the Silver meteor and Silver Star and can you fit 21 inch carry ins in the storage area? Trying to figure my packing strategy. Husband can carry his suit Jacket if there's someplace to hang it. Trip is almost here so my questions will stop soon
Yes, there are places for hanging things like jackets and suits. You also get two hangers to hang your clothes on.

A 21" should fit in the cubby hole above the door on the side that the commode/sink is.

Yes, there are places for hanging things like jackets and suits. You also get two hangers to hang your clothes on.

A 21" should fit in the cubby hole above the door on the side that the commode/sink is.
Thanks can you fit 2 21 inch bags up there?

Yes, you have to be able to lift your bags over your head too reach the storage cubby hole.

I travel alone and my 21" rolling duffle fits nicely on the shelf next to larger seat. I am fairly short and am not inclined to try to lift my bag into the cubby. I routinely use the hangers for my outerwear. If you need more hangers, ask your SCA.

Perhaps this will help:
upload_2019-9-28_17-11-43.png

https://content.amtrak.com/content/www-media/train_tour/viewliner/viewliner.html

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-28_17-9-11.png
    upload_2019-9-28_17-9-11.png
    321.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I am fairly short and am not inclined to try to lift my bag into the cubby. I routinely use the hangers for my outerwear. If you need more hangers, ask your SCA.

This is helpful information. There is no way that I could get a piece of luggage of any size into that cubby hole. I had thought thought that the SCA had any extra hangers to offer. Extra hangers during a Summer Amtrak trip probably would not be needed. But, during a Winter trip, having an additional one or two would be appreciated. The closest would be tight with clothes, but that's OK for awhile.

I use a 21" airline size carry on and a black 'gym bag' when I travel. The 21" bag fits under either seat in a roomette after removing my laptop and hanging clothing and anything else I will need during the trip. The gym bag sits on the shelf opposite the toilet in a Viewliner roomette, and on the 'step' in a Superliner.

Here is the ViewLiner luggage storage cubby
DSC01009.JPG

To see where the luggage storage is that AG1 posted a pic of, on the same view in the virtual tour click on the "info" link on the right of the and you can see where that compartment is located.

And now, for lesson learned the 'hard way'....

Don't put anything smaller than a suit case in that cubby. I left behind two compressible pillows several years ago. They must have rolled or slid out of sight.

I've never used the cubby since.

That is what a "checklist" is for ... if you can remember to use the list

However, I fully understand not wanting to leave anything behind again so never using that space. You walk right under it looking down where you are walking - not above your head as you exit the room.

The overnight storage bin in a viewliner roomette is approximately 21 inches deep, 16 inches tall and 35 and a half inches wide. However as you can see in AG1's photo, there is a railing which is designed to keep things in the bin. In order to fit luggage into the bin the luggage has to clear the railing and a ceiling light fixture. In my experience a bag which is 12 inches thick will just clear the opening. A bag thicker than that is questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back