Amtrak's New Train Tracker Map

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this using GPS or is it simply using arrival/departure times?

Just noticed the details shows MPH. Looks like it IS using GPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on a quick glance, it's definitely using GPS (and I'd be surprised if it was any different). It gives actual current location, plus train speed.

Based on a quick glance, it's definitely using GPS (and I'd be surprised if it was any different). It gives actual current location, plus train speed.
Yes, I think so. It looks as if it will provide much more specific info on train location and speed than Amtrak Status Maps does, but Status Maps provides a superior overview of the system on-time status and the schedule keeping of each train.

My initial thought is that the Tracker Map will allow people to monitor train speeds over various segments, so we can see just how fast or slow segments are. Without having to ride the train with our own GPS. So, find out from the comfort of home where the Cardinal or SL crawls along? Where the Regionals crank along at 120-125 mph? Amtrak is spending more money this year on Data Processing Services; the website and reservation system upgrades are part of the spending effort.

I love it! Even shows #6 traversing the detour in Wyoming, chugging along at 38MPH. :p

It's even tracking the California Zephyrs that are on the detour in Colorado and Wyoming. That's really nice.

Looks like Google blocked Amtrak from operating the map. Probably demanding money.

This is GPS and real-time uplink base. As I write this, the California Zephyr is in Wyoming going at 38 mph, no where near a red route line or a station. We can now follow trains on detour routes.

Chrome works for me using Windows. Internet Explorer however I could not get the map to work. Now what would be cool would be to have this map added to the Amtrak App.

If it stops working for you, try shutting your browser down and restarting it.

This thing even works on my iPhone. If they would put it in the app or create a separate app for it, that would be even more awesome.

Not all trains are updated as often as you'd think, 161 is shown as sitting in OSB with its last update 27min ago.

EDIT: Whoops I meant NHV. Could be the engine change, so what exactly is being tracked? Cafe cars or engines?

What's happening with Amtrak? First an updated page for fares, e-vouchers becoming truly electronic next month, and now this?

Amtrak's getting their game on! And if you're asking me, I'm liking most of these changes.

(John Bobinyec, I still like your map as well...gives a better overview of the system, how late trains are, etc. It's also very nice for the other features such as tracking a train across its route and seeing times in one page, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back