Anderson Speaks on Long Distance Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's been called the devil and much worse in the scores of posts on Facebook.
Actually, I have read all those three phrases verbatim multiple time. I have absolutely no idea what DA is complaining about.
default_unsure.png

p.69 • Last bullet point- Acquire new and Improve existing fleet.

Notice this tidbit about LD trains in "Mr. Anderson's" Fiscal report and Grant request- Page 31

<snip>

Now back to our regularly scheduled posts......." Anderson is devil"......"Anderson has to go"........"Anderson is trying to kill LD trains".

While I keep stating that summer is on its way and we should have better answers, I do note that you overlooked a few key differences between the 2017-2021 plan performed by the previous regime vs the 2019-2023 plan by the current regime:

Notably, this blurb from the 2017 plan:

Amtrak’s long distance routes are the backbone

of our national rail system. They provide the only

passenger rail service to more than half the states

and stations in the Amtrak network, connecting

the nation’s major regions and preserving intercity

mobility for underserved communities and populations.

Long distance passenger rail is a vital and

necessary part of our national transportation

system and economy.

The mission of Amtrak’s Long Distance Service

Line (LDSL), organized at Amtrak as Long Distance

Business Development within the Amtrak’s Marketing

& Business Development department, is

to deliver a quality travel experience in the most

cost-effective manner possible. The LDSL has crafted

a five year plan focusing on three key components:

optimizing operational efficiency; financial

improvement; and service delivery, all supported

on a strong safety and security platform. We are

facing increased competition in the marketplace

and the mandates of the FAST Act will challenge

us to become leaner while enhancing service and

growing ridership.
indeed. they see a lot of additional opportunity:

STRATEGIC ISSUES

Network Expansion

Amtrak’s long distance route network does not serve many areas of the country that would

benefit from Amtrak service. There is strong support among many elected officials and other

stakeholders for expanded and increased long distance service, including restoration of service

in the Gulf Coast Region between New Orleans and Florida and daily operation of the

New York-Washington-Chicago Cardinal. Amtrak supports smart expansion of long distance

service, which would require additional federal and state funding for capital costs and ongoing

operating costs not covered by passenger revenues.

Now, let's look at a key difference between the two plans. While both call for better usage and optimization of equipment, the Long Distance Plan from the 2019-2023 plan states:

Strategic Network Adjustments and Service Model Evaluation

Given changing markets and demographics, host railroad challenges, and other factors, the long-term viability of the LDSL and its and its various routes may depend on strategic adjustments to its current structure. The LDSL will evaluate these opportunities to improve Long Distance routes for the National Network, while seeking to serve through various means the current service territories. Any network adjustments would also impact fleet allocation and acquisition needs.

Service Model Evaluation

The changing national landscape and market for long distance travel means Amtrak must evaluate the long distance business and service model. The LDSL must determine the most appropriate service model for its customer base while remaining focused on cost discipline and efficiency. The LDSL will comprehensively assess its product offering, including markets, frequencies, timing and incremental costs of servicing a diverse customer base.

Increase Productivity and Accountability

Once the service model evaluation is complete, the LDSL will define its operating model and identify core business processes required to deliver long distance rail service through a matrixed organization.
<snip>

Not necessarily doomsday material, but hardly a ringing endorsement. Additionally, while the goals may seem laudable, there is isn't a commitment to rail. "Through various means" may mean reroutes with thruway connections. It may mean corridor trains with connecting buses or planes between sets. it is too early to tell, having listened to his comments about corridor service being the way, and we should concentrate on the revenue producing stations, I have reservations. This is particularly true when the demographics for the LDSL indicate that most people are using it for recreation and one of his top aides stated that the taxpayers shouldn't subsidize vacations.

The aforementioned evaluations are allegedly being performed right now, which is why I keep saying Summer is coming. That is when the reports were due. However,it states 2019 in the published FY plan. Additionally, record level funding was made to the LD network, prior to this plan. Perhaps that will show them that the LD network is more than the some of a few corridors.

We'll see.

Not necessarily doomsday material, but hardly a ringing endorsement. Additionally, while the goals may seem laudable, there is isn't a commitment to rail. "Through various means" may mean reroutes with thruway connections. It may mean corridor trains with connecting buses or planes between sets. it is too early to tell, having listened to his comments about corridor service being the way, and we should concentrate on the revenue producing stations, I have reservations. This is particularly true when the demographics for the LDSL indicate that most people are using it for recreation and one of his top aides stated that the taxpayers shouldn't subsidize vacations.

The aforementioned evaluations are allegedly being performed right now, which is why I keep saying Summer is coming. That is when the reports were due. However,it states 2019 in the published FY plan. Additionally, record level funding was made to the LD network, prior to this plan. Perhaps that will show them that the LD network is more than the some of a few corridors.

@Thirdrail, no not a ringing endorsement for LDs but also per his 5 year plan an acknowledgment that if all the LD trains are killed it will cost more and create an accounting nightmare. So we get what is presently happening. Cutting back on the high cost items of a LD train, food, certain amenities and station staff. It's not popular but apparently effects the bottom line for the positive. A year from now, I doubt we will see a drop in CL and LSL pax numbers.

@Devil's Advocate, I'm a realist, with Anderson's looking at the bottom line its a given that certain LD trains are on the chopping block. Not hard to SL Ltd, and Card are the LD trains in danger, how many years have these trains been in trouble. Is it good to the cities that will be missing service, of course not. But it may be advantageous to the company as a whole freeing up inventory that could to be used to bolster other LD trains. Since I am not seeing a new LD equipment order for a long time, unless a congressman wants another job works program for his district and finds money to pay for it. IMO, that's just reality.

In regards the SWC being cancelled, not seeing it. I wander Amtrak withholding matching money was a signal from Anderson to move the SWC to the main line through Clovis, so Amtrak would not be on the hook for upkeep on the present line.

<snip>

We'll see.
Thirdrail, what bugs me is the use of some of the unconstrained phrases while alluding to "optimization" of service. I think the sections that you have excerpted are precisely the ones that had me raise at least one eyebrow. But as you say, we'll see. I think also when we start seeing whiffs of the equipment plan details that are allegedly under development, that will give some more (or less) confidence in whether things are headed in an OK direction or not. This wait and see though is just killing me.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's been called the devil and much worse in the scores of posts on Facebook.
Um, this isn't Facebook. Maybe you're angry at the wrong people.
I'm not angry at anyone, and the original claim wasn't limited to this site.
He says "back to our regularly scheduled posts" which sounds like it refers to comments here on AU. He never says "as seen at various times on random unnamed and unlinked places on the wider Internet."

Go 45 minutes into interview (though whole video is informative) and Anderson speaks of Superliner 1 and 2 replacement or refurbish. Did not know per the video Amfleet IIs are being refurbished too.

Back