Amtrak to DCA airport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next month we’ll be on a regional train from Richmond to Washington. Is it it better to get off at Alexandria or Washington to catch a flight at DCA? Which WMATA route would we use, or is it better to use Uber/Lyft?

Next month we’ll be on a regional train from Richmond to Washington. Is it it better to get off at Alexandria or Washington to catch a flight at DCA? Which WMATA route would we use, or is it better to use Uber/Lyft?

Definitely Alexandria. Alexandria Amtrak is adjacent to the King St - Old Town Metro station. Take any inbound Metro train (Blue or Yellow line) two stops to the DCA Airport station.

I second Alexandria. As far as using WMATA, it depends what day and time you'd be traveling. When, and how long is your connection time to your flight?

I second Alexandria. As far as using WMATA, it depends what day and time you'd be traveling. When, and how long is your connection time to your flight?

And here’s a third recommendation for rhe Alexandria station connection from Amtrak to DCA airport. Nothing could be easier.

Yes the Alexandria station is the best option. Take the BLUE or YELLOW metro to get to DCA
It is a little bit of a walk on the uneven sidewalk - so hopefully you dont have too much luggage. The station is currently in the midst of a major project so some sidewalks may be blocked - but this map shows clear access. Since many commuters use VRE also from the Alexandria metro station - they will want to keep a path open for those folks.
https://www.alexandriava.gov/uploadedFiles/tes/WebBoxes/2018-07-31_KSM General Flyer_FINAL.pdf

For others considering this - keep in mind that most (all?) the metro stations south of DCA will be closed for 4 months this summer. There will be shuttle busses so you still have a way to the airport just not as easy as metro. Check the WMATA site closer to your trip but currently it is scheduled for May 25 - Sept 2 (I have also heard sept 8)
https://ggwash.org/view/70153/metro...about-metros-bus-shuttle-plan-for-next-summer

Take an Uber. It can be faster than Metro (once you account for headways) and less of a hassle with luggage. If there's anything I think I can describe on expert level, it is travel times in that area by the various modes, having lived in the Braddock Road Metro's walkshed for most of the last decade.

Thanks for all the great advice. This really is a knowledgeable forum. With two sons in the northeast and us in SC, I'm sure we'll use this at some point as DCA fares are occasionally cheaper than BWI. But our plans have changed and we will be taking train 90 to Wilmington, DE from Florence, then NEC back to Ashland, VA for a college event, and then return home on 89. We had originally planned to fly from Charlotte.

Back