Application timeline

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking of applying for employment with AMTRAK. Only snag is I'm not yet retired from my current job. I would be afforded time to do a day here and there, just not the 8-10 week training in DE. Any advice on how close to retirement I should wait before submitting an application?

It depends on what you're applying for but you basically apply for specific positions. When the posting period expires for that particular job, that's the end of your application. Once they fill that position, that is the end of the posting for that position.

In my opinion, it would be unwise for you to apply for a job, get hired and then not be able to commit. You won't get the chance to do that again..unless you have another name and social security number.

Therefore, it is my opinion that you should only  submit your application when you are READY and ABLE to COMMIT  if you are hired for the position you are applying for.....and only you can answer when that time is.

As Thirdrail7 indicated above, job postings are NOT 'open forever'.  Once they have received enough applications and, in all likelihood, already decided on which 'group' of applicants will be interviewed ('group' being 6-10 applicants for a single position, in my opinion), the job posting is removed.  Sometimes, they'll simply close the posting at a predetermined expiration date and decide if they have enough qualified candidates to interview.  Be advised, too, that if you're late (or going to be) to an interview or testing session, they will close the door in your face.  I saw that happen at my last job while I was being interviewed, the applicant behind me called to say he was going to be late and they told him 'don't bother to come!'

Also note that job postings are for a specific location.  Engineers and conductors have potential positions at most larger cities served by Amtrak, and some smaller ones as well.  OBS staff have bases at most large cities, mostly where trains terminate/originate.  Exempt employees (eg, white collar jobs) are generally located in a handful of cities, mostly on the east coast.  In general, Amtrak, like most other employers, prefer to hire from the specific area where the job will be performed.  And unless you're offered a management position, odds are they would not offer any relocation allowance.  Would they hire an OBS person from Springfield MA (where I live) for a position based out of New York City?  I'm pretty sure they will.  But it's on me to get to and from NYC...3+ hrs by train each way...then to prepare for then do a trip to, perhaps, Miami, hotel there (it may be a very brief stay if the train is late!) and it's back to New York again...then home.  Given that it's 3 hrs to NYC, would you really want to do that twice per week?  Or even 2.5 times/week.

As far as working until you accept a position and commit to a start date, I have to ask...Is it THAT important that you have zero days between one job and the next?  Remember, too, that training will likely be somewhere out of town at a low rate of pay for most hourly positions.  Another question is how 'fast' can you retire?  From put in the paperwork to walk out the door for the last time...2 weeks?  4 weeks?   I think you'd be better off being retired and THEN apply for a job.  

As a senior citizen, I can tell you flat out that finding a job over the age of 50 is quite difficult...even if you're significantly overqualified for the positions applied for.  I found that out the hard way when I had to un-retire due to financial problems and nobody wanted an 'geezer' computer geek.  I ended up working a number of hourly positions - none in computers - and ended working for CSX Intermodal as a clerk for 7 years.  I was stunned they hired me at age 60!   I guess they needed to make their 'inclusion' quotas.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to be able to get a job anytime at any age and anywhere....just have a CDL with a good driving record.... ;)

Back