Any Advice For First Timers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jenikaye

Hi All!!!

My honey and I are taking our first train trip in two weeks and were wondering if you all have any tips. Our iteneray is as follows...LAX(#4 Southwestern Cheif)-CHI(#28 Lakeshore ltd)-NYP. We have a deluxe bedroom the first leg and reserved coach the second. Any tips or hints would be super helpful :D THANKS!!!!!

PS

Do they have outlets in the rooms?

Jenikaye,

Yes they do have an electrical outlet in the deluxe rooms, and if you are lucky you may even find them in the coach. However, if you plan to use a laptop or other sensative device, bring a surge protector with you.

As for advice and tips. Bring a book or other entertainment, note if you bring a cd player or tape player you will need headphones to use it during your coach segment of your trip. While in the bedroom, as long as you don't turn it up too loud, you can go without headphones.

Make sure that you take all of your meals in the dining car while you are on the Chief, since they are complimentary to all who travel in a sleeper. Also note that you get free soft drinks and coffee in your sleeper.

Finally you may wish to check out the following web page from On Track On Line located here, which is full of hints and tips.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions.

Have a great trip! :)

Jenikaye,

One final thought that I just had, since you are traveling in a sleeper to Chicago this qualifies you as a First Class Passenger. This typically means that you have access to all of Amtrak's first class lounges. On the east coast they are called Club Acela, elsewhere they are called Metropolitan Lounges.

Anyone traveling in first class is entitled to use these lounges to await the departure of their train or when connecting to another train. While there are no lounges in California, there is one in Chicago. Even though you are not traveling in a sleeper or first class from Chicago to NY, since you rode first class on the Chief you are still allowed to use the lounge in Chicago. Just show the attendants in the lounge your ticket stubs from the Chief along with your tickets for the Lake Shore. They should allow you to wait in the lounge for your departure. Below you will find my usual description and directions that I normally give to anyone using first class. I didn't think of this originally since you were leaving from a station that does not have a lounge. Sorry.

Your sleeper tickets qualify you as a First Class passenger on Amtrak. As a first class passenger you are entitled to utilize Amtrak's first class lounge in Chicago. These lounges are a nice quiet refuge in the often-bustling train station. They have nice plush chairs, conference rooms, computer terminals, newspapers, TV's, free soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea and clean safe bathrooms. They also allow you to board your train before the rest of the masses.

In Chicago the lounge is called the "Metropolitan Lounge". It is located on the lower level of Union Station, which is also the track level. If you are standing in front of the Amtrak ticket windows, then the Amtrak waiting area is to your left. When you enter the main Amtrak waiting area through a sliding glass door, just walk forward and slightly to the left. There should be another sliding glass door along with a sign, unless they've changed the entrance in the last few months. Again, just show your tickets and relax. Note the Chicago lounge can be very busy and it sometimes can be hard to get a seat, but you still get the free stuff and priority boarding. Note: They will make you leave your carry-on bags in the luggage room inside the lounge, you cannot take them to your seat due to the crowded nature of the lounge.

I will also mention that there is a locked luggage area for first class passengers. You can find this room by making the first right after you walk through the first set of sliding glass doors that I mentioned above. Walk down a short hall towards the south waiting area and again make the first right available. This is where I usually leave my bags when I go through Chicago, as opposed to the unlocked side room in the actual lounge. I’ve never heard of any bags being stolen from the unlocked room, but there have been a few cases of people grabbing the wrong bag by accident. Note that I have not been in Chicago since 9/11, so it is possible that due to security reasons this locked room may have been closed.

Also never leave any valuables in your luggage or your bedroom when you are not there. Take all wallets and purses with you, when you are moving about the train. There are usually no problems, but don't tempt the fates. Also don't leave any important medicines in your luggage while in Chicago, keep it with you.

Hi Jenikaye,

Enjoy your trip. My wife and I just took our first Amtrak trip this summer, thogh not on the SWChief. We had a standard room. We were lucky; nearly everything was good, though the bathrooms in one of the sleepr cars didn't work. I think the trick is to realize that because Amtrak is in the midst of a financial crisis, some things just will go wrong. If you get on the train expecting something will go a bit awry, you'l be psycologically prepared and will be ecstatic if there are no problems. I believe train travel to be the most relaxing way to travel. Although I took a good novel to read, I found myself continually looking up and watching the world pass by. I wrote an account of the trip. If you would like me to email it to you, just email me at [email protected]

Have a good one.

Scott

Scott,

I will echo your comment about continually looking up to watch the world go by. This past Labor Day weekend, I took the California Zephyr from Mount Pleasant, Iowa all the way out to Emeryville, California. I took one (long) book, a CD player with a case of 24 CDs, and a book of crossword puzzles. I think I may have completed four or five crossword puzzles (mostly while drifting off to sleep in my sleeper), listened to all of two or three CDs, and didn't even open the book. (It was one I really wanted to read, too!) Granted, I don't travel by train that often and this was a route I had never traveled before so everything I saw was completely new to me.

But, still, there are few things more enjoyable than to simply watch the countryside unfold in front of you while you are ensconced in a comfortable train, especially a private sleeper compartment. I watched the beautiful sunsets both nights out and made sure I was up early enough in the mornings to watch the sunrise. They were all spectacular.

I also had a bathroom that didn't work but there were others I could use and I never had to wait. My sleeper attendant was none too attentive when I wanted my bed made up but it was easy enough to do on my own. The dining car experience was good and the lounge car attendant was a great guy. We talked baseball (my first day was the day the major league baseball strike was averted) and shared a disdain for the Chicago Cubs, particularly that hotdog Sammy Sosa! :lol:

Bottom line: It was a wonderful trip spent completely relaxed. That was my intention in taking the trip and I was not disappointed. Jenikaye, the best tip I can offer is to roll with the punches of whatever your trip offers. That will make most problems seem minor and the great moments will stand out even more. Do what you want to do. Don't do what you don't want to do. Whatever you do, have FUN!

seajay

Thanks, Bill. It's easy to write like that when you have good material to write about, right? :lol:

seajay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back